Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Well this thread certainly puts minor things like weapons of mass destruction and is1s into perspective...

Didn't you know? Toy Trains above else. Now leave this thread immediately. You're obviously not fanatical enough.

P

On what level has this been "badly handled"?!

New manufacturer releases previously unannounced locos. Doesn't involve the press or any of the usual media outlets in the release but instead allows the quality of the product to speak for itself. Gives previous loyal customers first dibs and (once their orders are clear) allows everyone else an opportunity to pile in.

You think this is badly handled?

I'm a previous customer and haven't been invited to buy one at the "loyalty" price.  So from that angle it does perhaps feel a bit "elitist"...

• RMweb Premium

Have you ever thought that perhaps SLW/RE want to do things differently? For years we've all had to twiddle our thumbs as one manufacturer after another promises the earth and then takes an age to deliver it. The hobby is stagnating with anticipation.

The problem with the big manufacturers announcing loco "X" will be released in 1 - 2 years' time is that it then kills the sales of the one-man cottage industry who has put his heart and soul into designing and developing an etched brass etc. loco kit for the next 1 - 2 years, as many decide to wait for the RTR version.

Only for the newly released RTR version to receive bad reviews on RMWeb, so said punter decides to go for the kit after all. Which is no longer available cos' said manufacturer was so p!ssed with zero sales he discontinued it :(

Admittedly the above applies more to steam outline locos, though not exclusively (I wonder how many Class 128 DPU kits have been sold by DC Kits since Heljan announced then released theirs?).

As for pricing of the R.E. Class 24 - sure it's expensive, but I understand that a decent DCC Sound chip will set you back the best part of a ton (without the speakers etc.?). Which starts to make the basic loco look pretty cheap IMHO.

Me?  I'm tempted, but will hold fire until a livery with SYP is released......

Out of interest, does anyone know where these models are manufactured

Cheers,

Brian

It doesn't bother me, but the pricing appears to either be a mistake or they have had a change of heart re previous customers as the pricing has reduced for new customers.  I suggest you either order quickly or be prepared for a correction on the pricing.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-14 at 19.48.09.png

They look the same prices as in my offer letter (£160 as a loyalty offer) and £175 on open market.

For a £15 difference, I nearly decided to wait a few months to save the pennies, nearly that is!

• RMweb Premium

John

Have you ever thought that perhaps SLW/RE want to do things differently? For years we've all had to twiddle our thumbs as one manufacturer after another promises the earth and then takes an age to deliver it. The hobby is stagnating with anticipation.

Then along comes SLW with a new approach. "Hello, we've made this..." Ta-dah!

The product speaks for itself. Why would you spend a fortune on advertising and give away free samples when the only recommendation you really need is from the people who open the box?

We live in a new age; a largely Internet-driven age. The hobby needs more SLWs. More fresh ideas and less stagnation.

Please read my posts again.

Nowhere have I suggested that SLW should follow traditional announcement / advertising / marketting methods - that's entirely up to them and I, for one, welcome the 'out of the blue' "It's available!" approach.

All that I have taken exception to is the well publicised "mates first - others sometime later" approach, with no indication of exactly when others can order.

The method used will precipitate a frenzy of phone calls when the designated time arrives, causing even more frustration.

My suggestion that e-mail and letter reservations could have been accepted from the day of announcement, to be dealt with in date / time order as staffing permitted, would have avoided all of that.

I will reiterate, for the benefit of those who seem to be reading that which I have not posted, SLW can market in any way they choose. I merely suggested that a lot of the negative comments concerning communications could have been avoided by the method that I have outlined; (and would have produced at least one more sale to me).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am a previous customer, albeit some years ago when I bought their 2 exclusive Bachmann Class 03s, and I did receive details of the Class 24. I wonder if those who did not hadn't seen or responded to the earlier e-mail asking them to confirm their details ? Either way, I do not regard this as a 'mates first' approach, but rather as a means of valuing and rewarding existing customers.

Mornin' all,

Has anyone found a positive comment from John on this thread yet?

Dave

Or, alternatively, a negative one from you: pot calling the kettle black. Every time a reservation is expressed about this model or SLW you immediately jump in and attack. I think you ought to be open and honest with us all and say just what is your relationship with SLW, for it seems to be a lot closer than you have intimated so far.

The SLW Class 24 is very much better than either of the two predecessors, but it is a long way from being perfect and doesn't justify the c£200 price tag. For that money it has to be a lot better than it is. I shall wait for the forthcoming Bachmann model to see how that does. At my age it is probably the last chance to get an accurate Derby Sulzer, but there you go!

Re the comments on the diagonal member behind the radiator. This is part of the structure of the locomotive. The loco was designed with a 'Warren Girder' style of superstructure which was intended to support the weight of the Sulzer engine and the generating set. The radiator itself was designed to be behind the diagonal but the grill is in front. A little more research on the part of SLW would have made this clear.

Reading and receiving  and sending many tens or maybe hundreds of letters takes time and I would imagine a costly enterprise, e-mails do get lost [not allowed by filters].SLW are willing to man the telephone for over 10 hours a day if you do wish to order, what's wrong with that.

I do not know the proprieters of SLW but I was invited to the launch, but was away on holiday at the time, so did not attend. The e-mail sent to me to purchase was sent but not received seemingly, I did as requested and telephoned  when applicable and I now await delivery within the next day or so.

As people on this website have said it is only a hobby.

You wouldn't get more bitchiness at a kids pony gymkhana than you see in these in these columns! 

The RE class 24 is, I think, about to set a new benchmark in quality for RTR OO gauge locomotives. True there may be some faults, but those who don't make mistakes don't make anything!

A maxim the moaners might take to heart. If folk don't like what is being offered or the way it is being sold then walk away and leave it alone - don't keep clogging up these columns PLEASE!

I'm in the process of buying both models and look forward to quality locos going round my layout producing quality Sultzer music.I am not related to, or in the pay of RE - just happy to see someone injecting some enthusiasm and quality into the railway modelers scene. I for one wish them every success for the future after some difficult times.

• Like 3

I'm a previous customer and haven't been invited to buy one at the "loyalty" price.  So from that angle it does perhaps feel a bit "elitist"...

have you checked with them whether you've just accidentally been left off a list? It may not be intentional and mistakes do happen

Nowhere have I suggested that SLW should follow traditional announcement / advertising / marketting methods - that's entirely up to them and I, for one, welcome the 'out of the blue' "It's available!" approach.

All that I have taken exception to is the well publicised "mates first - others sometime later" approach, with no indication of exactly when others can order.

The method used will precipitate a frenzy of phone calls when the designated time arrives, causing even more frustration.

My suggestion that e-mail and letter reservations could have been accepted from the day of announcement, to be dealt with in date / time order as staffing permitted, would have avoided all of that.

I will reiterate, for the benefit of those who seem to be reading that which I have not posted, SLW can market in any way they choose. I merely suggested that a lot of the negative comments concerning communications could have been avoided by the method that I have outlined; (and would have produced at least one more sale to me).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

the previous customer loyalty offer had a date with it ... I'm sure it was the 14th December

Regards,

John Isherwood.

the previous customer loyalty offer had a date with it ... I'm sure it was the 14th December

The RE class 24 is, I think, about to set a new benchmark in quality for RTR OO gauge locomotives.

Couldn't agree more - but let's not forget that it's about to set a new benchmark in RTR EM and P4 gauge too.

I may be wrong but I don't think there has ever been an "off-the-shelf" EM or P4 loco produced before.

This release breaks so much new ground. 

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd pop back to read this thread and see how things are going, I see everyone is still fighting and arguing over a perfectly decent model, so I'm going back to playing with my trains, can someone let me know when the bickering stops.

Thanks, Paul

• Like 1

Thought I'd pop back to read this thread and see how things are going, I see everyone is still fighting and arguing over a perfectly decent model, so I'm going back to playing with my trains, can someone let me know when the bickering stops.

Thanks, Paul

That's me done too! i'm out!

Still buying the model but giving up with all this negativity on here!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's me done too! i'm out!

Still buying the model but giving up with all this negativity on here!

I'm with you John, think I'll hold out for the next batch, don't want to ruin a lovely model with my dodgy self applied yellow ends!!

There's quite a positive thread about it on the BrBlue forum, having said that no one argues on there it's great :)

Cheers, Paul

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all,

Has anyone found a positive comment from John on this thread yet?

Dave

Dave,

Don't bother looking - you won't find one!

That's because I've not commented on the quality of the model, other than to say that my original intention was to make an impulse purchase; (that's got to be positive, surely)?

My negative comments have been restricted to the marketting, despite attempts from several persons to condemn me for denigrating SLW for producing the model.

Do some people genuinely read what they want to be there, rather than what is posted?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

It would be very interesting to sub divide this post into three sections.

One for those who own this model

One for those who are thing about purchasing one

And one for those who have no intention of buy one.

And yes I've got one with sound, I couldn't make one for that price.

It would be very interesting to sub divide this post into three sections.

One for those who own this model

One for those who are thing about purchasing one

And one for those who have no intention of buy one.

And yes I've got one with sound, I couldn't make one for that price.

Sorry for the spell checker, should be, thinking and buying