Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I'm hoping to get my hands on one of the Tyne Dock ones (though can't pre-order as I'm not an existing customer). 

Now all we need is someone to make some Consett Iron Ore Hoppers... I remember having one of the Hornby Consett hoppers (that was nothing like the prototype!) and the drop as a kid, and the Tyne Dock to Consett railway line ran within half a mile of my parents' house.

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get my hands on one of the Tyne Dock ones (though can't pre-order as I'm not an existing customer). 

Now all we need is someone to make some Consett Iron Ore Hoppers... I remember having one of the Hornby Consett hoppers (that was nothing like the prototype!) and the drop as a kid, and the Tyne Dock to Consett railway line ran within half a mile of my parents' house.

Bear in mind that the loco you get isn't strictly a 'Tyne Docker', it is one of the Gateshead based locos that was subsequently modified for the Consett iron ore trains so you also need the Tyne Dock add on pack and the roof does require some alterations to be accurate.

As for the wagons, there are already kits out there for the wagons from either Dave Bradwell (an etched kit with resin details) and Dave Alexander (white metal with resin).

Here's one of the Alexander kits that I've built (only 17 more to go  :O  )

IMG_2153.jpg

And a step by step here: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=709

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 3

Bear in mind that the loco you get isn't strictly a 'Tyne Docker', it is one of the Gateshead based locos that was subsequently modified for the Consett iron ore trains so you also need the Tyne Dock add on pack and the roof does require some alterations to be accurate.

As for the wagons, there are already kits out there for the wagons from either Dave Bradwell (an etched kit with resin details) and Dave Alexander (white metal with resin).

Here's one of the Alexander kits that I've built (only 17 more to go  :O  )

IMG_2153.jpg

And a step by step here: http://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=709

John

Thanks John.  I'd realised I also need the £7.50 Tyne Dock pack for accuracy, but the reminder's appreciated!

That's a lovely looking wagon (well, as lovely as it can be considering the prototype...).  I'll investigate those suppliers, thanks!

I know that what I'm going to say won't be in any way new or original but I need to say it anyway.  My 24081 arrived today.  It's a 50 th birthday present to myself - that's  how I rationalised the nearly £300 price tag.  But what a model, simply light years ahead of my fleet of Bachmann 24's and 25's and worth every single penny. To anyone who, like I was, is still prevaricating about spending what is quite a lot of money replacing something you already have (i.e. a Bachmann 24)  don't wait another minute.  SLW deserve not only this to be a major success but for us all to gratefully thank them.  I'm incredibly pleased with mine, and from tomorrow start saving up for another blue one.

The only drawback is it's so beautiful I'm too scared to weather it!!

Bravo SLW!!  this is stunning!  Now please, let me buy some 25's of you as soon as possible.   I'm 50 next week and I'm losing my faculties rapidly!  

BTW - no connection other than very impressed customer.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ordered D 5098 ( 50A) at 12:15 over phone via Phil.

E mail received 90 minutes later from Jamie . Ready for my collection at York Show on Saturday.Am contacting Cross Country to lay on an extra 220 to assist with transportation home.

Footnote . Spotted the real D 5098 then 52A with plain front at York in September 1960 on a Leeds-Newcastle passenger.What goes round comes round.

Guest 40-something

Great looking loco's these, but out of my price range.  I'll stick to Bachmanns rats, however I wish SLW every success as they deserve it!

• RMweb Gold

Phil has a stand this weekend at theYork Show.If you are anywhere in the vicinity,then go take a look and have a chat with him and try a demo for yourself ........he even let a couple of young lads try them out,which is brave of him and far-sighted in terms of drawing a young generation into railway modelling,something he wisely recognises Others should take note of his example ...maybe ?

The new 24's are as impressive as the first batch.Particularly impressive is the sound version.Superlatives are insufficient to describe the quality and controllability. It was poignant to sit alongside a gent who introduced himself as a former 25 driver who was as mesmerised as we were.

As to the grille "issues" abovementioned,you must judge for yourself.I am not getting drawn into that.

I  collected my D5098.Sadly,only dc analogue...but I'm still delighted with that.

A 25,you ask ? He said it would depend on how these 24's sell at the moment...a wisely cautious approach.

A plea that he be given a separate topic/thread from me. Given his committment and performance on the SLW stand yesterday,then it is well merited and deserving.Give him your support and a helping hand if you feel you can. I have no axe to grind other than I know a good product when I see....and hear....one.

• Like 5

The product really is something else, whether its worth the money is entirely down to the buyer but for somebody who was baulking at 4mm diesels breaking the £100 barrier, paying £300 for one which is of no significance in my area of interest, would have seemed laughable just a few months ago but then this came along.

I have to confess, I am wondering what the world is coming to, first this and before the year is out we could have Boris Johnston as PM, Donald Trump as US President and Leicester City as Premiership Champions...strange days these!

Sutton's Locomotive Works. Phil Sutton and Jamie Walsh in partnership.

I wasn't being serious you know? I was on about the wrong spelling of Suttons to Surtons as the thread has been renamed

Edit: it's been corrected now

Edited by 37081LochLong

• RMweb Premium

The product really is something else, whether its worth the money is entirely down to the buyer but for somebody who was baulking at 4mm diesels breaking the £100 barrier, paying £300 for one which is of no significance in my area of interest, would have seemed laughable just a few months ago but then this came along.

I have to confess, I am wondering what the world is coming to, first this and before the year is out we could have Boris Johnston as PM, Donald Trump as US President and Leicester City as Premiership Champions...strange days these!

I model American H0 for Christ sakes and I bought one! :laugh:

Whats more, I can easily pay £240 for a main stream, mass produced, American H0 sound equipped diesel so I tend to think that these superior SWL models are extremely good value!!

You can more than double that price for a big American steam loco.