Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

Any news on how well these are selling, need a sell out so a Tyne Dock version will come along :)

John

I asked how many they had left but its a closely guarded secret (understandably I suppose)

• RMweb Premium

Finished now thanks to quick service from Fox but have realised Bachmann have done '035 as their sound fitted machine! may have to change it to '033 she was still running in 1976, just.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifc.jpg

What sized Kadee coupler did you use on yours, 18 or 19??

Finished now thanks to quick service from Fox but have realised Bachmann have done '035 as their sound fitted machine! may have to change it to '033 she was still running in 1976, just.

Of note 24 033 still had water tanks when at Swindon Scrapyard in 1977, 063 is a possible option it lasted till early 1979, one of the last two running, the other being 24 081 

HTH

Ken

Gary, I tried 18's but they were a bit tight so settled on 19's.

Ken, the reason I chose '035 was because of a photo on the Derby Sulzer site of it in Crewe station with the three disc headcode and it had no tank, so may just leave it as is.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if anyone from SLW will be attending any shows? I would of course just buy one mail order, but one would hate to leave a tell tale sign on one's bank statement...

You could always go 'paperless' statements!!!

Or alternatively, 'accidentally' lose the statement.  :derisive:

• Like 1

Does anyone know if anyone from SLW will be attending any shows? I would of course just buy one mail order, but one would hate to leave a tell tale sign on one's bank statement...

Don't think there's any plans to venture out to mainstream shows but it is possible to pre-order and collect from their office once its ready to collect.

Just use the double entry system: you enter through one door and distract the other half, while the dog enters through another with the package tied to his collar. QED* !

* Quite Easily Done.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

I came up with a better idea:

"I work effing long hours whilst you sit at home all day. If I want to buy "a toy train" then I will damned well do so and if you don't like it, you know where your Mother lives..."

Though since the house is actually hers, I'm not so sure that will work. If you never hear from me again, assume it didn't go so well and that there is a body under the new patio.

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of running 081 on Kirkmellington all weekend at the Southampton show and it was a real pleasure, far superior in sound and control than any of Bachmanns factory fitted type 2s in my fleet and better (but only just) than Legomans 26/27 Loksound 4. It took us each a good hour or more to get used to driving the loco, using the brakes and not ramming the train \ buffers \ floor. Our only regret is that Kirkmellinton is a short shunting layout and the 24 was crying out for a long stretch of track to really give the full range of sounds a work out.

On the basis of this model, I hope that the speculation of a 25 comes true.

• Like 2

Tricky, isn't it? Enormous fun and tremendously satisfying. I ended up studying the redoubtable Mr. Chetter's notes and putting together lists of what to press and when in order to work through a start sequence, a couple up and pull away and a shut down.

A video on my laptop annoyed the hell out of my daughter but her bloke watched the whole thing with a grin on his face. :D

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of running 081 on Kirkmellington all weekend at the Southampton show and it was a real pleasure, far superior in sound and control than any of Bachmanns factory fitted type 2s in my fleet and better (but only just) than Legomans 26/27 Loksound 4. It took us each a good hour or more to get used to driving the loco, using the brakes and not ramming the train \ buffers \ floor. Our only regret is that Kirkmellinton is a short shunting layout and the 24 was crying out for a long stretch of track to really give the full range of sounds a work out.

On the basis of this model, I hope that the speculation of a 25 comes true.

Thank you for your words of appreciation.

The concept I had for this sound project was that it should be straightforward enough to operate in the usual way, but to provide an array of manual interventions so that in situations where the automatic responses may not represent the sound/movement relationship that the operator requires, they can, nevertheless be called up manually.

This has been a constant theme throughout all my projects but now, having worked directly with ZIMO software engineers to amend the decoder software, I've been able to provide these integrated features which work seamlessly with the automatic controls.

For short(ish)* layouts you can get each of the engine sounds available with the use of F7, F23, F24, F25 and F26. These will ramp the power sounds to any required level at any road speed, including stationary. So, for instance, press F26 immediately before moving off, use the throttle control gently and your loco will move slowly at maximim power. Just prior to reaching your braking zone, release F26 and the engine sounds will spool down so you can come to a halt with engine idling. You can use each of these F keys in this way, or in combinations.

*  Of course, this works equally as effectively on longer or roundy-roundy layouts.

This means that you can make the sounds follow the movement accurately - no longer do you need to 'drive to match the sounds'. (Though that is also an option with this project if that's what you prefer).

I should also mention that I have created a Class 26 sound project which works in the same fashion as this 24, and that Classes 25 and 27 are under construction at the moment, and will available as usual from Digitrains (only) so look out for announcements. RE also has the Class 47/8 in this format.

(In fact, many of my diesel and steam projects are available from Digitrains in this 'ActiveDrive' format already, more being added regularly).

Have fun,

Paul

P.S. The User Notes I posted earlier are a useful resource.

• Like 2

thanks Paul, I was also running a Hornby sentinel with the Digitrains zimo micro chip fitted, I think that is one of yours too. It was also very good and drove very well.

I may have to indulge myself further.....

Yes, indeed, that is one of mine, but as yet it's not an ActiveDrive project so no Brake Key feature. I have recorded another Sentinel since that was created so when the new project is completed it will be to a similar specification, with brakes an' all.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Yes, indeed, that is one of mine, but as yet it's not an ActiveDrive project so no Brake Key feature. I have recorded another Sentinel since that was created so when the new project is completed it will be to a similar specification, with brakes an' all.

Kind regards,

Paul

Aha! A reblow will be required then. My Sentinel runs beautifully and sounds superb but I can’t get the top on. Surgery, which I should like to avoid, looks inevitable. It awaits my gathering enough courage.

Aha! A reblow will be required then. My Sentinel runs beautifully and sounds superb but I can’t get the top on. Surgery, which I should like to avoid, looks inevitable. It awaits my gathering enough courage.

Hornby Magazine Issue 81 has a 'Step by Step' photo guide to sound installation in the Hornby Sentinel. That should give you the courage you need. There's not much surgery required and though space is tight the full Hornby cab interior can be retained.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Here is a short video of our 'lessons' featuring the SLW 24 (and others)

https://youtu.be/A3k-FbFTg0E

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two superb SLW class 24's released in November and ever since nothing ! come on Phil, i've got some dosh to throw in your direction, next one or two please.

See my reply in post #849.... I'm waiting for that to come out.

I'm hoping this livery is released soon...Looks more striking with the silver grilles, so I'd be happy to wait!

http://www.rmweb.co....-1448819117.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co....-1448839599.jpg