Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

• RMweb Premium

Lest we forget 

post-2326-0-70407400-1456488064_thumb.jpg

Kettle to some, beautiful machine to many, not known by huge numbers of others. I don't care; I rather like it and think the NRM have done a splendid job. Evening Star next please, preferably before I pop my boiler tubes.

Q

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

But Evening Star won't be allowed out to play on the Big railway... I say something like Gladstone should be next. A small engine for real use on Preserved lines....

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But Evening Star won't be allowed out to play on the Big railway... I say something like Gladstone should be next. A small engine for real use on Preserved lines....

Andy G

Oh yes of course; I'd forgotten those track difficulties. I shall have to go to the GCR at Loughborough and pretend.

We could start a civilised what to bring back next thread. I've mainly forgotten what's lurking at York and Shildon.

As you suggest, something 'unique' would be good.

P

The stuff about the helo is very interesting - particularly the informed comments.

Regrettably in my last big railway job events conspired to ensure that I didn't make exactly the same sort of filming trip along the ECML in a helicopter.  A company did several jobs for us over the years with some similarly low level flying alongside railway routes although one difference was that we provided a 'route conductor' to help identify the best filming locations and advise on sections to miss in order to pre-position in good time to the next good area.  The jobs had been shared around the team in the past so I gave away the WCML on condition I would get the ECML - and that one was subsequently cancelled.

But those of the team who did go found it absolutely fascinating in the hands of some very capable pilots with - amongst other skills - high standards of map reading for hazards to low level flying.  So in the hands of professionals I don't doubt these sort of filming jobs are done as safely as possible.

Exactly. Most people don't realise the amount of planning that is involved in exercises of this nature.

Oh, and pilots haven't used maps for many years.

But Evening Star won't be allowed out to play on the Big railway...

...and probably never will now.

...I say something like Gladstone should be next. A small engine for real use on Preserved lines....

Gladstone hasn't worked since at least 1927, so I'd be interested to see if the boiler is still fit for steaming. Boiler condition for the Stirling Single, SECR "D", GER T26 and S56, J17, Compound, etc. would also be interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to drag the trespassing thing back when the conversation seems to have moved on, but perhaps there's a small consolation as to how the general public regard them from the conversation in the pub last night from people who (as far as I know) aren't particularly interested in the railway, and that was the opinion that they were a bunch of (many asterisks) idiots. A small sample doesn't tell you much of course but it's always reassuring to hear that not everyone is daft.

• Like 1

Whilst Derek has quoted specific useful information and quoted examples of permissions (which I fully accept) I would say they're based on a specific need. I would assume the pilot had good visibility of the half mile or so ahead of him to do this with confidence there were no apparent hazards I still think there was no real need to do it, just because it can be done.

Another angle on the same event.

https://youtu.be/WPeyMuSg5ek?t=16s

Anneka rice will never find the clue going that fast.

Nice steamie thing !

Reorte - I showed my wife the video of the crowd in the 4', and got the same reaction...

I'm not sure how wrong your average "normal" would regard standing well back from the tracks on the bank, but on the wrong side of the fence, as has been shown in other pics (though there are several who look to be in the "experienced enough to know better" category) - but I do hope that most folk would twig that actually standing on the track is pretty stupid...

• Like 2

Reorte - I showed my wife the video of the crowd in the 4', and got the same reaction...

I'm not sure how wrong your average "normal" would regard standing well back from the tracks on the bank, but on the wrong side of the fence, as has been shown in other pics (though there are several who look to be in the "experienced enough to know better" category) - but I do hope that most folk would twig that actually standing on the track is pretty stupid...

I assume you do not have a job which entails dealing with the general public on a daily basis!