Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

This is the letter/email that has gone out to previous customers as a priority offer. Reproduced here in full with permission.

EASTER LAUNCH FOR NEW SLW CLASS 24 

SUTTON’S LOCOMOTIVE WORKSHOP will display the newest version of its widely acclaimed 4mm scale Class 24 model at the York Model Railway Exhibition over the Easter holiday weekend (March 26th to 28th). This much requested release will be available for visitors to inspect and place orders on our display (Stand 65A). With the obvious Yorkshire and North Eastern connections, we expect it to be popular and sell out extremely quickly. The model, which has been made in limited quantity, is already in the UK and will be delivered to customers from early-April.

EXCLUSIVE LOYALTY OFFER: As a supporter and previous customer of our new manufacturing venture, you now have a five-day exclusivity period to secure this model before we open the order book to the visiting public at York. If there is any remaining availablity thereafter, we will publicise these via our website. New customers who purchase any of our first two releases (which are still available but selling fast) in the next few days will also be offered this priority opportunity. We do not want any of you to miss out so, even if you are planning to visit the York exhibition, please place your order now. You will be please to hear that we have maintained last year’s prices.

The SLW Class 24 has been extremely well received but has seen little mainstream coverage, in part due to our loyal customer base that means we have not needed to undertake aggressive advertising. The model, made to museum-quality standards, and available in OO, EM & P4 gauges has been publicly described as a true ‘game changer’ and ‘the best DCC sound locomotive ever’.  If you haven’t done so already then download the manual from: www.sulzertype2.com

DARLINGTON-BUILT PRODUCTION MACHINE 
in BR green with small yellow warning panels

The new issue represents a production series machine from the batch built at Darlington Works and primarily allocated to North Eastern Region depots. Satisfying numerous requests for a mid-1960s period locomotive, it has been decorated in standard BR green livery with the addition of small yellow front-end warning panels. It also features the highly distinctive Darlington trademark of polished grille surrounds, which makes for an incredibly attractive looking model.

To answer the requests for double-heading opportunities (which was commonplace with these Type 2s, especially in relation to the Consett workings) we are, in a new development, making this model available in two different running numbers:

D5098 was re-allocated to York shed (50A) in March 1963 in order to assist with further dieselisation in the area, in particular the closure of Scarborough depot to steam in May of that year. It became a common sight in and around Yorkshire for the remainder of the ‘Swinging ‘60s’ on every conceivable type of traffic from local pick-up freights to heavy passenger duties.  

D5107 worked off Gateshead (52A) during the 1960s. This machine later became one of the ten locomotives (D5102-D5111) selected for use in pairs on the famous Tyne Dock to Consett steelworks iron ore services. Replacing the 9Fs in 1966, the small fleet of Type 2s had their steam heating boilers and tanks removed and high level air pipes fitted in order to operate with the dedicated high capacity wagons. 

Tyne Dock detail pack: Ideal for converting D5107 (or a second renumbered loco) to Tyne Dock specification, this pack contains high and low level air-pipes plus ‘battery box only’ underframe section to replace boiler water tanks.

Shedplates: We are also offering free pairs of stainless steel photo-etched 50A (York) or 52A (Gateshead) shed plates and Darlington works plates to existing customers on request during this preferential order period. The steam style plates were affixed to the connecting front doors on the above locomotives in or around the period represented.

Photograph credit RE/SLW.

post-7968-0-00396500-1458585932_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I've received an email as well today and I've gone for D5098 this time. Would have preferred another blue one, but seeing the picture above, with the polished grilles, it looks really good.

I think it's now time for SLW to go mainstream and not remain in the small supplier section. We will have seen four locomotives released in the near future and others in the main section haven't released anything yet, but remain there. Don't know if others agree on this? Tony.

Does the conversion pack for the Tyne Dock Iron Ore Conversion include boiler room blanking panels and plates to blank the boiler exhaust (not steam exhaust) and boiler air inlet vent please?

P

I've received an email as well today and I've gone for D5098 this time. Would have preferred another blue one, but seeing the picture above, with the polished grilles, it looks really good.

I think it's now time for SLW to go mainstream and not remain in the small supplier section. We will have seen four locomotives released in the near future and others in the main section haven't released anything yet, but remain there. Don't know if others agree on this? Tony.

I would think it time to go mainstream when it stops being an exclusive club and anybody has a chance to buy them. I would like to buy one of these but it seems I either have to be an existing customer, or buy an extra one I don't want, or turn up personally at York, failing which they will likely be sold out.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

I would think it time to go mainstream when it stops being an exclusive club and anybody has a chance to buy them. I would like to buy one of these but it seems I either have to be an existing customer, or buy an extra one I don't want, or turn up personally at York, failing which they will likely be sold out.

Regards

No, you can buy either (or both) of the first two locos now and you can buy the either (or both) of the new ones in a few days time.

Just give them a call - I did as soon as I could and am so glad I did.

Kev.

Does the conversion pack for the Tyne Dock Iron Ore Conversion include boiler room blanking panels and plates to blank the boiler exhaust (not steam exhaust) and boiler air inlet vent please?

I have posed the question and this is the reply

SLW seems happy to answer any sensible questions if you e-mail them directly.

The new SLW releases D5098/D5107 include the boiler room bodyside grille blanking panels (painted green) in their accessory packs. This is because some locos seem to have got the grilles blanked before the water tanks were removed (at least D5106/10 in 1965). However, the opposite also seemed to have happened in several instances (water tanks removed, but grille blanks not fitted D5102/10 again!) The locos are offered in original form as a quick route to the Tyne Dockers. The boiler roof areas of the TD batch were remodelled (re-plated) and locos externally repainted both in green and blue (loosing the polished grille surrounds and gutter stripe – D5103 in 1966?) at various times, so that is an exercise in research and has not been represented. The boiler flue is remains in situ (D5111 at one stage). The distinctive cowl over the boiler air intake duct is a separate part on the roof of the model that can be eased off, making modification much less involved than it otherwise may have been. As is always the case, the only answer is to work from dated photographs of a specific locomotive… if you can find them! 

If anyone has detailed information, including pictures, on the TD modification dates, works overhauls, unclassified repairs, livery changes and detail differences during the often overlooked late-1960s/early-1970s period, we would love to hear from them (or chat at York).

Good news that there's another run coming...must signify it's doing well.  Now SLW let's  stop all this nonsense and get a cl. 25 done sharpish!

Meanwhile bit the bullet and bought a blue 'un

Em - I'm hoping for a ScR 24/1 first.................................... then the 25's........................

• Like 1

Em - I'm hoping for a ScR 24/1 first.................................... then the 25's........................

Right there with you on that! I now have three SLW 24's (one on pre-order) but none of them will be to ""officially" run on my main layout, but give me an highland machine and I will buy at least 3 that I can officially run :D

Saying that, the small yellow warning panel variant was bound to be the next one so i'm not disappointed... but would be if the 25 came next ;)

P

No, at least not in the one I got a couple of weeks ago, it contains the air tanks and pipework.

John

• RMweb Gold

Regards

It is not an exclusive club but it is a small outfit.....hence the word 'exclusive '. Yes,I am an existing customer and whatever gives you the impression that you have to buy two ?

Do yourself a big favour...Get on the phone in the morning You won't regret it.

If SLW do produce a 24(1) before Bachmann release theirs, I know where my money will be going.....

Bachmann have not even announced a ScR 24/1 with headlights or mod end doors so even if they do it may well be a few years before it would actually be produced and that's a big IF !

Edited by tractor_37260

Bachmann have not even announced a ScR 24/1 with headlights or mod end doors so even if they do it may well be a few years before it would actually be produced and that's a big IF !

I am also hoping beyond hope SOMEONE does a Scottish 24/1 (with headlights, cab token apperatus recesses and boiler blanking grilles with 5 horizontal slits) eventually.

Very impressed with the SLW 24/0 model I have to say.

Has everyone given up on Bachmann then?

Mike.

Yes indeed, I briefly owned both and the SLW one is streets ahead. Irrespective of Bachmann bringing out a headcode box one first, I will still wait for the SLW version. Anybody who has the body off an SLW class 24 and looked at the chassis will be reassured about there being of a 25/2 in the future....

Has everyone given up on Bachmann then?

Mike.

Not me, I'm in the process of fitting a couple with Penbits sprung chassis and modifying the bodies and tanks.  I'll run them double headed and keep them away from my SLW 24s...

John

whatever gives you the impression that you have to buy two

The post above announcing the offer!

New customers who purchase any of our first two releases (which are still available but selling fast) in the next few days will also be offered this priority opportunity.

Regards

An interesting and refreshing marketing approach to put existing customers first for a short period. Totally opposite to that used by large businesses who appear to ignore existing customers and base their offers around attracting new business.

• Like 1