Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

With reference to post 787 above, if we are keen to support SLW and this class 24 mode6,l then we need to vote for it in the British Model Railway Awards. So get on there and make your choice and let's ensure Phil and Jamie and Paul understand they have our support! Tony.

Already voted last week for them :D

• Like 1

Phil and Jamie and Paul (sorry Paul, missed you off) got my votes :-)

With reference to post 787 above, if we are keen to support SLW and this class 24 model,l then we need to vote for it in the British Model Railway Awards. So get on there and make your choice and let's ensure Phil and Jamie and Paul understand they have our support! Tony.

Edited by 47606odin

I've asked Phil about the full instructions the other day and I've had a rely. They have been busy send out orders, so it's been all hands to the pump, so that folk could get their locos. The full instructions will be available soon Phil says, so I'm sure they are not that far away now. Tony.

PS Looking at the support above it should win OO loco of the year me thinks!

• Like 1

Clearly they were keen to get the orders fulfilled as quickly as possible, good business practise. However, it is surprising that the instructions couldn't have been written during the latter part of design/manufacturing process.

Perhaps they assumed that, with an RTR product, most people wouldn't want to do anything other than admire/run it.

• RMweb Gold

Clearly they were keen to get the orders fulfilled as quickly as possible, good business practise. However, it is surprising that the instructions couldn't have been written during the latter part of design/manufacturing process.

Perhaps they assumed that, with an RTR product, most people wouldn't want to do anything other than admire/run it.

"The best laid plans of mice and men go wrong"

I suspect that their business plan included instructions in the box, as is the norm and their customer's expectation.  Furthermore, I'm charitable enough to suspect that the omission is not deliberate and that somewhere along the line they have been the victims of the law of sod.  It's far more difficult for small companies to recover such a situation than a big outfit. 

I'd rather wait a few weeks after the announcement to get the instructions, but have the model, than wait YEARS after the announcement for the model, with the paperwork in the box!

I got brave and decided to try hiding toning down the vertical bars on the main cooling group grille with a little bit of black wash. While I had the paint out, I also toned down the white pipes on the bogies.

The photo actually shows the grille bars too well, but from normal viewing distances and angles, the vertical bars are far less obvious than they were.

SLW%20Class%2024%20-%20Minor%20Weatherin

• Like 4

what i find very encouraging with this model is that it can be ordered pre fitted with either 00 EM or P4 wheelsets and you get to keep the stock 00 wheelsets.

for RTR diesels i think this is a great step forward and its helping hands like this that would encourage those that are time poor like me to move into EM or P4.  no 6 month waiting period either waiting for aftermarket EM/P4 wheelsets.

I hope we see this option adopted by the bigger players too.........they can learn a few things from this new Class 24 including the tin box and packing.

what i find very encouraging with this model is that it can be ordered pre fitted with either 00 EM or P4 wheelsets and you get to keep the stock 00 wheelsets.

for RTR diesels i think this is a great step forward and its helping hands like this that would encourage those that are time poor like me to move into EM or P4.  no 6 month waiting period either waiting for aftermarket EM/P4 wheelsets.

I hope we see this option adopted by the bigger players too.........they can learn a few things from this new Class 24 including the tin box and packing.

Hope they decide to do a Class 86 or Class 87.

Someone has to make the Class 47 to these standards......is Bachmann going to announce one in March?? if not Gentleman you should as it will be a sure winner judging by the comments of these locos on here and in the press. Everybody seems to love them! I haven't bought one but would if a weathered work horse in tops blue is produced as you can only have so many 24/25s (3&8 respectivley)

Brenn

• RMweb Premium

I can only echo all the comments regarding this loco now I have mine.  The sound is great, well done Paul, but the running abilities really surprised me.  Bear in mind my loco stud is mostly high-end US diesels with twin flywheel drives and can motors, the very reason I went to US models 20 years ago and they run beautifully.  The 24 is better....quieter (I cannot hear ANY motor/drive sound with the sound on, not tried it silent yet), smoother, perfect starts and stopping, I cannot fault one iota of it's running.  Oddly it won't recognise on SPROG/Decoder pro, not sure why yet, so I haven't been able to fiddle with any CV's yet, but as it comes it is very well set up.  I might tweak the sound a smidge for my own tastes, but it is very nice to have a loco out of the box that has been thoughtfully configured.

Full marks to all concerned.  Now how the hell am I going to get the guts to weather it!  It needs a SYP too.  It may have to wait......

• RMweb Premium

This could just be the only UK outline model to tempt me back after a 10 year absence!

It is a thing of beauty.

What are the chances of a  green example with small yellow ends and lower bodyside white band like D5054?