Nucast

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

Commercially, this makes the most sense. Average modellers money is worth just as much as super-finescalers money.

This might explain why you have no idea of the levels of projects inside them. Or just enjoy repeating the same old trope.

Finished Model.jpg

What's this? A Nu-Cast (now SEF) railcar? Built in an issue of BRM? Surely not. I mean @cctransuk says that sort of thing never happens...

Phil

I think a typo has crept in, according to my memory Southeastern Finecast have  never had a NE rail car within their portfolio..  NuCast partners  rereleased the NuCast model  when Dave still owned SEF

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Phil

I think a typo has crept in, according to my memory Southeastern Finecast have  never had a NE rail car within their portfolio..  NuCast partners  rereleased the NuCast model  when Dave still owned SEF

Sorry - it was a long while ago. I just imagine the current stand, and had a feeling it was from there. My mistake.

Still a nice kit though, and one I had wanted to build for many years.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well they advertise in all the magazines so can't be that much of a secret!

Maybe many of those that buy RTR aren't interested in kits and those that buy kits aren't buying the magazines?

I sort of feel I'm somewhere in the middle.

Jason

I have the Railway Modeller delivered each month and in the latest issue The Nucast Partnership's advert is about the LBSCR K class, nothing about the other kits and nowhere I can go and see more about any of the kits and what they come with

As for my comment about Branchlines their advert this month in the RM is about conversion packs for Dapol locos and motors, may make commercial sense and I am not complaining about it. But one of the RMwebbers pointed me in the direction of the Branchlines for their chassis they produce for the GEM IOMR locos, which then led me to spend even more on several items.  As it happens I had an old Branchlines general price list and completely missed (in the past) the 4mm narrow gauge section

Being a price list there were no details, thankfully after my first purchase they sent me a narrow gauge catalogue/sheet, now I am more enlightened as to what is available from them

All I am saying is for the brands mentioned plus SEF a simple website would help modellers. Given less traders are attending shows its more difficult to be aware what's available and what you get for your money 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Sorry - it was a long while ago. I just imagine the current stand, and had a feeling it was from there. My mistake.

Still a nice kit though, and one I had wanted to build for many years.

Prior to them reintroducing the GWR steam railcar I bought an unmade kit without a chassis, I must call Dave and buy one

Just a thought, why don't companies supply model railway mags with the odd kit with the proviso a build article would follow, I would have thought it would increase sales no end ?

• Like 2

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Just a thought, why don't companies supply model railway mags with the odd kit with the proviso a build article would follow, I would have thought it would increase sales no end ?

Some do. I've built a Planet Industrials loco this way, and several model buildings have arrived too.

A couple of potential problems - the first is time. A kit needs building and reasonably quickly, we need to have someone available. Then they have to have enough time, and kitbuilding eats that, to do the job. Imagine how long it takes you to build a loco, and then add in a few hours for setting up and taking photos of each stage.

Second, the kit firms are often very small and sending out a kit is a big hit to the bottom line. We'll often do a deal to buy things in if we really want to feature it - it's all about bringing the best content in for the reader.

That said, editorial sells models. I know a few firms who have commented that an appearance on the page brings in orders. Perhaps it's a super "try before you buy" that makes readers feel more confident about a purchase?

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Some do. I've built a Planet Industrials loco this way, and several model buildings have arrived too.

A couple of potential problems - the first is time. A kit needs building and reasonably quickly, we need to have someone available. Then they have to have enough time, and kitbuilding eats that, to do the job. Imagine how long it takes you to build a loco, and then add in a few hours for setting up and taking photos of each stage.

Second, the kit firms are often very small and sending out a kit is a big hit to the bottom line. We'll often do a deal to buy things in if we really want to feature it - it's all about bringing the best content in for the reader.

That said, editorial sells models. I know a few firms who have commented that an appearance on the page brings in orders. Perhaps it's a super "try before you buy" that makes readers feel more confident about a purchase?

Phil

I must confess I only read the Railway Modeller, EM gazette and the Scale 7 news letters. I used to buy all and sundry but in my old age I prefer the style of the Railway Modeller. I do  like to see what new products are available and articles on model building. 

As I said personally I think small traders fail to take advantage on the exposure any of the larger mags can give them, they are not losing the retail price, but the net cost less the relief they are able to offset on their tax bill.

Simple things like getting their test builder to write up a thread in these pages etc, would boost their sales. Anything to nudge a potential customers interest.

Why do companies give free samples away, simply it generates sales

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Then look closer. All the mags show projects for different skill levels. In recent BRM's we've had a very serious rebuild of a Hattons Barclay including remotoring the model and making very significant changes to the bodywork requiring much scratchbuilding, and even mix'matching. The lastest issue brings Jessie Sim's superb look at modelling fish vans (plus a prototype feature on them).  Tony Wright has been known to build loco kits on our pages too, far away from the most basic modelling.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Showing someone how to do something is much more helpful than asking them to read a slab of text describing it. Having written both (remember MORILL?), I find the more modern version, possible because of advances in camera technology, it's a far more efficient way to get information across. If you don't believe me (and I'm sure you don't), the popularity of instructional videos on YouTube should demonstrate it.

Great. That's two copies sold. Will this magic mag have a free-to-use forum we can come on and insult people?

If this is going to become personal, I decline to participate.

Expressing a personal opinion is, I believe, one of the functions of a discussion group. Most fora manage to separate the occupations of

the moderators from current discussion; RMweb seems to be unable to do this.

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

If this is going to become personal, I decline to participate.

Expressing a personal opinion is, I believe, one of the functions of a discussion group. Most fora manage to separate the occupations of

the moderators from current discussion; RMweb seems to be unable to do this.

CJI.

But isn't it reasonable - in any discussion - that if your opinion can be argued against, then you can and should be expect to be challenged on it?

FWIW, I have no idea of any right or wrong here, as I've not seen a copy of Model Rail, BRM or RM since about 2010.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, melmoth said:

But isn't it reasonable - in any discussion - that if your opinion can be argued against, then you can and should be expect to be challenged on it?

FWIW, I have no idea of any right or wrong here, as I've not seen a copy of Model Rail, BRM or RM since about 2010.

Entirely reasonable - I take no exception to a counter-argument.

Trouble is, any post here that implies a criticism of BRM is taken as, and denounced as, a personal insult against the moderators.

Reasoned debate then becomes pointless!

CJI.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

Entirely reasonable - I take no exception to a counter-argument.

Trouble is, any post here that implies a criticism of BRM is taken as, and denounced as, a personal insult against the moderators.

Reasoned debate then becomes pointless!

CJI.

I think that may be an opinion that also leaves itself open to challenge.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

If you are referring to Squires they have gone part way with an online ordering form and response which apparently avoids phone calls. See website for details.

I recently had a good experience with Squires. For anyone else thinking of buying SEF products, the SEF website hasn't been brought up to date yet, particularly still sporting an out of date 2021 pricelist and out of date payment methods. However, my email enquiry to check availability led to  an emailed invoice paid by bank transfer.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nick Lawson said:

Oh, and for anyone who has seen the ebayer trying to sell an unmade SEF tar wagon kit for £69, the current price at Squires/SEF is £22.99.

A bargain! Buy three! 😁

That has definitely been discussed in the ebay madness thread!

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Johan DC said:

Is this the online version?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/techniques/how-to-build-a-sentinel-steam-railcar/

Now I really need to learn how to solder white metal! 

I'd forgotten we'd put it online too. So many articles written, and it's the office who convert them to the web after a few months.

Whitemetal soldering isn't hard. Just set the iron to a temperature that melts the solder, and not the castings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have the Railway Modeller delivered each month and in the latest issue The Nucast Partnership's advert is about the LBSCR K class, nothing about the other kits and nowhere I can go and see more about any of the kits and what they come with

Details of the updating and re-release of the K Class kit can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2023/04/26/new-lbsc-sr-brs-k-class-2-6-0-kit-available-from-nucast-in-4mm/

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Details of the updating and re-release of the K Class kit can be read here https://southern-railway.com/2023/04/26/new-lbsc-sr-brs-k-class-2-6-0-kit-available-from-nucast-in-4mm/

Graham

Thank you very much and what a wonderful advert for the partnership and illustrates the point I was making, The write up clearly states its origin, revisions/updates made and what you receive, far better than a small add with the price.

When you see what the inferior K's kits fetch on eBay its certainly worth buying and I am relieved I never bought one

Thanks again I would never have found it

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2023 at 10:48, hayfield said:

I have always found a quick phone call brings dividends, Squires staff have always been very helpful every time I have phoned

SEF (Squires) have just confirmed (via a Facebook post) that they are working on a website with online ordering and told me (royal us) to "watch this space!"

Screenshot_20230714-100424-4303.png.57ce4638d2b4a2fc9e07d084ca43107a.png

I'll post in the relevant area when I know for sure, unless of course you beat me to it 👍

Edited by Tim Dubya
screengrab
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

SEF (Squires) have just confirmed (via a Facebook post) that they are working on a website with online ordering and told me (us) to "watch this space!"

I'll post in the relevant area when I know for sure 👍

Resistance to buy those kits I keep looking at will be out the window then!

Thanks for posting this Tim.

Regards, Neal.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Resistance to buy those kits I keep looking at will be out the window then!

Thanks for posting this Tim.

Regards, Neal.

Me too mate, G6 and chassis is top of the wants pile (as opposed to the "to build" pile 😁).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

SEF (Squires) have just confirmed (via a Facebook post) that they are working on a website with online ordering and told me (royal us) to "watch this space!"

I'll post in the relevant area when I know for sure, unless of course you beat me to it 👍

Resistance is futile...

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Can anyone kindly tell me whether the chassis kit for the re-issued 2021 class pannier is of a new, etched design or to the original design, please (and if the latter, what is it?).

Thanks.

Hi Tim,

It should be a new (done in 2017) design, similar to that included with the reissued 1600.

Justin

• Thanks 1