Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the turnout, in 1963 Birmingham Snow Hill sold several thousand platform and train tickets when FS worked the Ffestiniog AGM Special. 12 months later Alan Peglar ran a special 3-coach train to Cardiff for some tourism jolly he was attending. I was one of a handful of hardy youths who braved a blizzard at King's Norton to see the return working come through. By the autumn of 1965 the crowd at Snow Hill for it's next appearance was not much more than the usual Saturday morning spotters.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. With it being the original would the tone have been affected when the boiler pressure was increased from 180psi? Or do whistles wear out

Perhaps the pea has perished and they need a new one.

Hat coat gone.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

If my memory serves me correctly the FS whistle has always sounded weak and watery in 'preservation' . I should think the NR 'management' will want a better one. They did with that new A1 that appears every so often, hence its' Chime up front as well as its' missing pea one up the cab end. 

However, it may be as Mike said, it is an A3 whistle and for all I know they may have all been like that pre 1963?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

It had a perfectly good South African 3 chime. :)

Cheers

David

In Australia? Sorry I didn't go there.

P

Didn't sound that weak on Peter Handford's Transacord recordings!

The Nim.

A3s or Scotsman? I don't have that particular recording.

Phil

Thanks for that. With it being the original would the tone have been affected when the boiler pressure was increased from 180psi? Or do whistles wear out

The pressure definitely makes a difference. The A4 whistle carried by RH&DR No 8 sounds markedly different on 180psi to similar whistles on Bittern and Union of South Africa operating at 250psi. To my ear it's lower pitched and more mournful - just right for a foggy morning amidst the bleakness of Romney Marsh (and great fun to operate when it's located just three feet in front of your ears!).

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well maybe, and then not really.  The idea of the 'body bags' in that spoof set strikes me as rather uninformed to say the least - if a person is hit by a train travelling reasonably fast, let alone one travelling at high speed, you'd be a pretty 'lucky' (depending one one's viewpoint) person doing the clearing up if you actually manage to find all the bits within the better part of a mile of where the collision took place.  Black plastic sacks are probably a lot more useful that a body bag because use of the latter implies that you actually have 'a body' to put into into it.

Having on a number of occasions had to go and help 'pick up the pieces' (yes, literally) I don't wish that fate on anyone - I just want to see these halfwitted dumbos fined beyond their limit to pay and incarcerated for a few months, or longer, as a consequence to give them time to reflect on their moronic level of stupidity.

I also believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that such incidents are also initially treated as a "crime scene" and evidence gathering takes precedence over everything, thus locking the whole railway down....

If my memory serves me correctly the FS whistle has always sounded weak and watery in 'preservation'.

I re-watched "4472m - Flying Scotsman" last night (the BBC film of the 1968 non-stop KGX to EDB run - available on iPlayer).  The whistle definitely sounded a bit feeble at times in that.

Edit to add: The film also includes some rather fine footage which can only have been shot from a helicopter (eg around about the 16 minute mark - example screenshot here).

Just sayin', like...

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing the things I'm learning from this thread ... :sarcastic:

About pilots not using maps, I think it's pretty obvious - after all Ryanair pilots never seem to manage to land at an airport that's anywhere near the city you're supposed to be going to!

• RMweb Premium

About pilots not using maps, I think it's pretty obvious - after all Ryanair pilots never seem to manage to land at an airport that's anywhere near the city you're supposed to be going to!

I very much suspect there's a regulation somewhere that states that all pilots, irrespective of a/c type or Navaids fitted, must at least carry hard copies of maps whilst in flight.  Navaids have been known to go u/s during flight...

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I also believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that such incidents are also initially treated as a "crime scene" and evidence gathering takes precedence over everything, thus locking the whole railway down....

That's exactly right. I had dealings with one where someone had been hit by an HST. There were rumours that it was to do with drug debts and he may well have been 'assisted' to where he ended up. However nothing could be proved. You cannot always assume that there are no suspicious circumstances after a fatality. It is possible though the speed the process up with cooperation from all parties.

I would echo Mike's comments though. However much we deplore the antics of the mindless idiots that trespassed on the ECML I would not want to wish the aftermath of a fatality on any of the people involved, particularly the driver.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the circumstances I believe - if a body is found but no fatality has been reported and there is no witness (e.g. the incident happened in the dark and the driver was unaware that he'd hit anything) they do tend to do that but if there is a witness who can say that it was an accident or deliberate suicide (e.g. the driver of the train involved saw what happened), they tend to treat it as an accident and the delay is usually less.

The best photograph I have seen of the return to steam of the Flying |Scotsman is this one.  I'd love to know how the guy took it. It must have been worked out many days before.

If JMW Turner's 'Rain, Steam and Speed' marks the beginning of the Romance; this is an Elegy for the steam age - and deep mined (Yorkshire) coal. Maybe even Britain's industrial capability ?

dh

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Heavier than air machines apart, here it is earlier

Love that reflection in the Smokebox Door. probably one of the sharpest and atmospheric telephoto shots I've seen recently. I suspect the NRM might like that one.

On a serious note (sorry) about the whistle, it is supposed to be a warning device and IMO the present one needs adjustment as it always sounds half full of water.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

That's Roland Kennington's whistle and he had it back when the engine was dismantled for overhaul

How about I offer to help organise a 'Clean as a Whistle' (for Scotsman) scheme with the NRM? I've always wanted to do something useful at the NRM.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1