Nucast

Blandford1969

Posted Wednesday at 17:50

Do you sell the lubricators on the side of the smokebox of the Ilfracombe goods as a spare part? 

We can provide LSWR smokebox lubricators from our Adams Jubilee kit which are probably the same.  They are £2.50 for a pair plus £1.50 postage.  Give us a call 01342 822270

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitman said:

As much as we'd like to we have not commissioned a new chassis etch for this kit, sadly sales do not justify the £500 that would cost.

11 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That’s going to make a very fine kit Bill.

I read (on here) recently that it was going to be reissued…. But another company had commissioned an etched chassis to go with the Nucast body… I can’t remember who. Sorry.

Sadly I don’t think I can justify one at Henley-on-Thames.

Good luck though.

I assume the chassis being used now are the etched Nu-Cast ones rather than the older K's brass bar ones, whilst being quite basic as the loco has outside frames I guess if the present frames if they are like other Nu-Cast etched frames may be able to be made to either most of the normal 4mm gauges and possibly with a basic form of compensation. I guess also Alan Gibson will have milled frames available

I looked at an old Perseverance chassis list and there was not an Abadare chassis listed, the other company which made replacement chassis were Bristol Models but these were very much like the early brass bar chassis favoured by K's

I have not seen anything about anyone taking over the Perseverance range from Chris Parish's estate, the range was very extensive and covered many of the more popular loco classes from the big 4. In their own rite would be very popular as a standalone range, though I guess the artwork would all need to be moved on to a more modern format 

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

I assume the chassis being used now are the etched Nu-Cast ones rather than the older K's brass bar ones, whilst being quite basic as the loco has outside frames I guess if the present frames if they are like other Nu-Cast etched frames may be able to be made to either most of the normal 4mm gauges and possibly with a basic form of compensation. I guess also Alan Gibson will have milled frames available

I looked at an old Perseverance chassis list and there was not an Abadare chassis listed, the other company which made replacement chassis were Bristol Models but these were very much like the early brass bar chassis favoured by K's

I have not seen anything about anyone taking over the Perseverance range from Chris Parish's estate, the range was very extensive and covered many of the more popular loco classes from the big 4. In their own rite would be very popular as a standalone range, though I guess the artwork would all need to be moved on to a more modern format 

John,

the Perseverance and Westward ranges that Chris Parrish had were extensive and will need a lot of effort to sort them out. The new owner is continuing to do this, in addition to run his existing business. I don't envy him choosing what to re-introduce first.

Jol

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John,

the Perseverance and Westward ranges that Chris Parrish had were extensive and will need a lot of effort to sort them out. The new owner is continuing to do this, in addition to run his existing business. I don't envy him choosing what to re-introduce first.

Jol

Jol

That's is very good news and nice to know that they are going to be lost to the Model Railway community. I assume the drawings/artwork needs both checking and transferring to modern CAD format. Whilst many are available in other ranges in my opinion the style (if this is the correct description) in the way they have been designed is better than others available. Will the old stock be sold off  first ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Jol

That's is very good news and nice to know that they are going to be lost to the Model Railway community. I assume the drawings/artwork needs both checking and transferring to modern CAD format. Whilst many are available in other ranges in my opinion the style (if this is the correct description) in the way they have been designed is better than others available. Will the old stock be sold off  first ?

If the old 44xx chassis makes a reappearance that would make me very pleased…..

off to list some stuff on the classifieds now to fund an Aberdare…. 

• Like 2

I've been tinkering with an Aberdare bought on e-bay some years ago but the K's chassis has defeated me as far as getting it to run smoothly is concerned.  Searches for a suitable etched chassis drew a blank and it's been on the shelf for a while.  Excuse me for asking something again that might have been answered above.... but exactly what type of chassis will the new Aberdare kit be sold with?  I'm building for DCC.  I'll probably buy one anyway though!

33 minutes ago, snailpace said:

I've been tinkering with an Aberdare bought on e-bay some years ago but the K's chassis has defeated me as far as getting it to run smoothly is concerned.  Searches for a suitable etched chassis drew a blank and it's been on the shelf for a while.  Excuse me for asking something again that might have been answered above.... but exactly what type of chassis will the new Aberdare kit be sold with?  I'm building for DCC.  I'll probably buy one anyway though!

Whether someone uses DC or DCC in kit builds matters little other than not having a live chassis. If you have a K's chassis the chances are its the relationship between the axle and coupling rod holes. From memory my own issue was with both the wheels and motor. I fitted Romford wheels and a D11 motor and after a lot of fettling I got it working. It now needs a rebuild as the chassis and motor are not of a design I like. I also like fitting gearboxes as sometimes its the meshing of gears that is the issue. In addition I now model to EM gauge,

If the Nu-Cast chassis is available I would happily rebuild the chassis to EM gauge and possibly use a jointed set of coupling rods, additionally I now have a chassis jig which ensures the axles are matched to the coupling rods

I think sometimes we over think chassis just look at the amount of play RTR chassis have and they always seem to work reasonably, plus modern things like gearsets have moved on

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Jol

John.

provided the etch tools were part of the property, which I believe they were (although in the hands of the etchers), then nothing needs to be done with them. Only if the original tool artwork is still available can that be scanned and turned into CAD format to produce new tools. That is a costly exercise and not worthwhile if the original tools still exist.

AFAIK it is a question of working out what etch tooling, w/m moulds, etc. are needed to produce each kit, etc Whether any packing lists , etc. were available. I don't know. This seems to be a fairly common issue when ranges are "taken over", for example the 4mm ABS range is still being sorted out, many months after it was acquired by the present owner. Etch tools don't usually deteriorate but moulds or dies do become worn, the reason put forward for the discontinuation of the Sharman wheels range. Then there is the question of instructions, suitable boxes, etc.

That's why several ranges have "disappeared" over the years despite, going into new hands.

Jol

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

John.

provided the etch tools were part of the property, which I believe they were (although in the hands of the etchers), then nothing needs to be done with them. Only if the original tool artwork is still available can that be scanned and turned into CAD format to produce new tools. That is a costly exercise and not worthwhile if the original tools still exist.

AFAIK it is a question of working out what etch tooling, w/m moulds, etc. are needed to produce each kit, etc Whether any packing lists , etc. were available. I don't know. This seems to be a fairly common issue when ranges are "taken over", for example the 4mm ABS range is still being sorted out, many months after it was acquired by the present owner. Etch tools don't usually deteriorate but moulds or dies do become worn, the reason put forward for the discontinuation of the Sharman wheels range. Then there is the question of instructions, suitable boxes, etc.

That's why several ranges have "disappeared" over the years despite, going into new hands.

Jol

Jol

Thanks for the insight of the issues of taking over ranges.

From memory few chassis packs have cast parts, probably the exception is the 14/48xx  kits, most chassis used common parts in that the spacers and hornblock guide etches, as well as hardware (axle bearings, hornblocks, wire and tube ) which again makes the kits easier to assemble. However I accept for owners of small businesses there are only so many hours in a day and the bread and butter existing range takes priority.

Thanks again for the update 

• Like 1

Hope this isn't a daft question, but if I was wanting to make the Aberdare to EM gauge would I be able to use the existing chassis provided in the kit?  Would it be better to use an alan gibson mill frame?  Would the brassmasters Finney chassis be an alternative I could use?

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2022 at 19:43, The Fatadder said:

Out of interest what is the nucast chassis like for the Aberdare?  I think I’ve only seen them with the old K’s lump 

I’ve seen mention that Scalelink were going to release the Nucast Aberdare with a new etch chassis - due for release in November….

It was on the Scalelink website a few weeks ago, but I can’t find it now. The website needs a good overhaul! 

(No connection to either company, just passing on news.)

• Informative/Useful 3

23 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I’ve seen mention that Scalelink were going to release the Nucast Aberdare with a new etch chassis - due for release in November….

It was on the Scalelink website a few weeks ago, but I can’t find it now. The website needs a good overhaul! 

(No connection to either company, just passing on news.)

Sounds like an ideal complimentary addition!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

Hope this isn't a daft question, but if I was wanting to make the Aberdare to EM gauge would I be able to use the existing chassis provided in the kit?  Would it be better to use an alan gibson mill frame?  Would the brassmasters Finney chassis be an alternative I could use?

As no one has replied, providing they are using the NuCast etched chassis the answer is yes, though its an outside frame loco you could widen an 00 gauge chassis using a variety of methods from adding 1mm plastic sides, using wider frame spacers or just using axle washers to space the wheels out

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Sunday PW train. Loco was on lay over at OOC for the weekend.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike - I will have to squeeze a PW train into the Regatta schedule then 😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Short notice replacement for a failed regatta loco?

That would have been my suggestion, certainly in Devon you got some interesting substitutions on tourist services (28xx on CRE, 47xx etc).   I dont think it too implausible for the same to have happened for Regatta services 

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

That would have been my suggestion, certainly in Devon you got some interesting substitutions on tourist services (28xx on CRE, 47xx etc).   I dont think it too implausible for the same to have happened for Regatta services 

Thanks Rich, although I don't think I will be replicating the GWR breakdown crane along the lines of Pendon. I will leave that one to you, with your NA version.

On 18/11/2022 at 22:07, Jol Wilkinson said:

John.

Jol

My understanding, that I received from very good authority, as to why the Sharman range hasn't been continued relates to the wide range of varying tyres that Mike used.  Even when wheels were of similar diameter the tyres could be different. This lack of standardisation, requiring custom production of tyres, simply didn't fit with automated production.

• Agree 1

Finally the Aberdare's are available at £120 in two versions  with the GWR 3000 Gal Tender and with the ex ROD Tender.

We've added a few extra details like cab back head / Regulator / Tarpaulin Cab Sheet / Superheater Cover / Whistles / Lance Cock for the front of the Firebox.

The tenders have etched N/S chassis.  The loco is an etched brass chassis (not the original K's stamped one).  It also included the outside cranks in etched brass too.  We have, as usual made new moulds to restore the castings.  The instructions have been revamped providing better detail with some pics showing the new fittings.

Brian will be at Warley (NEC) this weekend and if the courier delivers will have some for sale there.

We, here at Forest Row, also have the kit in stock too.

NC028 - GWR-BR 26xx Aberdare with GWR 3000 Gal Tender box top pic.jpg

NC028Z - GWR-BR 26xx Aberdare with ROD Tender box tpo pic.jpg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 3