Nucast

17 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Armstrong Goods did not run with Churchward tenders AFAIK.

Possible probable I'm misidentifying but this on Warwickshire Railways isn't the Dean tender the Nucast kit comes with? I'd assumed that was a Churchward one.   I think the kit is with the tender in the second pic (also from the ever useful Warwickshire Rail)

image.png.ec4b02786d82ef1011661882b4adc925.png

image.png.033330e489e9a830cf9492c1d485b745.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is there a distinction between Dean and Churchward tenders, rather than simply between tenders of different capacity? (They all look the same to me, but then they're Great Western!)

From http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-tenders.html, I see continuous development.

Excluding the Armstrong tenders such as seen in the second photo above, of course.

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pretty sure the first one is a Dean 2500 gallon.

There was a 3000 gallon version, but I think that was a bit bigger.

12" longer in the wheelbase, I believe.

But the 2,500 gal tender set the basic pattern for all subsequent GW tenders, as far as I can see.

4 hours ago, Pebbles said:

My understanding, that I received from very good authority, as to why the Sharman range hasn't been continued relates to the wide range of varying tyres that Mike used.  Even when wheels were of similar diameter the tyres could be different. This lack of standardisation, requiring custom production of tyres, simply didn't fit with automated production.

Rather off topic, but the Sharman Wheels situation is not quite so straightforward. When Mike and Hilary ran the business (see MRJ #5) there was a variation in tyres sizes from the DIY automated lathes that Mike developed. Tyres were sorted into batches that fitted into the dies Mike produced.  When the business passed into the hands of Steve Hodgson, he used a different numerically controlled lathe and was able to produce tyres to specifically fit the dies, as required.

When the business then went to Phoenix Precision Paints as part of their expanding empire, the dies were becoming worn. Combined with the need to produce batches of varying tyres, they seem to lose interest and simply stopped production.

However, given a sufficiently large order for a particular wheel specification in the range, they do still produce wheels. I placed a large order some years ago (and I know of someone who has done so a couple of time recently). Unfortunately, the quality of the wheels, both tyre finish and flash from the moulding process in my order were somewhat below par. I have also just taken delivery of one 00/EM wheelset from their existing stock which shows the same issues, but they will be reprofiled to P4, which should take care of that.

We have a 2500 gal Tender which is I believe is the Dean Tender that  looks very similar to the Churchward Tenders.  We have only just discovered the chassis etch tool.   The 2500 gal tender has a 6'6'' - 6'6" wheelbase.  It also had the 'coffin' tank filler/dome arrangement.  Toolboxes were slightly different.  We still aim to bring that out in the near future

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 28/11/2022 at 14:13, Kitman said:

No sorry not yet but if enough people put in orders for it that could change

Hi there,

Is there a list of NuCast kits that you are producing? I live in Spain, so can not easily visit UK model railway exhibitions.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi there,

Is there a list of NuCast kits that you are producing? I live in Spain, so can not easily visit UK model railway exhibitions.

Thanks, Neal.

There was an email address somewhere where you can ask for the price lists.

I assume the Branchlines one would be right?

sales@branchlines.com

Or try Dave Ellis at

daveellis@gmail.com

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Looking through an old Modeller the other day for no particular reason, saw this and thought of you... The D40 was mentioned a while ago.

June 1981.

20221130_150257.jpg.111d8c41061cb7525fde1e839f76c844.jpg

Looking at the advert with kit ref NC126 GNoS/LNER D40 it also states the SECR/SR G class. Were they one of the same or do the two classes differ.  Or will there need to be alterations to convert it into a SECR G class

2 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Looking at the advert with kit ref NC126 GNoS/LNER D40 it also states the SECR/SR G class. Were they one of the same or do the two classes differ.  Or will there need to be alterations to convert it into a SECR G class

Same class.

It was an order that wasn't fulfilled for some reason ( I have read that the GNoSR had ran out of money) and the builders sold them to the SECR.

Jason

7 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Looking at Russells Pictorial Record of Southern Locos, the SECR locos had the (larger ?) cab with double windows unlike the photo on the box, is this cab included in the kit? As these 5 locos were ordered by the GNoR but sold to the SECR

Possibly servers 2 different markets !!

Edited by hayfield

2 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Looking at Russells Pictorial Record of Southern Locos, the SECR locos had the (larger ?) cab with double windows unlike the photo on the box, is this cab included in the kit? As these 5 locos were ordered by the GNoR but sold to the SECR

As it says on the Nucast ad, the photo with the cutout cab is a D41, not a D42

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2022 at 13:13, Kitman said:

No sorry not yet but if enough people put in orders for it that could change

Put me down for two wee Bens please and two of the Struan Bankers from Cotswold/Sutherland if anyone has these too, please.

Kevin

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Same class.

It was an order that wasn't fulfilled for some reason ( I have read that the GNoSR had ran out of money) and the builders sold them to the SECR.

Jason

The story of these locos can be found at

https://sremg.org.uk/steam/gclass.shtml

https://www.lner.info/locos/D/d40.php

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1