Not for Peter, Pete's Workbench

N15class

And to you!

When does Pedro get his first train set?

Well, it just happens that a E 1or2 kit can't remember which one is Thomas, will be on its way here once the Dukedog is sold. Thought I would start him on 0 and miss out the smaller gauges.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, it just happens that a E 1or2 kit can't remember which one is Thomas, will be on its way here once the Dukedog is sold. Thought I would start him on 0 and miss out the smaller gauges.

I like that, clearly a boy destined for great things. You do realize that this means he will end up in G scale or larger when he feels the need to move up scale?  :jester:

• Like 2

I like that, clearly a boy destined for great things. You do realize that this means he will end up in G scale or larger when he feels the need to move up scale?  :jester:

That I think will be fun. I keep thinking I would like something in 7 inch gauge. The other half is not impressed, but she might be more forgiving if Pedro was to ask!! Food for thought. Now when do we slip in the roof conversion??

That I think will be fun. I keep thinking I would like something in 7 inch gauge. The other half is not impressed, but she might be more forgiving if Pedro was to ask!! Food for thought. Now when do we slip in the roof conversion??

Go for broke: new outbuildings and a garden loop in 7 inch. Show her pictures of the Spinney Railway: she'll come round!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally got enough time in the workshop​ to post something​. I am working on both the Dukedog, and the S15.

The S15 frames are almost complete.a few bits that need super glue to lock in place and the brake gear needs to be refitted.

I have a problem with the Dukedog. It runs faster in reverse than forward. It's got me foxed. It has a Slaters gearbox with a maxon motor. Any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to remove it if possible. 1 the wheels are push fit. 2 I don't have anything to hand that would sit inside the firebox.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 2

Hi Pete, You've probably checked all these but...Re the motor gearbox, check the endfloat of the motor as sometimes the armature gets "dragged" to one end by the action of the worm and can bind on the end bearing or . Another thing to check, is the gearbox moving much in the chassis? Sometimes they can move and hit something inside the body which pushes the whole motor/gearbox slightly askew. Is there any compensation in the chassis? Sometimes that can move in such a way to cause more drag one way than another against things like pickups or bushes.

Cheers

JF

I can't check the end float without taking the gearbox out as its a sealed unit, and the motor is not double shafts so no waggling the gear train back and forth. On fold up boxes I always put in a thrust washer.

• 3 weeks later...

Update one. I have managed to sort the running of the dukedog. There were two parts to the problem. First part was sat in front of the bench. At some time during the build I decided that I did not like the compensation beams running on an eight BA screw do I enlarged them to fit a tube that fits over the screw. I did not do the frames and assembled it without them. Lots of slack. A repair was done. Whilst the wheels and motor were out I washed out the gearbox. Now a completely different loco.

Update two.

Whilst pondering the dukedog I have been trying to finish the S15. I finished off the painting​ and given it a coat of satin.

post-13601-0-67375500-1491703070_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-72908000-1491703117_thumb.jpg

I have got the frames and valve gear completely finished. The bogie side control was sorted.

post-13601-0-57299700-1491703150_thumb.jpg

I then realised I had no loco tender coupling. This took a little thought as i had put a vacuum cylinder over where the tender fixing. I am quite pleased with the result. I need to tidy up the paint on the rear of the frames now.

post-13601-0-02112400-1491703171_thumb.jpg

These little bits have been done over a few weeks. I grab whatever​ time I can, trouble is that I spend half a hour figuring out where i got to then my time is about done.

The wheels for my M7 are somewhere in Brazil along with castings from Laurie. God knows when I will get them...

• Like 10

Hi Peter. The S15 looks a superb piece of model making. Looking forward to seeing the Dukedog finished.  I hope to find time to build my Bulldog to go with my Dukedog this summer.

Thanks Ken

It has been a challenge. Not sure if I would start in the same place again if ever I get around to making an Urie S15 for myself. The kit would probably make the Maunsell one without too much troubles. But there are no bits that fit this version except the hanging plate for the footplate. Cab sides, roof, tapered part of the boiler (both versions), footplate, and cylinders all needed replacing or extra work to make it all join together. The tender was also a bit poorly thought out. The sides and back weren't long enough to make the radii at the ends.

Apart from that it was quite straight forward.

Edited by N15class

Apart from that it was quite straight forward.

Reminded me of 'Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?'

Must look into the possibility of producing a Urie S15. I don't know much about SR locos so need to find some useful references to see what is involved: this build will be one of those references!

• Like 2

Reminded me of 'Apart from that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?'

Must look into the possibility of producing a Urie S15. I don't know much about SR locos so need to find some useful references to see what is involved: this build will be one of those references!

Like a lot of ex LSWR locos it's the same as the SR one except for the different boiler, boiler height, footplate, cab, cylinders and and and.......

It has the same number of wheels.

As a professional Engineer, I have heard the "it's exactly the same as this one, except..." many times.  That "except" contains a huge sum of money, and a substantial delay.

and the other rule - every scheme always works when sketched on a fag packet.  Then again, fag packets are getting scarce, and ruddy expensive nowadays!

best

Simon

• Like 1

When I was involved in the shopfitting game. One of our customers would not even bother with fag packet drawing. He'd phone the office and ask for me to go around price the job and then if happy we would turn up a work from the discussion.

Well having finally sorted out the running. I got some of my mojo back. Just a couple of tiny bits to sort out. One being the fallplate as the cutout for the brake standard is in the wrong place. I also have a intermittent short on one tender brake shoe. Guess who's multimeter is playing up too.

post-13601-0-83853800-1492014276_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-25562200-1492014297_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-22803500-1492014338_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-96808200-1492014320_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-43396800-1492014379_thumb.jpg

I have enjoyed this build or should I say finishing and rebuilding of this kit. Be nice to do a clean one.

The compensation seems to work a treat. Which is pleasing as i will use the same method for my 4-4-0 when I build it.

Will hopefully have the dukedog all boxed away after Easter. The S15 is all but there now too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Update two.

Whilst pondering the dukedog I have been trying to finish the S15. I finished off the painting​ and given it a coat of satin.

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-0-08 (4).jpg

I have got the frames and valve gear completely finished. The bogie side control was sorted.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

I then realised I had no loco tender coupling. This took a little thought as i had put a vacuum cylinder over where the tender fixing. I am quite pleased with the result. I need to tidy up the paint on the rear of the frames now.

attachicon.gifb.jpg

These little bits have been done over a few weeks. I grab whatever​ time I can, trouble is that I spend half a hour figuring out where i got to then my time is about done.

The wheels for my M7 are somewhere in Brazil along with castings from Laurie. God knows when I will get them...

Superb work, hopefully Hornby will get round to this version of the S15 someday ;) 

Well having finally sorted out the running. I got some of my mojo back. Just a couple of tiny bits to sort out. One being the fallplate as the cutout for the brake standard is in the wrong place. I also have a intermittent short on one tender brake shoe. Guess who's multimeter is playing up too.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

I have enjoyed this build or should I say finishing and rebuilding of this kit. Be nice to do a clean one.

The compensation seems to work a treat. Which is pleasing as i will use the same method for my 4-4-0 when I build it.

Will hopefully have the dukedog all boxed away after Easter. The S15 is all but there now too.

When your modelling Mojo, disappears (it's happened to me) it's always going to be a challenge to get it back, superb work