Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Well I’m hoping they’ll be available at the Warley show, after buying 2 excellent graffitied wagons from TMC at GETS and pointing out all the stuff I have on preorder from Accurascale I’ve been banned from ordering anything more until the new year. The only concession is that I can get something when we go to the NEC and I really want 59103 

Edited by StuAllen

On 10/10/2022 at 09:55, WCML100 said:

I spoke with one of the Dapol team on Saturday regarding the 59's on show, and they confirmed they were in fact production models on display. 

Did you get the opportunity to ask about the oversized silencers? Ruining the overall look of the model for me unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Did you get the opportunity to ask about the oversized silencers? Ruining the overall look of the model for me unfortunately.

Is it oversized, or just positioned high. Is the smoke generator, or at least the space for it still a part of this model though

Agreed Ed. I think it’s just positioned high. If you look carefully, on the model the mounting lugs are visible just above the roof line cut out. But on the prototype the roof line hides these.

Good point about the smoke generator. Could well be the reason why this is higher than it should be.

Guy

Edited by lyneux

17 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Agreed Ed. I think it’s just positioned high. If you look carefully, on the model the mounting lugs are visible just above the roof line cut out. But on the prototype the roof line hides these.

Good point about the smoke generator. Could well be the reason why this is higher than it should be.

Guy

If it is, theres a bit of plastic coming out to make it sit lower. The preproduction bodies I saw had a piece under where the silencer goes, obviously a 'feed' for the smoke generator to stop the plastic from being melted, although this could also have been a cradle/surround for a speaker. 

This is going to be another 68 / 73 - 'Nice model but.........' A decent mechanism will save it for me though

11 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Are the radio pods in the correct area on all these types..? Does anybody know.. How did they differ onn all 3 types , if at all?

They did move around, depending on era. @Steadfast would have the knowledge in his brain, I need to rely on paper based methods...

59001-4 were delivered without them, but soon gained them, as did all mainline locos in the late 80's. 59005 (possibly) and 59101-4 onwards were delivered with 2. Not sure about the 59/2's given the rapid advances in radio technology they may have have only had 1 from new - I'm not sure...

Edited by LaGrange
asleep at the wheel

10 hours ago, LaGrange said:

They did move around, depending on era. @Steadfast would have the knowledge in his brain, I need to rely on paper based methods...

Oh crikey that's a push on my little brain! Stuff remembering how to drive a train or getting dressed in the morning, I can however remember 59 variations!

All 59s have two radio pods, one at each end. 

59001 - 004 were built without, then had them fitted on little plinths, one over each cab. At no. 1 end, these are over the middle of the cab.

59003 lost its NRN pods and plinths before entering service with GBRf.

Contrasting colours

59005, 59101 - 59104 feature them in rebates rather than on raised plinths, and were fitted from the factory. No.1 end is close to the exhaust, no. 2 end in the rebate between opening roof hatches and cooler group roof grill.

Here we have 59101 no.1 end on the left,  59001 no.2 end on the right, comparing the plinth and rebate styles

59101 59001

59/2 is basically the same as the 59/1s, but the positioning of the pods is slightly different within the recess.

All photos linked from Flickr. 

@Marcoblanco I don't think any of the models are 100%. I think they've done an attempt at the 59/0 style in the 59/1 or /2 style. Fixable with modelling as Guy pointed out, but frustrating on a brand new model!

Jo

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can’t remember which video I watched but it said they have rotating axle boxes like the Hattons 66. 
I am a fan of the 59, but trying to avoid the Dapol version as I have just bought the Bachmann 47. 
Being a fan of railways in parts of the world where one does not live is not cheap with shipping and all.

• Like 1

wow thanks to Steadfast I'm even more confused re the Radio pods and may as well keep my Lima/Hornby ones as they are; I was actually looking over my 'Limby' versions recently which I converted around 2017/18, sound lights etc, a Lima Hanson onto a Hornby chassis etc etc.. didn't stretch to Mr biffo sounds as his wasn't out at the time but used coastal sounds version... I actually thought at the time the Dapol one will be here soon and is there any point doing all this work..?  here we are in 2022 and the Dapol version hasn't arrived yet.. lol

• Like 1

So the main ares of concern (the bits they messed up)....

The exhaust sits far to high....

The NRN pods are all wrong on all models...

The chassis shape under the cabs looks nothing like the real thing...

Are people really still going to buy these with those errors??? Revolutions N scale model 59 looks to be near perfect in every way and it seems they've designed and made it in 6 weeks.... Dapol have taken what, 6 years and made these basic errors, in my eyes its really not good enough, it almost stinks of contempt towards the purchaser. This class 59 should have been on par with the Hattons class 66 which has the right shaped chassis under the cab, to the same standards as the Accurascale 37s and  forthcoming Cavalex 56 but its not!

I think what really pi$$e$ me off is that a lot of these issues were pointed out to Dapol at various stages, do they not listen to their customers, a lot of people even post reference photos, to pluck an example look at Steadfasts posts and reference photos.... he has posted enough on this page alone to show what models should have what NRNs on the roof and where and thats before you start looking at the other 43 pages on this thread!

I just feel utter disappointment looking at these Dapol 59s, ive made my decision now, i won't be buying any. I will wait to see if Dapol improve the model on any further production runs, or just hope and pray that Revolution upscale theirs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Are people really still going to buy these with those errors??? Revolutions N scale model 59 looks to be near perfect in every way and it seems they've designed and made it in 6 weeks.... Dapol have taken what, 6 years and made these basic errors, in my eyes its really not good enough, it almost stinks of contempt towards the purchaser. This class 59 should have been on par with the Hattons class 66 which has the right shaped chassis under the cab, to the same standards as the Accurascale 37s and  forthcoming Cavalex 56 but its not!

I think what really pi$$e$ me off is that a lot of these issues were pointed out to Dapol at various stages, do they not listen to their customers, a lot of people even post reference photos, to pluck an example look at Steadfasts posts and reference photos.... he has posted enough on this page alone to show what models should have what NRNs on the roof and where and thats before you start looking at the other 43 pages on this thread!

I just feel utter disappointment looking at these Dapol 59s, ive made my decision now, i won't be buying any. I will wait to see if Dapol improve the model on any further production runs, or just hope and pray that Revolution upscale theirs.

Largely agree and in todays, everything available to you at the touch of a button, even more annoying. You only have to look at the new order manufacturers to see how it should be done!

Still, at the pre-order price I committed to (if indeed that holds) I will buy one. The details will bother me but I always intended to repaint when I got one in my hands. Just now I will have to do some tweaking before paint.

I can see eyes rolling (my missus for one) and I agree but I only really work on the premise of whatever i am buying being largely right. The rest I can amend and will enjoy so doing no doubt. There isn’t much that I buy and only need to weather, although one manufacturer is trying to ease my work bench workload though (thanks, you know who you are!). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

All fixable, especially the first two, but agreed about long pointed out errors and still not being changed

Held the first decorated samples in October 2018..... and one very simple thing has remained unchanged, the EWS font is used on the repeated numbers on the front of the ARC/National Power ones as opposed to Rail Alphabet. As yet Dapol have yet to announce EWS or DB 59/2's. But other things such as the size of the running light clusters on the 59/0 have been correctly changed. 

But its still not the OO gauge RTR loco with the longest gestation period.... 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

All fixable, especially the first two, but agreed about long pointed out errors and still not being changed

But on a £150 brand new model which has been in development for so many years, it should never be necessary to fix such basic errors out of the box!!!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the reactions on here, it is being made to sound like the loco is a complete pup?

I look at a loco and observe how it runs, what it can pull - and overall, ask myself does it convey a good representation of the original.

Presenting it at an exhibition, demands that it adds an acceptable, additional dimension, to satisfy people's expectations on their day out.

Generally, these models, are light years ahead of what we've had to accept.

The image of NP 59204, presented on Kernow Models site, against the backcloth of one of Chris Nevards excellent dioramas, looks excellent to me.

However, I do accept that the experience of stand up operating at shows is different to scrutinising something on the workbench, when we rest our chin on the worktop to get an  "eye-level" experience.

I am simply frustrated, just waiting for it to be delivered.

I hope we may all be a little more satisfied, when we have all given the beast a a good look over, and then run the thing!

Just get the damn thing delivered to your punters - Dapol !!!!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Judging by the reactions on here, it is being made to sound like the loco is a complete pup?

I look at a loco and observe how it runs, what it can pull - and overall, ask myself does it convey a good representation of the original.

Presenting it at an exhibition, demands that it adds an acceptable, additional dimension, to satisfy people's expectations on their day out.

Generally, these models, are light years ahead of what we've had to accept.

The image of NP 59204, presented on Kernow Models site, against the backcloth of one of Chris Nevards excellent dioramas, looks excellent to me.

However, I do accept that the experience of stand up operating at shows is different to scrutinising something on the workbench, when we rest our chin on the worktop to get an  "eye-level" experience.

I am simply frustrated, just waiting for it to be delivered.

I hope we may all be a little more satisfied, when we have all given the beast a a good look over, and then run the thing!

Just get the damn thing delivered to your punters - Dapol !!!!!

I think the issue is after six years in the making a lot thought we would be down to checking the accuracy of the stitching on the drivers seat other than major items been just not right,i still think manufacturers are thinking they make toys not models and are been upstaged by the new kids on the blocks high fidelity at a reasonable cost,probably more chance of getting the real ones made to match the models than them doing anything to get them correct to real life.Shame as you say that they dont engage and take note with the the knowledge base what is here on RMW,they should want it right themselves as it is their reputation at stake,it is what it is i guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully one of the new kids on the block will have been reading this thread and decide to produce a more accurate representation of a 59 in half the time, or even better are producing one in secret and have been for years.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Zero chance of that I'd say. Dapol have suddenly rejuvenated their N gauge 59 once Revolution announced one, I'm interested to see how that plays out. At this advanced stage I can't see there's room for another OO gauge one without it being a huge commercial risk.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, John M Upton said:

But on a £150 brand new model which has been in development for so many years, it should never be necessary to fix such basic errors out of the box!!!

The Fell ?

£150 was so yesterdays price. £240 is nearer todays price.

Hattons 66’s were imo a bargain and way ahead of their time.

I’d take this 59 whilst you can, its not going to get any better.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 5