Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

That's probably the best one yet so I reckon that's no silencer by 1972 based on the Eastfield photo

And certainly has the silencer in the 1960s Cheadle Heath shot so just need to narrow it down a bit...

The silencer clearly stands proud of the roof - and that part of the roof looks flush here http://www.derbysulzers.com/5002crewe69.jpg

So looking like the silencer will have to go - has anyone attempted that yet on the model? We have moved the exhaust port on Bacchy 25s but suspect the silencer will be a more accurate reproduction on this model

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Cheers

So looking like the silencer will have to go - has anyone attempted that yet on the model? We have moved the exhaust port on Bacchy 25s but suspect the silencer will be a more accurate reproduction on this model

Phil

I have Phil, in forward dating D5000 from green to blue. See post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105551-suttons-locomotive-works-class-24/?p=2331134

It was quite easy as a lot of the bits on the roof just plug into holes which you then fill in. I filled them in using plastic rod of various sizes and then smoothed down, adding filler as required. The ribbing was represented with evergreen plastic strip. It sounds as though D5002 was modified as per D5000 when it lost its silencer. A lot of early conversions seemed to get a flush roof around the new exhaust port, whereas later jobs got the additional raised piece in varying shapes and sizes. Some locos changed between the two and there seemed to be no pattern to its application. Yet again photos of a particular loco are the only way of being sure.

Paul J.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking at the SulzerType2 website today I noted that two models are listed as "Limited Stock" and one as "Sold Out". Hopefully an indicator that they are selling well and we can expect more from SLW.

Roy

Yes it would be nice to get some variations in boiler and fuel tank sizes. Full size tanks, as on the models D5000 & D5016, but with the later body style, as found on the batch D5030-5049, would be nice. A lot of these kept the full size tanks until scrapped. I've been messing around swapping bits to make a model of the oddball 5025. A couple of photos of the finished model running on Hornsey Broadway below.

post-7146-0-96982700-1475624576_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-60025400-1475624584_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 14

In  moment of weakness/madness, I phoned up and ordered a second class 24 to go with my D5000; this time, D5016, also with sound. St least the exchange rate is favourable at the moment

I also asked for two sets of the extra SR lamp irons, although after digging through all the photos i can find, it seems that D5000 kaept them right to the end, while D5016 was never fitted with them (it only spent one month or so allocated to the SR).

With that in mind, I am thinking of renumbering it to possibly D5017, which had the extra grilles and Athermos axleboxes, and spent considerably longer on the Southern. However, I don't know whether this locomotive had the extra lampirons fitted at the one or both ends. Can anyone assist me with that information, please? 

Of those with Athermos axleboxes, D5010 to D5012 are out because they lacked the extra grilles, while D5018 is out because it had the extra grille on one side but not the other. D5015 and D5019 were never allocated to the Southern. That leaves possible candidates for this model's combination of features as D5013, D5014, D5016 and D5017. All four of these seem to have been a bit camera shy, whereas some other members of the class, like D5004 seem to appear in every second or third photo I find!! :D

In  moment of weakness/madness, I phoned up and ordered a second class 24 to go with my D5000; this time, D5016, also with sound. St least the exchange rate is favourable at the moment

I also asked for two sets of the extra SR lamp irons, although after digging through all the photos i can find, it seems that D5000 kaept them right to the end, while D5016 was never fitted with them (it only spent one month or so allocated to the SR).

With that in mind, I am thinking of renumbering it to possibly D5017, which had the extra grilles and Athermos axleboxes, and spent considerably longer on the Southern. However, I don't know whether this locomotive had the extra lampirons fitted at the one or both ends. Can anyone assist me with that information, please? 

Of those with Athermos axleboxes, D5010 to D5012 are out because they lacked the extra grilles, while D5018 is out because it had the extra grille on one side but not the other. D5015 and D5019 were never allocated to the Southern. That leaves possible candidates for this model's combination of features as D5013, D5014, D5016 and D5017. All four of these seem to have been a bit camera shy, whereas some other members of the class, like D5004 seem to appear in every second or third photo I find!! :D

It does appear that D5017 had the extra SR lamp Irons. There is a photo on the Derby Sulzers website of it waiting to be scrapped showing them on No1 cab, and I have a photo of  5017 in blue in 1971, from an unknown source, showing them on No2 cab as well. I've just found a shot on Robert Carroll's Flickr pages showing D5017 with them on No2 cab here,  https://flic.kr/p/4kjYLH , so I would say yes to your query. Of the four you were considering, D5017 was the only one i could find with the extra lamp irons, so good choice.

Paul J.

Many thanks for that information, Paul. There was one pic of D5017 on SLW's blog page, but on that one the front is obscured by the coaches.

John Isherwood (cctrans) has PM'd me and is also sending some photos (thanks also, John), so between you and him, I should be able to make that final decision.

The renumbering itself should be pretty straightforward.

D5016 seems to be a slightly odd choice for SLW to make, seeing as it was only on the Southern Region for around a month, although that also means it is a more versatile choice for modellers of the other regions involved; maybe that was what they had in mind.

Whichever way, the class 24s are superb models and the sound projects are also very good. 

While I look forward to seeing what their almost certain class 25 development of this looks like, I won't be in the market for one of those as 25s were only occasional visitors to the SR. Notwithstanding that, I have just about completed detailing a Hornby 25 body and mounting it on a Bachmann 25 chassis, numbered as one I have photographic proof of having visited SR metals. But that's digressing. Keep up the excellent models, SLW, and also the excellent, and cheerful, customer service. :)

What methods of coupling has everyone tried on the 24 and what works best? I tried the supplied standard couplings with the right angled adapter just to see how that might work but found they tended to sag. (One of my approaches with other locos has been to make a more discreet and wider loop out of brass wire and glue that into the pocket where there has not been any easy fix to the chassis.) Advice appreciated.

PS Everyone happy with the wonky wiper at one end?

What methods of coupling has everyone tried on the 24 and what works best? I tried the supplied standard couplings with the right angled adapter just to see how that might work but found they tended to sag. (One of my approaches with other locos has been to make a more discreet and wider loop out of brass wire and glue that into the pocket where there has not been any easy fix to the chassis.) Advice appreciated.

PS Everyone happy with the wonky wiper at one end?

I have used the 3 link it comes fitted with on my stock, no issues so far.

This model is an all time great that I'm sure will be on the roadmap of model railway history. I'm praying based on the success of this that there is a SLW 33 one day. I'd buy a fleet :)

Or even a Peak ( wishful thinking big time lol )

SLW  Facebook page update,advising low stocks of 24081 & D5000...& i mean low

This is good news, the more these models sell the sooner Phil will release more of these outstanding models, I'm expecting one or two more 24's to be released before the class 25 though.

My second class 24, D5016, arrived today. There was very slight transit damage - one of the fuel tank assembly ciips was damaged, allowing the tank assembly to drop when I removed the loco from its packaging. Other than that, it was a little spluttery at first when I put it on the rolling road with my NCE Power Cab to run it in. Turning the sound volume down assisted the power draw and smoothed things out, until the wheels and pickups settled down and bedded in a bit.

Having run it for a couple of hours in both directions, it seems to have settled down now and is just as good as the original D5000 I bought. I will try them in a consist soon; sound-wise, this could be very interesting, and probably very loud, even with both volumes reduced somewhat!

• Like 1

This is good news, the more these models sell the sooner Phil will release more of these outstanding models, I'm expecting one or two more 24's to be released before the class 25 though.

I sure hope so! I'd hate for a headcode box 24 to be leapfrogged in favour of getting a class 25 out there! I really want to get a small fleet of highland variants together :)

• Like 1

I sure hope so! I'd hate for a headcode box 24 to be leapfrogged in favour of getting a class 25 out there! I really want to get a small fleet of highland variants together :)

Agreed, a 1970ish Inverness headcode boxed 24/1 with the specific detail for those locos might just do it for me! Especially as Bachmann don't appear to be catering for them with their model (if it ever appears).

Don't wait too long if you fancy any of the current ones ....they seem to be rightly popular!

Phil

D5098 has sold out, with 24 081 and D5000 very low in stock this means half the SLW models are good as sold out, I'm  hoping to hear of Phil's next project in the not to distant future.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With D5098 selling out quickly does that suggest that a production series GSYP Derby built loco would be a very popular option?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock