Hornby B12

Wherry Lines

The problem is the way the hobby is going with pre orders, short runs and limited editions. Most of these aren't going to be seen anywhere near a shop before they are sold out. Most of the Pecketts seem to be already gone for example.

If you don't put an order in then it's likely that you won't get one.

Jason

On the Peckett I would not worry to much, it is only sold out to pre-orders with Hattons, they have sold the first allocation, but in the end we do not know how many Hornby ordered, but they like to leave locos that sell in the catalogue for about 2 years min.

The issue I have is a new loco arriving as previous suitable coaches are dropped........

Stephen.

Stephen,

thanks for the useful information there. I have converted diesels and a couple of 060 coupled shunters, but never a hot water machine.

If you don't mind me writing it, your interpretation of P4 adherence to prototype is the same as mine, but there are seemingly a growing number who are using artificially widened gauge well beyond that allowed on the prototype for curved gauge widening just so they can run 9Fs and so on round curves that are barely larger than set track. Personally I think that defeats the whole point of P4, but that's just me.

Again, thanks for the info. When I get my B12 it will be in a queue behind a Bachmann 4MT- my first steam loco conversion.

There are a few models in 00 where the P4 wheels only leave a few thou clearance, but if the clearance is there then go ahead. The devil is in the details, some locos are very difficult if fine scale 00 wheels were used and the splashers were made close due to the wheels not requiring much side movement, as in 4 coupled locomotives.

P4 requires no side clearances for the wheels to move sideways, bar the amount the real thing has. This is why P4 requires you to stick to Prototype radius curves and scale turnouts.

For non experienced newcomers to P4, just do not expect the locos to go around corners! Things were tight under splashers on real locos and you are facing the same challenge.

On the Peckett I would not worry to much, it is only sold out to pre-orders with Hattons, they have sold the first allocation, but in the end we do not know how many Hornby ordered, but they like to leave locos that sell in the catalogue for about 2 years min.

The issue I have is a new loco arriving as previous suitable coaches are dropped........

Stephen.

According to the Hornby website, they are "Out of stock" for R3428, the MSC livery Peckett and "Pre-order allocation Sold Out" for R3427 Dodo and R3429 H&P livery Pecketts.  The semantic difference between the two states isn't quite clear. So its not just Hattons (and a number of other retailers) who are up against the buffers with regard to what looks set to be a highly desired model.  I should imagine that Hornby will be looking into a second batch as soon as possible, depending on how confident that they will be able to sell the majority of an additional batch after all the early adopters have been satisfied!

The latest "Engine Shed" blog allays any fears about the wheel spoke flares. They state that the wheels on the pre-production models illustrated were from an older model, and that the wheels fitted to the production models will be the correct ones.

The latest "Engine Shed" blog allays any fears about the wheel spoke flares. They state that the wheels on the pre-production models illustrated were from an older model, and that the wheels fitted to the production models will be the correct ones.

Indeed, but I'm sure that people will find something else to fret over.

Anyone counted the spokes on the drivers or the leading bogie?  :jester:

Fret, fret, fret. Agony. Twisted innards. Will the wheels be painted or will the correctly flared and numbered (pending rembrow’s answer) spokes be painted or will they be translucent yet again?  :banghead:

Edit: remember the days when centre driving wheels weren’t even flanged?

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

More precisely, below is an extract from the 'blog'

It seems as though the images we released in our previous blog caused this confusion and perhaps rightly so given that the wheels on the models shown in the images are in fact from an old B12 model and were simply put on these samples for photography purposes only.

Credit to Hornby for accepting the confusion caused I think. 

It seems as though the images we released in our previous blog caused this confusion and perhaps rightly so given that the wheels on the models shown in the images are in fact from an old B12 model and were simply put on these samples for photography purposes only.

And proof, if proof is required for the naysayers, that the manufacturers do read that which is written on Forums and that our comments are taken on board.

Well done Hornby :imsohappy:

• Like 1

Well if common sense prevailed amongst the moaners then they would've noticed the correct profiled wheels in the various CAD renders. Unfortunately rather than looking out people decide to voice their opinions out too soon.

Indeed there was a bit of confusion, but they CAD shows the proof. I'm sure Hornby isn't stupid to either "lose" lose the CAD work for the wheels and/or spend money to modify it and change it to something incorrect.

• RMweb Gold

And proof, if proof is required for the naysayers, that the manufacturers do read that which is written on Forums and that our comments are taken on board.

Agree.....and I wish that were the norm in every case,in particular in the matter of their rendering of BR green.That however is another matter.For now,panic over.

• Like 2

Fret, fret, fret. Agony. Twisted innards. Will the wheels be painted or will the correctly flared and numbered (pending rembrow’s answer) spokes be painted or will they be translucent yet again?  :banghead:

Edit: remember the days when centre driving wheels weren’t even flanged?

But the wonderful designers at Margate not only fitted un-flanged, in an un-hindged moment, they put the flange back on a smaller middle wheel to a different profile..........and we trust them on subtle spoke profiles!!??

Stephen

Don't know that this is proof they read forums?............ their blog yes. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

Indeed, but I'm sure that people will find something else to fret over.

Anyone counted the spokes on the drivers or the leading bogie?  :jester:

I think it was Mike Sharman who said if the number of spokes exceeded the number of fingers on both hands the designers gave up counting and guessed.......

Stephen

Also the trusting members here who believe Hornby will usually get it right, should look at the history of Hornby, cast handrails, moulded on pipes, wheels from stock sizes, wrong wheelbases, wrong fittings, adjusted dimensions, varying wheel profiles on one model, un-needed flangeless wheels, shrunk length and width of models, flangeless pony truck wheels, visible seams, pure plastic finishes, over sized valve gear, oversized connecting rods, oversized crankpin screws.... the list just goes on.

They are infinity better now, but unless the customer permanently demands the best, they will, at best, get mediocrity. Whilst in the trade I had long talks with them about points above and many more, and could see their then position that after all it was only a toy train, not a scale model.

But the issue was why did the Germans in the 60's onwards keep raising standards way beyond anything from Margate, and they sold the models to both scale and toy markets. each year I would attend the toy fair in London and the German Nuremberg Fairs, and it was just so down heartening to see the stuff from the UK against the European rivals.

And the point that made it worst then was Hornby could not really see what was happening.

The Chinese and Far Eastern production has cured it, it was not really Hornby that improved, it was dealing with makers who made the rivals by then, and they offered better finish and details.

It is the consumer who is King here, they should be pursuing better and better models, which we are now getting, but it has to be maintained.

Stephen

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That means if anyone want's to re-wheel one with the incorrect wheels they can  :jester:

• Like 1

That means if anyone want's to re-wheel one with the incorrect wheels they can  :jester:

Don't say that..... there will be a run on the old wheels stocks!!! There must be a demand as so many seemed satisfied with the wrong wheels......

• Like 1

Don't know that this is proof they read forums?............ their blog yes. 

Quote from the Engine Shed blog...

The Wheels Keep Turning on the B12...

Finally this week we would like to address some concerns from some rather worried forum goers about the wheels on our upcoming B12.

QED and goodnight.

Quote from the Engine Shed blog...

The Wheels Keep Turning on the B12...

Finally this week we would like to address some concerns from some rather worried forum goers about the wheels on our upcoming B12.

QED and goodnight.

Had you quoted that then I would have agreed..........sleep tight ! 

Do not fret folks.

There is still the matter of the bogie wheels.

An area where Hornby most definitely do historically have problems.

That should produce a few more pages of speculation.

My position? B12 on order and a set of wheels added to my Markits wanted list.

I would love to be proved wrong but some how I doubt it.

Bernard

Do not fret folks.

There is still the matter of the bogie wheels.

An area where Hornby most definitely do historically have problems.

That should produce a few more pages of speculation.

My position? B12 on order and a set of wheels added to my Markits wanted list.

I would love to be proved wrong but some how I doubt it.

Bernard

Look at post 177  they are matching the drivers on the D16 .

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at "Coming Soon" on the Hornby website, I was a bit puzzled by only one B12 shown thus, as its been listed there since the beginning of October and I thought it would have been joined by its companions by now!

Investigation revealed that Hornby estimated arrival dates have telescoped backwards for the Black liveries, from the 18th November for R3431 (EC) to 30th November for both.  R3430 (LNER) is still currently at 4th December.

The waiting is prolonged!!!  :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

B12 arrivals are all over the place.

According to the Hornby website:

R3430 (LNER) is holding at 04/12/16

R3431 (BR/EC) has slumped to 02/12/16

R3432 (BR/LC) is holding at 30/11/16

The way things are going, we might get them by Christmas!

• RMweb Gold

B12 arrivals are all over the place.

According to the Hornby website:

R3430 (LNER) is holding at 04/12/16

R3431 (BR/EC) has slumped to 02/12/16

R3432 (BR/LC) is holding at 30/11/16

The way things are going, we might get them by Christmas!

Dow Jones or FTSE ?