Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I've been browsing this thread with great interest as a native of the Highlands and a fan of all things railway based. I spoke to Phil at the Chatham show and he was understandably very coy about the possibility of releasing a Scottish 24/1, and we discussed suitable Scottish 24/0's that could be modelled using 24081 or 24063 as a base. I was aware of the Glasgow practice of centring the headcode discs on 24/0's after attention in works, and this was something that Phil also mentioned in our chat. On the Derby Sulzers site it mentions that 24113 (IS) underwent this procedure and it is photographed (see link below) at IS in October 1974. The caption describes it as having centred headcodes and welded doors but on close examination of the photo I'm not so sure this work has been done. The discs look off-set to me and the doors are clearly visible and not welded. Could the photo be dated incorrectly or is the caption incorrect?

http://www.derbysulzers.com/24113.html

I've been browsing this thread with great interest as a native of the Highlands and a fan of all things railway based. I spoke to Phil at the Chatham show and he was understandably very coy about the possibility of releasing a Scottish 24/1, and we discussed suitable Scottish 24/0's that could be modelled using 24081 or 24063 as a base. I was aware of the Glasgow practice of centring the headcode discs on 24/0's after attention in works, and this was something that Phil also mentioned in our chat. On the Derby Sulzers site it mentions that 24113 (IS) underwent this procedure and it is photographed (see link below) at IS in October 1974. The caption describes it as having centred headcodes and welded doors but on close examination of the photo I'm not so sure this work has been done. The discs look off-set to me and the doors are clearly visible and not welded. Could the photo be dated incorrectly or is the caption incorrect?

You have to read the caption carefully, (Although I admit it could have been worded better). In the photo it still has its gangway doors, but by 1975 the doors had been blanked off and the discs moved to a central position. See https://flic.kr/p/fCHhzW  and   https://flic.kr/p/9vzJwm

The change took place in Dec 74 or early 75.

Paul J.

Edited to correct silly spelling mistake

Edited by Swindon 123

Thanks for providing those photos and the dates the work was done Paul. At least now I can feasibly renumber an old Bachmann 24 to 113 without having to undertake any nose end surgery, as long as I keep faithful to the pre-1975 period. Whilst waiting patiently for future announcements from SLW concerning 24/1's, obviously.

Interesting comments re the 24's with centered discs and a possibility or not of a ScR 24/1. Worth noting the main circuitboard diagram on the SLW web site shows 2 function outputs for headlights......the board being generic......so hopefully a 24/1 has been considered.

From the above photos of 24 063 the revised rad grills have not as yet been fitted at production

• RMweb Premium

I would love a 24/1 to be added to the Sutton's fleet, also a 24 in two tone green, over to you Phil :-)

Just to clarify matters, SLW already produce the 24/1, all 24s from D5050 are 24/1s the difference between them and the 24/0 are fuel and water tank capacity. I suspect that most of the posts expressing a wish for a 24/1 mean one fitted with the roof mounted headcode box, which are part, but only part of the 24/1 sub class.

Just to clarify matters, SLW already produce the 24/1, all 24s from D5050 are 24/1s the difference between them and the 24/0 are fuel and water tank capacity. I suspect that most of the posts expressing a wish for a 24/1 mean one fitted with the roof mounted headcode box, which are part, but only part of the 24/1 sub class.

Hi Neil, yes, I meant a roof mounted headcode box 

• 2 weeks later...

Why has slw not got it's own area in these forums?  It's selling 6 different versions of the best rtr diesel on the market, yet far smaller firms get better coverage on this forum.

SLW deserve their own area.  Currently it is the only rtr diesel worth buying.

• Like 3

Why has slw not got it's own area in these forums?  It's selling 6 different versions of the best rtr diesel on the market, yet far smaller firms get better coverage on this forum.

Not biased then?

Does it matter?

Will the world be a better place if RMweb has an area labelled SLW?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Not biased then?

Does it matter?

Will the world be a better place if RMweb has an area labelled SLW?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Did I claim the world would be a better place?  No.  Would it be a better place without sarcastic smartarses, yes probably,

Biased? If making a judgement based on actually buying many models over 40 years and deciding which I believe is the best is biased, then yes I am biased.  Or maybe the word is discerning.  

• Like 7

I always found this unusual as well.  SLW produce the best UK RTR locomotive model on the market with great product support.  Rapido Trains have so far only produced one UK product but have there own sub section.  Murphy Models have produced more UK product than both the companies put together but don't seem to qualify either for a section.

Just the luck of the draw I guess. My workbench thread is updated every week, sometimes more, but it was 'unpinned' a while ago. Some of the pinned threads don't get updated for many months. Ultimately it makes no difference, if people want to read about a specific product/manufacturer, that's what the forum search function is there for.

To make a bit of a change from moaning about a dedicated forum section, mine arrived in the mail yesterday.

I am a P4 GWR modeller (mid 1920s) and had seen all the comments about the model but in truth it sort of passed me by. Then, at our group meeting, one of "us" showed the one they had purchased. I was seriously impressed with the detail and finish (bearing in mind I know squat about the real thing) and the sound was superb. The clincher for me was that for a small extra charge they would fit P4 wheels. That was the thing that prompted me. If I had to get the wheels and convert it to P4 I would not have bothered, so well done to SLW.

In summary, a very happy buyer who might possibly be tempted by to buy another early diesel if SLW do one with the P4 option.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that's the first time I've seen a pic of any diesel with corridor connections in use.

A rarity indeed. Apart from the Metrovick Co-Bo D 57XX series ,the only pairings I ever remember with early production BR diesels were the first series of the hydraulics Class 22 D 63XX which initially operated in pairs as an insurance policy against failures (frequent)

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its a great model!

We want to do D5002 late 60s as an LMR loco - but when did that roof top silencer go? Difficult to find photo evidence of roof detail...

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Its a great model!

We want to do D5002 late 60s as an LMR loco - but when did that roof top silencer go? Difficult to find photo evidence of roof detail...

Phil

Hi Phil

This is the best I have found so far, the only one in your time period showing the left side. Not that clear but it looks like the old exhaust as there appears to be something before the boiler water filler hatch, the new exhaust would be behind it. Derby Sulzer site states that D5002 had major repairs at Glasgow works in 1971.

Handy if you remember to put the link in.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive

Had seen that one - its about the most convincing I have seen that it still had a silencer whilst wearing GFYE

But see this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6977-sr-allocated-class-24s/ and try to work out what exhaust arrangement the locos have it aint easy!

Is that why is gets ignored I wonder?

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Clive

Had seen that one - its about the most convincing I have seen that it still had a silencer whilst wearing GFYE

But see this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6977-sr-allocated-class-24s/ and try to work out what exhaust arrangement the locos have it aint easy!

Is that why is gets ignored I wonder?

Cheers

Phil

Hello Phil,

I've had a look at my collection of photos of D5002 found on the web, and shots of the exhaust side are rare, good shots even rarer. i'm finding it difficult to tie down which loco had what exhaust for my collection of SLW 24's, and a few probables have come and gone due to lack of clear exhaust information. One thing to note about 5002 was it was involved in an accident at Stechford in 1967 when it wrote off a class 304 EMU, killing the driver and 8 passengers. I've found no photos of it at the accident that would indicate the exhaust it had at that time. Best of luck with your quest.

Paul J.

It aint easy is it?

It can'rt be easy for the manufacturer, with all us twisty ba*tards looking on.  :smile_mini2:

But that's the way it should be.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane