Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

Ran 59 204 at half power for another 'one hour session' - perfectly smooth, no derailments, and seemingly slightly 'looser', and when opened up, seemed to rev higher.

A very nice-running locomotive - weighed in at 672g.

UPDATE: Continues to run perfectly, and the 'top-end' appears to have increased slightly.  Always a super-smooth running locomotive.  Great addition - now to try and wangle how to get a rake of hoppers without divorce proceedings!!

Just had to write something on Pg. 59 of the Class 59 thread !!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

On 25/01/2023 at 22:07, Rhysb said:

Well I have “endeavoured” to improve one of my 59’s. Taking some of Ian’s (Temeraire) and Richard’s (Everard Junction) ideas to make 59001. Last thing I added as per the real thing was the bell!

4AF1BC24-0106-4808-BD58-18A2F862BE2F.jpeg.88f9dad86ccc5661c5bdc9c602338838.jpegF93DDD6E-DA01-4D20-838D-07D0FFDF96AD.jpeg.d17f0770ec59c6d3fc1b1655d25cb961.jpeg72CFC358-E6A7-416E-B220-2DA727C49108.jpeg.f77cdedd38a781b8f0f9dae5530002bf.jpeg

Thanks

Rhys

I was disappointed that Dapol didn’t produce one of the first four in original condition, which I think was the original intention. What wonderful names! By the time I made my mind up that the next best would be 59206 in DB red, all the sound-no-smoke versions had gone, so I have had to make do with a plain digital version. I’m aware of the shortcomings in the model but I still love it. Disconcerted at first by what appeared to be broken brake pipes, I realised that Dapol had produced short ones for use with the tension lock couplers and long ones for use where the coupler has been removed – a very nice touch. Here’s something to gladden the heart of any rivet counter. The nameplate has been printed correctly with a stop after the “F” but the etched nameplate supplied omits it.*

*My apologies to Dapol. Studied more closely in better light, the stop is there after the “F”.

Edited by No Decorum
Correction.
  • Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 22:07, Rhysb said:

Well I have “endeavoured” to improve one of my 59’s. Taking some of Ian’s (Temeraire) and Richard’s (Everard Junction) ideas to make 59001. Last thing I added as per the real thing was the bell!

72CFC358-E6A7-416E-B220-2DA727C49108.jpeg.f77cdedd38a781b8f0f9dae5530002bf.jpeg

Thanks

Rhys

Almost there - did the etched plates you fitted include a worksplate?? 59001-4 have the older style ones fitted

image.png.af0cba633ca8e0d292dbff2998ae8f14.png

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for those in the know - the latest Hornby magazine review says that the smoke generator on board runs ‘independently’ of the decoder. Does this mean that I’d be able to replace the fitted decoder with a Hornby Bluetooth decoder without affecting its functionality, or is the installed chip the only one which would work the system properly?

From the limited information I have it would appear  any chip fitted has no control over the smoke unit.  the smoke generator is fed directly from the main board and works off motor load . Hence only operating when the loco moves and will not work again until the loco stops and moves off again . Happy to be corrected if anyone know different

Edited by Oulton TMD
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find with my 2 Class 68's and my 59, the motor seems to 'warm up' - not as in getting hot, but setting at half or just above power, it will increase speed after perhaps five to seven minutes, then maintain that for an hour without issue - I'll shut off after an hour and change motive power.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Andy7 said:

Today I have given my new 59 an extended run on the layout. Fair play to Dapol, it’s very quiet, powerful and smooth. It definitely took way too long to arrive but at least it runs great. I have modified the bits that were wrong and it has had a full repaint. Just some details to sort and weathering. A very nice loco overall.

C7DAFFC7-67AA-4D9D-BEA0-71A1BFE7968A.jpeg

Amazing Paint job, that is the 59 livery I am waiting for.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the DB livery one today from trident trains, I hadn’t planned on getting one but I had a credit note with Richard for some surplus items I sold to him so it cost me nothing out of my pocket complete with a DCC decoder, unfortunately he’d sold out of the DCC fitted one or I’d have just got that save messing about fitting a chip

hopefully get it chipped up soon and out on the layout, not quite sure what to run it with though, got some coalfish and lobsters etc but that’s about it 

6 hours ago, big jim said:

hopefully get it chipped up soon and out on the layout, not quite sure what to run it with though, got some coalfish and lobsters etc but that’s about it 

Red 59/2s often ran on the engineers trippers, so any mix of engineers wagons easily be seen. They also worked ballasts to site too. There was also trials of them on coal ex Liverpool coal terminal, per this Flickr link, so they weren't just constrained to Mendip centric work.

Red 59/2 @ Warrington. 2/3/10

They also did some work on Margam based trains such as steel and the Murco tanks.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Steadfast said:

There was also trials of them on coal ex Liverpool coal terminal, per this Flickr link, 

Red 59/2 @ Warrington. 2/3/10

(Dons flame suit)

IIRC, sent back as inferior to the 60s on this job.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, newbryford said:

(Dons flame suit)

IIRC, sent back as inferior to the 60s on this job.

Different driving technique apparently 😉 I know drivers that would take a 59 over a 60 any day, and equally drivers that love a 60.

On a 60 the creep control is in from a standing start, with a 59 it comes in from (I think from memory) 4 mph. 

Jo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, big jim said:

I did convey a DB 59 in the consist of 6V46 while I was with colas, think I had a 70 up front, can’t find the pic at the moment 

Yeah M50 / V46 was used to trip a few 59s to and from Crewe and Toton, including the Mendip ones. GSM-R was fitted to them all at Crewe from memory. 

Jo

22 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

For whom the bell tolls...

I wonder why 59101 never got a bell, unlike 59001 and 59201?

P1330637 (2).JPG

No idea, I've asked several people over the years. I know a man who may know, I'll try to remember to ask next time I see him. 

Jo