Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

LOL - But I do believe that footage of this event would, on balance, show that most folk watching did not think that "actually stood on the track" was the right place to view it from. ;)

Probably the case - the worrying bit is that not just one but 'quite a few' actually were brainless enough to stand on or very close to the track and dozens - if not hundreds - more were almost as daft as they chose to stand inside the fence and trespass on NR property potentially risking their own lives and those of others as well as giving a number of footplate crew the fright of their lives.  These people deserve to be dealt with in the severest possible way and with maximum publicity of what sentences they receive once convicted; and they also need to realise that such sentences would be comparatively light when set against the one they were lucky enough to escape, a death sentence.

It's many years since I caught someone in the four foot trying to photo a steam special and his failure to move resulted in me shoving him down a 20 foot embankment into a tangle of blackberry bushes with him threatening to sue me - blah, blah. His second stroke of good luck was failing to try that, his first was narrowly avoiding being spread across the front end of a hard accelerating D10XX pulling away from a station stop just round the corner.  I have never had any time for people who behave in this sort of mindless manner although I don't wish them everything they volunteer for - because some other poor s*d would then have to go and scrape up the resultant mess.

• Like 4

With all this talk of 3 tonne flying desk fans and trespass on the HST's home turf, has there been anything in the news about that old A3 that entered overhaul 10 years ago?

Apparently it is due to make its "maiden" journey any time soon.

On a serious point (on this thread? 'ing hell...) how much of that particular A3 is 'original'- and by original I don't mean the specific boiler, wheel sets and so on that it rolled out of Doncaster with. But how much of it is genuine (L)NER and how much of it is modern replacements (probably made in Germany, Tawain, Korea and anywhere but Britain)?

Is this a case of 'trigger's broom'?

• RMweb Premium

The NRM chap interviewed on our local (Yorkshire) news last evening suggested that Trigger's broom was not far from the truth. But so what if it isn't all original bits? If I was that age I'd be pleased if I had just some of my original bits left working. TBH I'm quite pleased that most of my bits are still working and mostly original and I'm a whippersnapper compared to 103. 

Q

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk of 3 tonne flying desk fans and trespass on the HST's home turf, has there been anything in the news about that old A3 that entered overhaul 10 years ago?

On a serious point (on this thread? 'ing hell...) how much of that particular A3 is 'original'- and by original I don't mean the specific boiler, wheel sets and so on that it rolled out of Doncaster with. But how much of it is genuine (L)NER and how much of it is modern replacements (probably made in Germany, Tawain, Korea and anywhere but Britain)?

...and does it matter to most people?

Boris, I somehow doubt that that very last bullet point is needed that often :P

Simon

[smug mode] Luckily I am the exception to that rule. I am not sure I dare take her to a model railway exhibition as they might not be able to find enough ambulances for all the heart failures.... [/smug mode]

Come on! Don't exaggerate....It is only 93 years old- barely run in.

The NRM chap interviewed on our local (Yorkshire) news last evening suggested that Trigger's broom was not far from the truth. But so what if it isn't all original bits? If I was that age I'd be pleased if I had just some of my original bits left working. TBH I'm quite pleased that most of my bits are still working and mostly original and I'm a whippersnapper compared to 103. 

Q

Of course not, Phil, and I wasn't implying otherwise. I was just genuinely interested to know. People often talk about "original" but even on withdrawal much would not be original as boilers would have been swapped around, as would axles etc. I should have been clearer about LNER replacements and NRM replacements as I am genuinely interested.

I suppose like Tornado which had to have a German boiler fitted, FS's boiler would not have been overhauled here. Just curious.

...and does it matter to most people?

• RMweb Gold

If you were to go back to (say) the early 1930s and look closely at Flying Scotsman you would find that a lot of components were not original even then.  

Boilers were routinely changed at overhaul, usually a new (or more likely refurbished) boiler was taken from stock and used.  If there was frame damage a spare frame would be used.   Wheels sets could be exchanged too. 

Other parts would have been removed, cleaned and refurbished, any part needing more work would be replaced and the old one refurbished later.

The whole point was that a loco should be out of service for as short a time as possible as during any time in the works a valuable asset was not earning money.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just as an aside, a colleague on the DA desk reckons the bill for yesterdays trespassing delays was about 60k!

Now if they were to identify and successfully prosecute as many as possible, concentrating on those "in the four foot" and then divide the 60k bill between those offenders....

That would be an excellent deterrent for the future.

I thought the same thing a couple of days ago when the Heathrow trespassers were found guilty, resulting in (I think) 20-something flights being cancelled.  If those airlines were to sue those found guilty for the entire cost.....

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you were to go back to (say) the early 1930s and look closely at Flying Scotsman you would find that a lot of components were not original even then.  

Boilers were routinely changed at overhaul, usually a new (or more likely refurbished) boiler was taken from stock and used.  If there was frame damage a spare frame would be used.   Wheels sets could be exchanged too. 

Other parts would have been removed, cleaned and refurbished, any part needing more work would be replaced and the old one refurbished later.

The whole point was that a loco should be out of service for as short a time as possible as during any time in the works a valuable asset was not earning money.

David

According to the brdatabase.info website it carried about 14 boilers during its service life, and was paired with about 10 different tenders.

It was also rebuilt from A1 to A3 in late LNER days then converted from R/H to L/H drive by BR. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Come on! Don't exaggerate....It is only 93 years old- barely run in.

Of course not, Phil, and I wasn't implying otherwise. I was just genuinely interested to know. People often talk about "original" but even on withdrawal much would not be original as boilers would have been swapped around, as would axles etc. I should have been clearer about LNER replacements and NRM replacements as I am genuinely interested.

I suppose like Tornado which had to have a German boiler fitted, FS's boiler would not have been overhauled here. Just curious.

103 refers to her number not her age..................................................... :nono:

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent. Someone on vine's programme saying his grandad used to drive Scotsman. Who'd have thought it!

I have told this story before but you have set me up nicely to tell it again. Many years ago a family was watching one of my layouts at an exhibition in Doncaster and one young girl, around 10 years old, proudly came out with the old "My Grandad drove the Mallard". I said that I had heard of the names of some people who had driven Mallard and asked her what Grandad's name was. The answer was "Joe Duddington". So I never mock that statement now, just in case......

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 12

That's the point I was making, Dave.

If we accept that such items swapped around under LNER or even under BR steam qualifies as 'original', what percentage of it is original- ie compared to the restoration work undertaken at NRM.

When you take into account how cells are replaced/regenerated, none of us are "original". Does that fact make you any less yourself?

• Like 5

That's the point I was making, Dave.

If we accept that such items swapped around under LNER or even under BR steam qualifies as 'original', what percentage of it is original- ie compared to the restoration work undertaken at NRM.

Not wishing to be but why does it matter to you? The alternative is an original 4472 stuffed and mounted in the NRM, I know my preference.

Exactly. Most people don't realise the amount of planning that is involved in exercises of this nature.

Oh, and pilots haven't used maps for many years.

Perhaps not while they're in the air, but I'm pretty sure at least some pilots still use them for planning purposes. Only a couple of weeks ago a bunch of guys from RAF Conningsby asked me for an OS 1:50000 map of the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway....

• Like 1

Q

That might have been one of my interviews from yesterday - and here's my blog on the subject: http://blog.nrm.org.uk/how-much-flying-scotsman-original/

• RMweb Premium

Just as an aside, a colleague on the DA desk reckons the bill for yesterdays trespassing delays was about 60k!

well over 50 trains affected and more than 40 hours worth of delay....