Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, njee20 said:

I understand the 59s really struggled with the Drax biomass trains, where evidently the 60s don’t, so there may be something in that. 

Biomass?

There were reports of 60s being preferred over 59s on coal trains from Liverpool docks.

There were a series of 59/0 v 60 tests on South Wales iron ore trains and the difference in capability was minor, with the 60 coming out on top. but only by a very small margin.

(Tries to find Roger Ford's article in Modern Railways)

Until fuel consumption was taken in to consideration.......

Just like some US cars, the 59 is a gas guzzler.

• RMweb Premium

Both, I suspect. I have read that in the early days GBRf tried 59003 on the biomass trains (including using it in publicity shots with a 66 pushing at the back), but the 60s performed better. but of course the exact same logic would hold on the coal traffic too. 

On 25/09/2022 at 21:27, WCML100 said:

are we sure this is a production model photographed? would be good to have that confirmed first before judgement on the final model is passed. Dapol have given several odd pre production offerings drip fed to us with unusual arrangements in the past.. (wrong colour on NP livery etc)

Well if they are on the seas and Dapol have them on display and are showing them off........

• RMweb Gold
On 19/09/2022 at 10:43, atom3624 said:

Same moving AB's as the Hatton's one, or might they stay on?

Does the full sized one have skewed steps or is that reality going too far?  ....

Al.

The front air dam steps are different to the 66’s.

I think they could have done better with the air dam tbh.

I think the Hattons 66 has several lessons learned over the 59, which given the 59 is a longer gestation and older than the 66 is understandable. 

NP does look too dark, but think the others look ok.

Would like to see an EWS 59/2 and a more modern Mendip Rail livery at some point.

Lets see what turns up

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The front air dam steps are different to the 66’s.

I think they could have done better with the air dam tbh.

I think the Hattons 66 has several lessons learned over the 59, which given the 59 is a longer gestation and older than the 66 is understandable. 

NP does look too dark, but think the others look ok.

Would like to see an EWS 59/2 and a more modern Mendip Rail livery at some point.

Lets see what turns up

Hoping for a second gen livery Yeoman, or an aggregate industries. Hopefully the first batch look good...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Can you provide a photo please? How many will you buy

The airdams on the model look similar to Hornbys style…

CE532469-C7CE-4FD8-A22B-E5D89AA5313F.jpeg.e409b2d620e6962a2b223fcfb97791a6.jpeg

that is a bufferbeam, with a separate air-dam, with a gap for the coupling and a separate wrap under piece to finish the airdam, with the obvious gap between the bufferbeam and air dam…

(I’m guessing that in the parts bag is another solid airdam, for those without coupling).

however the real thing is one piece of sheet steel from lights to the bottom…

C61B3C30-B540-41C5-88C2-03C2C5247667.jpeg.8841736edfe7ff4ad7774f2ba1fe1a27.jpeg

Hattons worked around this, by having the buffer beam and airdam as one separate piece which you can attach / detach to suit, with two configurations.. 1 with coupling, and 1 without, so there is no seam line at all.

04290063-B7E1-4738-93FE-267381C434E5.jpeg.222f94e5d9ccd3d46915f3896b4d398c.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

Dapol seem to be keeping very quiet on this (the new 00 class 59). It may well be that any images so far are just pre-production samples, and that final production run will address most if not all of the issues being highlighted, but they aren’t actually saying anything yet.

We will just have to wait and see I guess. Fingers crossed that they have a stunning and fully sorted model to reveal when it happens.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Dapol seem to be keeping very quiet on this (the new 00 class 59). It may well be that any images so far are just pre-production samples, and that final production run will address most if not all of the issues being highlighted, but they aren’t actually saying anything yet.

We will just have to wait and see I guess. Fingers crossed that they have a stunning and fully sorted model to reveal when it happens.

the picture 1 page back was suposedly a factory finished one.

one subtle point of note in the pictures of my EPs was the two NP 59204’s… as side of the lighter colour, notice that the lamp iron (or at least the hole for it), moved from centre right to centre left, as per the real pic of 59203.

if you zoom into the lamp iron, of the real image, you’ll note that “n” shape of the lamp iron bracket…

3E7DFF9C-E54D-4F0F-B500-77C102F12F2B.jpeg.adb4d21442e5c79bbdd6497c352b589d.jpeg

this was one of those inane detail levels Hattons went to replicate, which I feel is way under appreciated.. you wont get lamp irons like that on any other model !!.. sadly including the Dapol 59, and with how costs are managed in the future its probably something you wont see again. They went to detail like that on the handrail welding too…Seriously they did.

3AD41304-42E0-4CEF-BC54-A1FC921D4A65.jpeg.a3a77b0d06b51196e40fa69fd4d275e5.jpeg

The Dapol 59 images were taken at Ally Pally and the ones without wheels were supposedly final EPs… that was 6 months ago.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/09/2022 at 06:38, Class 158 productions said:

They had a sample of a national power one at the kernow 20th anniversary event. 

56046C94-6CA1-4569-A37C-4613A3813524.jpeg

5F2946A5-5423-49DD-B4D4-8A66C64EE5B3.jpeg

7DA091B0-19C9-43FC-8F35-3E5FFE361A6D.jpeg

Here's a handy pic I've just found on Flickr of what the roof of the number 1 end of a 59/2 should look like. Quoted the above post to give a side by side comparison. 

19940306_013: 59201 at York, NRM

Jo

• Like 3

unfortuntately looks like it's not going to be anywhere near the finesse of the Hatton's 66.  The Hatton's 66 oozes quality.  The front air dam on the Dapol 59 looks particularly poor with the gap between the bottom piece.  Even the Bachmann 66 which has the same separate piece doesn't have an obvious gap like that.  Hopefully, this is not final production photo and it can be fitted closer than that.   The side grills on the Dapol 59 look like they could be very good, though it's not possible to tell completely due to resolution of images.  I see Hatton's website is now saying Due November for the ARC livery DCC ready, but all the others still say September.  Perhaps they'll arrive by Christmas!

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, NewSiding said:

unfortuntately looks like it's not going to be anywhere near the finesse of the Hatton's 66.  The Hatton's 66 oozes quality.  The front air dam on the Dapol 59 looks particularly poor with the gap between the bottom piece.  Even the Bachmann 66 which has the same separate piece doesn't have an obvious gap like that.  Hopefully, this is not final production photo and it can be fitted closer than that.   The side grills on the Dapol 59 look like they could be very good, though it's not possible to tell completely due to resolution of images.  I see Hatton's website is now saying Due November for the ARC livery DCC ready, but all the others still say September.  Perhaps they'll arrive by Christmas!

Can you refrain from judging by looking at a hand assembled sample, wait until the production ones arrive

1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

Can you refrain from judging by looking at a hand assembled sample, wait until the production ones arrive

I was looking at the Kernow images. I thought that was a production sample?  If not, then that's good it will be even better when it arrives.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NewSiding said:

I was looking at the Kernow images. I thought that was a production sample?  If not, then that's good it will be even better when it arrives.

That's correct. Kernow stated it was a production model. Hopefully this turns out to be a misunderstanding and it is indeed pre-production.

It must be said that Dapol are not helping themselves or customers with what seems to be complete radio silence on this model. I personally have lost confidence due to this and cancelled my two pre-orders until I'm sure I'm looking at a production  model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Oh dear. The photos show just how poor the NRN pod looks. They haven't even modelled the rebate in the roofline into which it sits. Looks like I'll be taking a file to mine and placing an order with Shawplan for an etched pod (like I did for my Lima ones).

The silencer is going to need some work to lower it too (or just replace with a Lima one?).

Still, nothing that can't be corrected with a bit of the 'm' word.

Guy

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StuAllen said:

Took this today at GETS, 

94660AA5-DE5D-4A7A-B26A-3681ABD6593D.jpeg

I spoke with one of the Dapol team on Saturday regarding the 59's on show, and they confirmed they were in fact production models on display. 

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1