Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

3 hours ago, BR(S) said:

It works fine here (Chrome).

I'm on Google Chrome as well - this is what I get:

This site can’t be reached

The web page at https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

21 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I'm on Google Chrome as well - this is what I get:

This site can’t be reached

The web page at https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Don't worry, they are same price as Rails (more or less). Around 20% discount.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2023 at 12:21, atom3624 said:

Anyone know if the Class 68 motor can be used in the Class 59?

Reckon I've worn down the brushes on my 59 and it's become hesitant ...

Separate Class 59 spares aren't listed in DCC Spares.

I'll drop them a line anyway.

Al.

Well, DCC Spares recognised my request for assistance, then, erm, that's it - no actual reply ... never mind ...

I finally opened her up quite a bit more, removed the brace - it's not a cradle - and lifted out the motor.

Powered up, minimum power required compared well with all larger locomotives in both directions, and once warmed up, motor speed was near-matched in both directions - motor is fine.

I replaced the motor, connected up the dogbones, and ... very slow!!

The dogbones have to be located firmly into the motor drive cups, then locate into the bogies, where they slide.  Sorted.

Back onto the track - poor again!

Mine's a simple DC locomotive, but I now found the flywheel was catching the exhaust 'reservoir' - don't need it, so left it off, reconnected all, and ... slow again!!

The motor brace doesn't centre the motor and one flywheel was catching one side, so I centred and have now placed a piece of cardboard on both sides of the motor to better-centre it - perfect again!

Motor is fine.

Running is excellent again.

Interesting experience.

Thought I'd share.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

It's a centre motor, with twin shafts,  one each end, each with hollowed out brass flywheels.

Into each flywheel is fitted a slotted plastic cup.  This matches the slotted plastic cup in each of the 2 bogies.

Between the slotted cups, each end, is the plastic dogbone.

This is a plastic shaft, which narrows each end, with each having a moulded ball with plastic cross pin.

This cross pin fits into the slotted plastic cups.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2023 at 12:21, atom3624 said:

Anyone know if the Class 68 motor can be used in the Class 59?

Reckon I've worn down the brushes on my 59 and it's become hesitant ...

Separate Class 59 spares aren't listed in DCC Spares.

I'll drop them a line anyway.

Al.

you could try this..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002670420818.html

its not the same motor that Dapol uses, In the 59, (but is in the 73),  it is pretty much identical to the motor used in the Hattons 66, a/s 92 etc.

The size is fairly standard, so a Heljan Type2 should also work, as would a Mehano or a Piko motor.

Flywheels and cups would need to be swapped.

its worthwhile to have in your spares box regardless as its quite common.

• Like 1

I've actually built up a few spare Bachmann motors, but it's fair comment.

I do have an update to this little tale of mine.

Since removing the smoke generator reservoir, the flywheel no longer catches.

The motor is not 'firmly' located, the overhead brace sort-of holds it, but this means it could feasibly displace slightlyfore/aft, side/side, but ... I opened her up again this morning.

She made a 'catching' noise when starting, but power required was acceptably low, so very little resistance.  After perhaps 6 feet of running she went quiet.

The motor appeared well centred, so the slips of cardboard work.

Pressing on TOP of the motor at the reservoir (ex. for me) end, it wobbled.  Motor is definitely one piece, but like it was pivoting on something below - this had obviously slightly raised this end, causing it to catch on the reservoir.

'Gentle but firm' press pushed the motor flat and level, nothing catching and no weird noises - all is well, and I could probably replace the reservoir, but don't have a need.

All is well again.  Design was fine.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, daz9284 said:

Hi all, does anyone know where I can buy the cab end tie down eyes from? So I can add them onto one end of 59101 and both ends 59206?

Does anyone know why 59101 only has them at one end?

Cheers

Darryl 

when 59101 was delivered it was tied down onto the deck of the ship as 'deck cargo' rather than placed into the hold of the ship unlike 59102-4, 59101 went on top of the hold cover while the other 3 were underneath. 59101 was heavily sheeted too, as the ship they were on was quite small compared to most ocean going vessels

I'm guessing like many 66's they have had the tiedown eyes removed for different reasons, access etc

Original Photos - Hugh Searle

image.png.c47edd2e293c4be95799f1a8308731da.png

image.png.02036236078be76380cb7c07e8b68482.png

Edited by LaGrange
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

when 59101 was delivered it was tied down onto the deck of the ship as 'deck cargo' rather than placed into the hold of the ship unlike 59102-4, 59101 went on top of the hold cover while the other 3 were underneath. 59101 was heavily sheeted too, as the ship they were on was quite small compared to most ocean going vessels

I'm guessing like many 66's they have had the tiedown eyes removed for different reasons, access etc

I've just been looking at pictures of 59101 and it seems it had them in its ARC days but it looks like it had them removed in its later years as images if it in Hanson livery have them removed. Maybe accident damage at one end and they were removed? 

4 hours ago, daz9284 said:

I've just been looking at pictures of 59101 and it seems it had them in its ARC days but it looks like it had them removed in its later years as images if it in Hanson livery have them removed. Maybe accident damage at one end and they were removed? 

Yes several 59s have lost the tie downs one end or other. All due to collisions as far as I'm aware. On 59101 in July 09, the yellow panel on no.1 end looks very fresh and lacking in tie downs, presumably recently repainted.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, daz9284 said:

Hi all, does anyone know where I can buy the cab end tie down eyes from? So I can add them onto one end of 59101 and both ends 59206?

Does anyone know why 59101 only has them at one end?

Cheers

Darryl 

would Hattons 66 eyes work ?

image.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/03/2023 at 17:53, Markn said:

According to a Hattons email, it sounds like the GBRF Gaugemaster special has now been delayed until March 2024 which is disappointing.  It was due this month, so how did it just loose a year!?!

Maybe its waiting for the real thing to emerge from Eastleigh ?

• Funny 1

On 21/03/2023 at 22:23, atom3624 said:

I've actually built up a few spare Bachmann motors, but it's fair comment.

I do have an update to this little tale of mine.

Since removing the smoke generator reservoir, the flywheel no longer catches.

The motor is not 'firmly' located, the overhead brace sort-of holds it, but this means it could feasibly displace slightlyfore/aft, side/side, but ... I opened her up again this morning.

She made a 'catching' noise when starting, but power required was acceptably low, so very little resistance.  After perhaps 6 feet of running she went quiet.

The motor appeared well centred, so the slips of cardboard work.

Pressing on TOP of the motor at the reservoir (ex. for me) end, it wobbled.  Motor is definitely one piece, but like it was pivoting on something below - this had obviously slightly raised this end, causing it to catch on the reservoir.

'Gentle but firm' press pushed the motor flat and level, nothing catching and no weird noises - all is well, and I could probably replace the reservoir, but don't have a need.

All is well again.  Design was fine.

Al.

Strange coincidence!

I just received an email stating my request was closed by DCC Spares - without ever receiving an email update!

Looking at the electronically indicated timeline, they replied immediately, but never sent it to me email / inbox.

For everyone's future reference, it reads as follows:

Hi Alan

No the Class 68 will not fit into the Class 59. If you get in touch with Dapol, they have class 59 spares there.

Al.