Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Do you think SLW would want to be associated with a loco in such poor condition?

;)

Kev.

(Lovely lovely work.)

• RMweb Gold

Do you think SLW would want to be associated with a loco in such poor condition?

;)

Kev.

(Lovely lovely work.)

Probably not Kev haha but it looks far better covered in muck ;)

Thanks for the compliments

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the white pipes on the bogies, I haven't been brave enough to tackle weathering mine, yet. Yours looks good, Paul. You're much braver than me!

Thanks mate it took me a while though! I just wish I would of been brave enough to add a small yellow panel but I do like the all over green I must admit.

Thanks again

• Like 1

I popped down to the Chatham show today.

I'm not really that into model trains these days.  I have a couple of Noch Z Scale prefab layouts to play with but I barely touch them as my main hobby is arcade games (90's era original hardware and Japanese arcade cabinets).

Needless to say I still pop down to the show every other year for a browse and to pick up some electrical contact cleaner (there's some good stuff that a stand sells).

Anyway, i was mooching around and then I saw the stand for these guys and couldn't believe what I was seeing, the quality of the models, the amazing sound - particularly the way the sound has been programmed, just blew me away.

I have no 00 layout, in fact I sold all my stuff year before last for a stupid low amount to one of the dealers at the Chatham show, my own fault for being an idiot and let him rip me off.

With that said, I just want to buy one of these things, just to see it poodle up and down a piece of track.  Apparently they can make the sound work with analogue which was something I didn't know they could do (I got out of trains as a main hobby before all this DCC malarky).

It's a fair amount of money to plonk down for a glorified shelf queen, but GODDAM it's FINE.

• Like 3

the amazing sound - particularly the way the sound has been programmed, just blew me away.

Thanks very much for the compliment.

Anyone going to the Perth Show can also see these beautiful models displayed and demonstrated on my sound demo stand (number 50) amongst many others with similar sound systems.

Ask politely and you can have a drive - I'm not flogging anything so don't be shy.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

(24 081) on the vans, looks like it may ? have a revised main rad grille etch fitted - it appears to look finer than the standard fit one ?  

You spotted that too.

Having said that a finer boiler room etch must have been manufactured/trialed prior to production as one has always been on display in the "plate" since the Tarporley launch.

Back to page one. Fourth pic down.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105551-suttons-locomotive-works-class-24/page-1&do=findComment&comment=2109120

P

(24 081) on the vans, looks like it may ? have a revised main rad grille etch fitted - it appears to look finer than the standard fit one ?  

If you are going to Perth, I'll have some with me on my sound demo stand including the latest green version launched last week at Chatham so you can see what you think with the evidence before your eyes. (and 'factory fitted' sound in your ears).

Kind regards,

Paul.

SO is there an alternative version of the grille available?,  or do the new ones have the same version as the original batch of releases?.  The main grille is in my opinion the only (minor) fault on these locos, being able to improve that area would make them virtually faultless.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

I looked through this thread and the photos when the model came out. Then, a friend of mine purchased one as a bit of an indulgence. I have to say that I was really impressed. So impressed that i decided to buy one. Any company that will supply a RTR P4 loco is good in my books. 

Not exactly sure how I fit it into my mid 1920s theme GWR though!

Regards

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked through this thread and the photos when the model came out. Then, a friend of mine purchased one as a bit of an indulgence. I have to say that I was really impressed. So impressed that i decided to buy one. Any company that will supply a RTR P4 loco is good in my books. 

Not exactly sure how I fit it into my mid 1920s theme GWR though!

Regards

Craig W

It will be  alot easier than what it is to fit mine into my North American current day H0 layout! :D

• Like 2

SLight shame that 24063 was picked instead of one with the different tank arrangement, but good nonetheless.  Just needs the scratches down the side from the collision in 1977

She got her body scratch at Shotwick on the 9/4/79, she was withdrawn and her power unit was given up to 24061 at RTC leaving 24081 the last 24 in normal service

Just a heads up for everyone interested in the class 24's from Sutton's Locomotive Works, The Sulzer Type 2 website has been updated with Blog No 2, also a message from Phil who I spoke to today, both he and Jamie have been a bit poorly and are running a bit behind time with orders, so please be patient if your waiting for your orders, I'm sure you will receive them soon.