Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Best headline ever?

DavidB-AU

• RMweb Gold
I am grateful for being advised of a new verb in the English language - to 'glass' someone. The whole item is unclear, badly worded and the surname of the victim changes. Journalism continues its slide to the bottom.

Two from the sun newspaper.

1. Reporting George Michael being arrested in a public toilet

"Zip me up before you go go"

2 the Scottish sun reporting On 8 February 2000, second-tier Scottish club Inverness Caledonian Thistle upset hosts Celtic in the Third Round of the Scottish Cup by the score of 1-3,

"Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious."

• RMweb Gold

I am grateful for being advised of a new verb in the English language - to 'glass' someone. The whole item is unclear, badly worded and the surname of the victim changes. Journalism continues its slide to the bottom.

I regret to say Ian that I've heard that expression used frequently since the 1960s.

• RMweb Premium

I regret to say Ian that I've heard that expression used frequently since the 1960s.

Yes unfortunately so did I in my career.  However there was no similar verb for being hit over the head with a bar stool, which was equally common though the stools didn't break like in the films.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Not a headline but a gem of sports commentary yesterday. Commenting on Alastair Cook beating the record for the longest innings in test history by an English batsman, Sky sports presenter says "to put that into context he spent longer on one innings than the English Rugby and Football teams spent on the field in the last two world cups added together"

• RMweb Gold

However it seems to have been misused in this article.  The original usage seems to involve a pint glass of the 'sleeve' or 'straight' variety rammed very hard into the face of thh victim and involving a lot more damage than 5 stitches could put right - been around for years as a term so you must be living a very quiet life over there Ian ;)

However it seems to have been misused in this article.  The original usage seems to involve a pint glass of the 'sleeve' or 'straight' variety rammed very hard into the face of thh victim and involving a lot more damage than 5 stitches could put right - been around for years as a term so you must be living a very quiet life over there Ian ;)

"Can your mother sew...???"

She'd need to be one Hell of a seamstress to repair the damage caused by a straight glass used in the fashion Mike describes (above). 5 stitches? More like 50, and then some.

• RMweb Premium

Best I've seen in many a long year (and do you think I can find a scan of the front page to show?) was this from I think London's Evening Standard.

Passengers hit by cancelled trains

Found this on my travels in Ilfracombe last year

i-TkC75Ms-L.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd have to go a long way to beat the headline from the Sun in February 2000 when Inverness Caledonian Thistle beat Celtic 3-1 in the Scottish Cup;   think Mary Poppins.

"Super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"

Archived