Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

24 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Good luck getting to Warley on Saturday with the ASLEF strike with 12 companies drivers coming out on strike 

I've got this magical contraption made out of metal with four wheels. It's like some kind of mechanised horse that is able to whisk me safely and in great comfort from where I live to almost any location in the UK.

I think other people might have them too?

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• Moderators
4 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Warley (2022) for their release or not, that is the question...

There is a possibility, from the conversation I had yesterday. If not, very shortly after.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 minutes ago, lyneux said:

I've got this magical contraption made out of metal with four wheels. It's like some kind of mechanised horse that is able to whisk me safely and in great comfort from where I live to almost any location in the UK.

You a bus driver lyneux

• Funny 4

17 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Do you fancy giving me a lift Guy? I don't fancy driving all the way back to Londinium in the dark.

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2022 at 22:53, newbryford said:

It's not just ESU that make heavy models.

The ESU 66 is quoted as being 590g

The Hornby 67 is 645g (!), a Hornby 60 is 670g and a Hattons 66 is 750g

The Dapol 68 and Accurscale d*lt*c are also up there.

So I'm going to assume - yes , I know that's dangerous - but I would expect the Dapol 59 to tip the scales towards the heavyweight end.

you are sams trains and i claim my £5

25 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Just live closer like what I do.

you can live as close or as far away as you like its the last 1/4 mile from the M42 into the NEC carparks thats the problem!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

7 years, 1 month and 1 week and this page has turned in a page of Jolliousness Happius…

smiles all round.

My 59’s are paid up.

With mk5’s, 59’s, 92’s and 37’s all landing at once, are we all deliriously happy and waiting for credit cards to come back and eat us in December ?

Warley… i’m going up early, theres an industry event around HS2 on Wednesday / Thursday in Brum.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/11/2022 at 18:26, adb968008 said:

7 years, 1 month and 1 week and this page has turned in a page of Jolliousness Happius…

smiles all round.

My 59’s are paid up.

With mk5’s, 59’s, 92’s and 37’s all landing at once, are we all deliriously happy and waiting for credit cards to come back and eat us in December ?

Warley… i’m going up early, theres an industry event around HS2 on Wednesday / Thursday in Brum.

Its incredible really - over 7 years from them being announced and still waiting, with what's been, at best, intermittent communication from Dapol.

Compare and contrast with other younger, dare I say more energetic businesses, and the differences in terms of project / product management and all round customer engagement are quite staggering. 

Hopefully lessons can be learnt for the future.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mooresby said:

Its incredible really - over 7 years from them being announced and still waiting, with what's been, at best, intermittent communication from Dapol.

Compare and contrast with other younger, dare I say more energetic businesses, and the differences in terms of project / product management and all round customer engagement are quite staggering. 

Hopefully lessons can be learnt for the future.

In fairness the 59 does seem to have been a bit of an outlier for Dapol . They have delivered other models in a shorter time frame . The 59 is not typical

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My preorder with a certain Sheffield based retailer has increased by around £11, despite preordering before 1st November when Dapol said the price increase would take effect and orders placed beforehand would be subject to the original price. Have asked for a response but still waiting. Maybe because the 59 was announced sooo long ago it had to have a price increase? Anyway, may cancel because I only pre-ordered thinking the lower price would be guaranteed, I'm sure the 59s will be widely available, and maybe discounted at some stage, you can pick up the latest 73s from Kernow with a 4-TC for a very reasonable price.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

My preorder with a certain Sheffield based retailer has increased by around £11, despite preordering before 1st November when Dapol said the price increase would take effect and orders placed beforehand would be subject to the original price. Have asked for a response but still waiting. Maybe because the 59 was announced sooo long ago it had to have a price increase? Anyway, may cancel because I only pre-ordered thinking the lower price would be guaranteed, I'm sure the 59s will be widely available, and maybe discounted at some stage, you can pick up the latest 73s from Kernow with a 4-TC for a very reasonable price.

Other retailers are more, should we say, fair…

I canceled my order at Rails and re-ordered at the original price with another retailer who was honouring the price at the dates that Dapol had indicated to order by.

Both Hattons and Rails have been guilty of this the past few weeks, so as I’m being sand bagged, despite ordering 3+ years ago. I was more than happy to drop my loyalty to elsewhere…

compare this behaviour to Kernows very personal email about the Railmotor and their generous offer. 

it’s worth shopping around out there. Also consider if they have locked their price in before the deadline, and increased to post deadline pricing, it’s not unknown for these retailers to DFS them back to the old price displayed as a big discount.

we are about to extend into a very tough economic environment for Hobby spend, loyalty is everything to survival in that, as the hobby will attrite and new customers will be hard to find.

FYI My 59 order was switched to Colletts models, DCC Ready is still £136.

https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Dapol-4d-005-002-class-59-diesel-db-schenker-livery-john-f-yeoman/

several other retailers are still honouring the prices Dapol quoted for orders placed before the deadline.

Consider what your loyalty is worth and make your own choices.. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks, I hadn't spotted Colletts were still low, he's normally very good BUT has done the same thing when it actually comes to the models arriving - he doesn't update the website until very close to arrival so I would expect that price to also rise, with emails to customers. I think it happened with some Heljan 33s back in the day, because I had two on order he honoured it.

On 14/11/2022 at 18:26, adb968008 said:

smiles all round.

My 59’s are paid up.

Genuinely pleased for you.  Given the age of the real 59s and 92s I am surprised it has taken this long to get some decent representations into the modellers mitts.  Obviously Mk5s less so because they are pretty new. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Thanks, I hadn't spotted Colletts were still low, he's normally very good BUT has done the same thing when it actually comes to the models arriving - he doesn't update the website until very close to arrival so I would expect that price to also rise, with emails to customers. I think it happened with some Heljan 33s back in the day, because I had two on order he honoured it.

Thanks for the heads up on that, will keep posted.

i’m planning a respray already.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Genuinely pleased for you.  Given the age of the real 59s and 92s I am surprised it has taken this long to get some decent representations into the modellers mitts.  Obviously Mk5s less so because they are pretty new. 

Thanks but its also closure too…

with 45/1’s, 59’s and 92’s this year… 02’s, even 11’s coming the modern image gaps are filled from end to end pretty much…

With not much real interest in units from the manufacturers (142’s and VEPs are the only ones I see to arrive in 2023)… i’m not sure where to go next year.. duplicating another loco tooling might feel good for a manufacturer to have a competitive latest and greatest, but as i’m invested in already, duplication doesn't really cut it for me, especially at higher prices.

I think 86/2’s and 73/9’s are my gap after this that i’d buy multiple.

unless an 06 or 13 rocks up… An 88 would be nice too. I could fit a sealed beam 46…but I wont need many of any of those, and if they reached above £180-£200 then it might reduced further as thats really my ceiling… its value to me lowers, and chances are if I sold it on (as I do quite often) i’d lose even more.

might be a consolidation year next year and off load the excesses ive bought in the last few…

However… onto the 59’s… hopefully G&W and AI liveries follow.

Edited by adb968008

On 24/10/2022 at 11:44, LaGrange said:

You wont, look up videos of the ESU Euro66 on youtube. Like something off the classic 80's Thomas series........

Coming back to the video Ed posted. Worth contrasting with a video of a start up of a real 66 (note the very very small amount of smoke!).