Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

This thread has been around the Circle line at least 3 times now, so  I'll admit I'm really pleased the 'Flying Scotsman' train :P is back and running (not stuffed).

Let's move on and lament how the Euston Arch did get stuffed. 

How many actual bits of the Euston Arch have been located dumped in canals and landfill? Could it be reconstructed- even with 1% of the original masonry?

What always infuriates :angry: me is that there is plenty of space for it facing onto the Euston Road in front of that banal repetitive concrete existing Euston frontage, despite what the LMR 'Euston Confederacy' claimed at the time it was decided to demolish.

Would you prefer to shell out for a reconstruction of an iconic railway architectural monument or for another 'missing' preserved locomotive?

mmm...

dh

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

(Cue hate mail)

It's only a kettle......................

Cheers,

Mick (who will probably model it in current condition to run alongside a fleet of oil-burners.......................)

• Like 2

From the Peterborough Evening Telegraph, illustrating my earlier point...

http://m.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/business/business-news/the-flying-scotsman-will-pass-through-peterborough-next-month-1-7162238

I'm sure the PET are well aware FS doesn't look like this, but it says 'Flying Scotsman"

Edited by rockershovel

Oh God, not liveries again. 

A very old friend got a bit hot under the collar around 1965. Apparently 4472's livery was not correct. Red nameplates and green cylinder covers.  I pointed out that 4472 had just had some work done at Darlington and green cylinder covers were supposedly a tradition there. "Yes!" said he. "But the nameplates....." At that point I gave up, especially as we were standing next to Alan Pegler and I was about to board the train. 

Fast forward to 2014 and another very old friend remarked that he didn't like "Tornado" because its nameplates weren't low (or high?) enough on the smoke deflectors. However I must say that he's made up for this by sending the Trust website some A1 shots from shed bashes.

No doubt there will be some more fun when the P2 is complete. By the way, if any one calls THAT a "kettle" I will scald them. If I'm still here that is! 

Edited by Edthefolkie
  • Like 1

An announcement from Ian Riley (quoted below) regarding Scotsman's mainline debut has been put up on the 'In The Works' forum:

"Testing work continues with the braking systems on the locomotive, including 'ironing-out' problems with the Tender braking.

As such, the paperwork will not be in-place for the locomotive to carry out Mainline Testing this week.

Once WE are happy, the testing will be re-scheduled.

It is hoped that 60103 will take the place of 46233 on The Cumbrian Mountain Express railtour of 6th Feb.

This Saturdays Railtour will be hauled by 44871 and 45407."

• RMweb Premium

That must be heartbreaking for Ian and his team but better that everything is right than risk a failure.

edit: I'm not sure the ET (Peterborough Today) have any clue what FS looks like now, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd used a photograph of Tornado to head their article.

Edited by Richard E

• RMweb Gold

That must be heartbreaking for Ian and his team but better that everything is right than risk a failure.

edit: I'm not sure the ET (Peterborough Today) have any clue what FS looks like now, I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd used a photograph of Tornado to head their article.

I can't really understand what could be 'heartbreaking' about it?  They are having some sort of problem, be it big or small, with the brakes on the tender and haven't told us (here) what the problem is.  It could be something very simple, could be something a bit more difficult but clearly something is not quite right so the loco isn't yet fit for mainline work.  That is the whole point of running-in and test runs - to help sort any problems with setting up and to enable adjustments to be made.  

They were working to a tight timescale and sometimes things don't go quite as expected - that's life with steam engines.

FWIW, my vote would be for FS to be apple green carrying 4472, because that's how many people envisage it, that's how Hornby have always modelled it and because it's just such a gorgeous, spectacular thing that way; the one and only "Flying Scotsman" . People wouldn't care if it had a single or double chimney, and I quite like the German deflectors; if they are genuinely useful, leave 'em on..

I recall it coming to Nene Valley a few years ago and the local paper, and Anglia TV both started by saying "you might be surprised to see it in this livery but.. "

Hornby have done Flying Scotsman in BR green and wartime black as well as apple green

I can't really understand what could be 'heartbreaking' about it?  They are having some sort of problem, be it big or small, with the brakes on the tender and haven't told us (here) what the problem is.  It could be something very simple, could be something a bit more difficult but clearly something is not quite right so the loco isn't yet fit for mainline work.  That is the whole point of running-in and test runs - to help sort any problems with setting up and to enable adjustments to be made.  

They were working to a tight timescale and sometimes things don't go quite as expected - that's life with steam engines.

As Mike says, it's all part of overhauling equipment.

There is also the necessary documentation.  Without this documentation and subsequent certification the locomotive cannot run on Network Rail infrastructure.  A small physical change that can take 5 minutes can take days to get reflected in the relevant documents.  

Whilst they are only pieces of paper, they are part of the bricks and mortar of keeping the railways safe.

My wife and I are booked on a trip on Saturday that now has two Black Fives, am I disappointed, yes a little, but I fully understand the way things are.  Hopefully there will be another day.

I'm sure the Peterborough ET are as able as anyone else, to visit the usual press release sources and find out. The point I was making was that they have consistently followed an editorial line that the FS is generally perceived as being in apple green livery carrying 4472, whatever it may look like at present

• RMweb Premium

From the Railway Touring Co website

UPDATE WINTER CUMBRIAN MOUNTAIN 23RD JANUARY

19-Jan-2016

We have been advised this morning that despite reassurances and the supreme effort made by Ian Riley and his team The Flying Scotsman will not be ready to haul our train. This is due to additional work being required on the brakes. This was identified during test runs on the East Lancashire Railway. This has resulted in insufficient time to complete the necessary paperwork required for the engine to return to the main line.

As originally advertised and due to the unavailability of The Flying Scotsman we will now be double headed throughout by two Black 5’s 44871 and 45407.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment the change of locomotive may cause you and be assured that the whole team at The Railway Touring Company share your disappointment.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

If I was traveling on the CME I don't think I would be that dispointed with a pair of Black 5s, particularly over the S&C. They should give better sound effects and at least they they are not the wrong colour of green.

At least I can now have a lie-in on Saturday.

• Like 2

By the way I think the black livery looks great on FS. It's a personal thing but I don't really like the apple green.

It might come as a surprise to some people that some of us dont have much taste for LNER apple green livery. To me it was more suited to fairground engines and lacked the dignity of LMS lake and GWR green.

• Like 1

Guest spet0114

It might come as a surprise to some people that some of us dont have much taste for LNER apple green livery. To me it was more suited to fairground engines and lacked the dignity of LMS lake and GWR green.

In a similar fashion, it might be surprising to a different set of people that there is an entire generation (or maybe two?) who have grown up with an apple green Scotsman and who would much prefer it to BR liveries that they don't remember and have no affection for.

• RMweb Premium

A double header sounds fun. By the way I think the black livery looks great on FS. It's a personal thing but I don't really like the apple green.

Just can't make it's mind up what number it is. Recent pics showing it simultaneously carrying 502/103/60103. To me, it'll always be 98872. :declare:

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

A double header sounds fun. By the way I think the black livery looks great on FS. It's a personal thing but I don't really like the apple green.

I've spent some time at the 'new' Crewe works working on an LSL locomotive. Within those walls resides 60532 Blue Peter in a BR lettered lightish (apple?) green livery.

In my opinion it is one of the worst liveries I've ever seen on a steam engine, worse somehow because of the impressive lines of 60532. It seems, to my eye, to make it appear toylike.

As I say, that's just my opinion, and if that represents one of the loco's historical owner's liveries then fair enough.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apple green is what I think of when I think of FS (and quite a bit of the LNER) so it has a bit of a "it's what I expect so looks a little odd in a different colour" to it, but I think that I agree with that. I usually prefer darker shades.

Just can't make it's mind up what number it is. Recent pics showing it simultaneously carrying 502/103/60103. To me, it'll always be 98872. :declare:

Cheers,

Mick

5 years ago or so (was it that long?) when it was "nearing" completion", the NRM stated that FS would be "run in " in psuedo wartime black livery, aka black undercoat. To this end it would carry a different - but apparently historically correct for the colour - number on each cabside. Hence 502 and 103.

Then the infamous "further work is needed" saga..... so the black undercoat and numbers stayed. The work has been finished, a repaint of the undercoat has not been necessary so the numbers remain. But the smokebox door has had the 60103 plate added ready for when the top coat of green is added (Feb/March?). Obviously the cab will be painted, so 60103 will be added there.  As for the 98872, isn't this carried inside the cab? The TOPS identity, which all mainline steam now have allocated, not sure if they are all carried.

Simples....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

The young chap who never knew the BR steam era and so Flying Scotsman in apple green is the only nostalgic livery to him was something I hadn't considered. So there must come a day when young folk only remember a certain 'Castle' and 'Hall' in Holywood maroon! In the same way we older guys don't really get turned on by gleaming preserved locos when all we remember was the grimy steam-era of the 1940's and 50's. Maybe hard to imagine now, but I only ever saw one gleaming steam loco fresh out of Works (Horwich) in 25 years and it happened to be an Ivatt 'Mucky duck'...!!!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5