Not for Peter, Pete's Workbench

N15class

I

Ha! My "little boy" will be 19 in two months. I'm still looking after him, though he wouldn't admit it!

Best
Simon

I have older children youngest 24. But young Pedro is a child of our hearts, he was a day old when he arrived with us. He proved me wrong about my thoughts on adoption. I thought it was about what we would do for him, but really it has been all about what he has done for us.

• Like 4

Whats this no posts for ages then two within a week.

I managed to get the black paint done. I have trouble with water condensing on the outside of the air brush. Then getting sucked into the spray once out of the gun. Even at night with the air con on it was happening. I tied a bit of copper wire around gun near to the head with the ends pointing down to make a drip. The air pressure was turned down a little more, the paint made wetter and I seem to have got it all better and water free.

As always I have had trouble taking pictures of a black engine I really need a new tripod to keep it all steady.

Here are most of the parts some pictures were not good enough to post;

post-13601-0-81829800-1478907325_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-48877000-1478907343_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-53565600-1478907355_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-96962600-1478907365_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-60473600-1478907376_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-53707100-1478907387_thumb.jpg

Hopefully over the weekend I can get things masked up and the red paint out. on both the S15 and Dukedog.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looks very stylish in black. 

I know what you mean about the trouble of taking pics of dark subjects. A darker background and deflected (rather than direct) lighting usually helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Perplexing isn't it? 

(What nobody told me was that childcare now lasts into their thirties....)

I told mine they could leave home at 18, but when they youngest got to 20 and they were still there, I left home and came to Brazil.

• Like 1

So can we assume

A) you're a glutton for punishment

Or

B) you haven't learnt from previous experience. ?

:)

I envy you the swimming pool. Kent is warmer than most of the UK, But, its still November...

best

Simon

Edited by Simond

So can we assume

A) you're a glutton for punishment

Or

B) you haven't learnt from previous experience. ?

I envy you the swimming pool. Kent is warmer than most of the UK, But, its still November...

best

Simon

I am a glutton, but my wife was unable to have children, so we decided to adopt Pedro.

It's nice to use the pool there it's actually cooler than the river,a and there is often a breeze. Where we live there is hardly ever any wind. Yes that's a river,altough tidal it's fresh water.

Today was first time in workshop this week I had about 4 hours which at the moment is great, So after playing with Pedro, feeding him, going for a walk and giving him a shower, I actually managed to take these pictures, nothing at all constructive, and SWMBO thinks I live in my room. :sungum: :sungum:

Well here´s progress so far with the reassembly and finishing off the S15. The frames for the loco are ready for valve gear now. The bogies are ready too. The tank is almost ready for varnish. The loco body has the number on one side only. I am debating whether It is a small triangle under the number on some locos or a capital A  the old SR power class; The boiler bands still need to be added then I think we are or will be ready for a coat of varnish. I have found a nice acrylic artist varnish here. I use matt which dries nearer to satin. Gloss is unusable and satin is quite glossy.

post-13601-0-21662000-1480805162_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-64798800-1480805178_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-97452600-1480805190_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-02297200-1480805205_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-63536900-1480805216_thumb.jpg

Now for the progress with the Dukedog. The tender is almost complete. Just a little bit of detail painting to do. The loco is ready for boiler bands and then it will be varnished the frames need pickups and then should be done. The bogie is finished, like the S15 it is a bit of a pain as the bogie needs to be on to do anything to the frames because it´s part of the compensation but is best taken off to do the work to stop damage. 

post-13601-0-24448700-1480805229_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-20539700-1480805243_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-64470400-1480805257_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-41568200-1480805273_thumb.jpg

Hopefully they will be done by Christmas. I would of really like to of sold them by now but that´s not going to happen. I just need to start organizing the next builds.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 8

Overnight I came up with a cunning plan, well a plan anyway. I decided I will get the wheels etc needed to build my DJB M7, I will pass it on then treat myself to the Finny7 one. That way I should not be out of pocket. Now how do I wangle a radial tank!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Today was first time in workshop this week I had about 4 hours which at the moment is great, So after playing with Pedro, feeding him, going for a walk and giving him a shower, I actually managed to take these pictures, nothing at all constructive, and SWMBO thinks I live in my room. :sungum: :sungum:

Well here´s progress so far with the reassembly and finishing off the S15. The frames for the loco are ready for valve gear now. The bogies are ready too. The tank is almost ready for varnish. The loco body has the number on one side only. I am debating whether It is a small triangle under the number on some locos or a capital A  the old SR power class; The boiler bands still need to be added then I think we are or will be ready for a coat of varnish. I have found a nice acrylic artist varnish here. I use matt which dries nearer to satin. Gloss is unusable and satin is quite glossy.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

attachicon.gife.jpg

Now for the progress with the Dukedog. The tender is almost complete. Just a little bit of detail painting to do. The loco is ready for boiler bands and then it will be varnished the frames need pickups and then should be done. The bogie is finished, like the S15 it is a bit of a pain as the bogie needs to be on to do anything to the frames because it´s part of the compensation but is best taken off to do the work to stop damage. 

attachicon.giff.jpg

attachicon.gifg.jpg

attachicon.gifh.jpg

attachicon.gifi.jpg

Hopefully they will be done by Christmas. I would of really like to of sold them by now but that´s not going to happen. I just need to start organizing the next builds.

With the large Early Crest on the S15, it's more likely to be an 'A' rather than a water treatment triangle.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. It looked more like an A but the pictures were very pixilated to be certain.

I was looking at the pictures in Irwells The Book of the H15 & S15 4-6-0's. It's worth noting that 30503, ended up with a 5,200 tender (off H15 30482) and a U1 chimney in December 1954/January 1955 ;)

• Like 1