Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

I do hope this person is outed and sorted. However there were a lot of others there too.

Phil

That looks like his real name... Prob not too hard to find him. When MPs have had issues with people threatening them on twitter from anonymous accounts, those people have been traced pretty quickly. I don't see why couldn't be done here

David

I do hope this person is outed and sorted. However there were a lot of others there too.

Phil

I make it at least 13 who would likely be dead had a train come down the slow at that time, probably more. Honestly don't know what you do with folk that unaware of the risks.

• RMweb Gold

Complete with two greens on the southbound slow and fast lines...........

Not defending them but there are large stretches of the ECML where green is the normal indication, not necessarily the sign of a train approaching - but the f...wits wouldn't know that.

No, that would not have helped.

It would have been a week late, and be totally un-interested in doing anything when it arrived except telling you that train delays have been reducing year on year despite what you might read in the tabloids and that in fact being a police branded Brush 4 isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

It must be a sign of getting old when all the locomotives seem to be getting younger. (with apologies to anyone under the age of 40 who doesn't understand that comment)

This should have run in front of Scotsman.

attachicon.gifIMG_6130.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was astonished when I saw that earlier on. My understanding is that it can be below 500' where an area is not populated but cannot be within 500' of a person, vehicle or structure. I would say that measurement was disregarded by the pilot.

attachicon.gifFScot_BBC.jpg

I'd estimate the groundspeed around 50kts about 25' off the deck within 200' of OLE and a capacity train; not much of a safety margin if there was a mechanical issue.

Not only that, how much of a distraction is that to not only drivers but people working on the line?

They want prosecuting aswell

She at least appears to be in fine fettle from the various videos and newsclips and the turnout is testament to the popularity of steam and in particular this machine, trespass incidents aside.

It could of course all have been very different what with her troubled history of ownership and mother nature nearly consigning her to the bottom of the Atlantic.

• Like 2

The helicopter operator is Arena Aviation, and their Air Operator's Certificate allows low flying considerably closer than 500 feet for filming purposes. They even have an exemption for restricted airspace over central London.

Edited by Wheatley

• RMweb Gold

The helicopter operator is Arena Aviation, and their Air Operator's Certificate allows low flying considerably closer than 500 feet for filming purposes. They even have an exemption for restricted airspace over central London.

Spoilsport, letting fact get in the way of muchos wibbles...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spoilsport, letting fact get in the way of muchos wibbles...

You'll be saying next that loads of people had an exemption for standing on a railway track...........................

I was surprised how few people were at Peterborough Town Bridge! Maybe 100, max. Considering this is an open space, most of it a car park little used during the week, with the tracks ten or twelve metres above, I expected a big crowd; and it wouldn't have mattered if several times that number had been present. There were big crowds at the station apparently.

Just seen Michael Portillo on camera ... WONDERFUL jacket, how DOES he do it?

• Like 1

The simple solution is don't fly drones near moving trains.

I think this is a case of deciding you don't like something and then looking for an excuse why it should not have happened.

...and what about if someone had been flying a drone near the train when the helo was that close? In any case the noisy things spoilt it for me today.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

The chopper pilot, however skilled, was being a little silly.  Not sure what the CAA would make of that one....

Brian

(who's been lucky enough to spend a lot of time working on & flying in helis)

• RMweb Gold

I was amused  by BBC News coverage at 22.00.  Nicely done in the main item part read by Huw Edwards when we hear about a locomotive, then the excellent Mr Portillo talked about an engine (top marks for that chap) and finally leading p*llock Transport (!!!!) reporter Richard Westcott called it 'a train'.   Only thing good you can say about Westcott is that he didn't mention any train stations.

But good news item from the BBC.

As for those halfwits and idiots trespassing I hope that where evidence exists - and some of it is very good visual evidence - BTP set out to nab as many as possible and the courts throw the book at them, must be at least a couple of Byelaw offences for most of them plus one statutory offence for quite a lot of them, include the one who has been daft enough to post the damning evidence against himself on the internet.

• Like 1

And there were some Choc and cream carriages in the rake...

attachicon.gifDSC_6262.JPG

Nice Western Region formation! (Wrong locomotive for that though!)

Lovely to see the pile of bits in good running order. Money well spent?

Anyone?

OK I'm being naughty. It's fabulous to see - and nice to see without modern equipment in tow.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the footage of the trespassers I hope the BTP throw the book at this morons! Standing in the 4ft with your back to oncoming trains, and how did those who stood on the track hope to get out of the way? When the quickest escape route is blocked by other morons in the cess. And i'm sure they all considered the precautions required for the OHLE. You can even see the driver of the Scotsman waving them off the track, but they look like the kind of idiots who think he's waving hello.

Just seen the footage of the trespassers I hope the BTP throw the book at this morons! Standing in the 4ft with your back to oncoming trains, and how did those who stood on the track hope to get out of the way? When the quickest escape route is blocked by other morons in the cess. And i'm sure they all considered the precautions required for the OHLE. You can even see the driver of the Scotsman waving them off the track, but they look like the kind of idiots who think he's waving hello.

Best not get upset about these things beyond our control. Those mentioned will not have thought about any of the dangers concerned simple as that.

Plus I'd wager it was either the fireman (having a breather) or the owners rep who was waving away from the cab.

You can even see the driver of the Scotsman waving them off the track, but they look like the kind of idiots who think he's waving hello.

I'd wager it was either the fireman (having a breather) or the owners rep who was waving away from the cab.

I think it's was more of a no finger gesture/ statement than a wave. Or he was suggesting they liked to polish things.

I'm just hoping that by June when it's meant to run through my station that most of the hype has died down a bit, and we don't get anywhere near the level of aggravation that the ECML staff will have, had to endure today. But there goes that flying pig and what's that unicorn chasing?!?

Alistair