Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Out on the GWML, TfL's Burnham Station (west of Slough if you didn't know) new entrance and ticket hall has opened.

burnham_station_jan_22_343221.png

burnham_station_jan_22_343222.png

burnham_station_jan_22_343224.png

https://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/new-station-entrance-opens-at-burnham-ahead-of-elizabeth-line-services-commencing-this-year

A huge and welcome transformation for this station, which, let's face it, had become something of a run down dump prior to Crossrail's arrival. I'm impressed to see that it's now fully staffed and has a gateline - which should help to keep some of the undesirables out (I've worked there so you'll have trust me on that!). All in all, well done MTR & Crossrail. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

………Incidentally it might be the angle of the photos but there doesn't seem to be much indication that it is also served by GWR trains.

GWR wise, Burnham only gets 2 early Up trains in the morning (0527 & 0557) and 2 Down trains calling in the late afternoon/early evening  (1724 & 1825).

TfL Rail, soon to be the Elizabeth Line, provide the regular main services throughout the whole day.

The station is now operated by TfL.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it really getting close to opening fully?

It's been a long drag.

I wonder whether the Beeb will have an "opening" series to compliment the construction programmes they did a few years back?

At the time the opening "wasn't far off". How wrong that turned out to be.:(

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I can remember the days when Burnham was fully staffed - under a several times previous adminstration.   Incidentally it might be the angle of the photos but there doesn't seem to be much indication that it is also served by GWR trains.

It was indeed staffed by FGW / GWR, but certainly not to the extent it is now. The ticket office was previously part of the main building located up on the platform, and the station was ungated. Having been posted to Burnham station several times under the previous administration, I can tell you each visit was not a fun experience - Burnham effectively was what Reading West is to Reading, an ungated unbarriered station which often bought fare evasion and anti-social behaviour sometimes in equal measures. Thankfully, with Crossrail now fitting ticket barriers, ticket offices and actually staffing these stations, will bring down instances of the aforementioned issues considerably.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

GWR wise, Burnham only gets 2 early Up trains in the morning (0527 & 0557) and 2 Down trains calling in the late afternoon/early evening  (1724 & 1825).

TfL Rail, soon to be the Elizabeth Line, provide the regular main services throughout the whole day.

The station is now operated by TfL.

They did have more GW trains under the recent Covid emergency timetables,  And thank you, I do know it is operated by TFL but there appears to be nothing to show that it is also served by some GWR trains as, so I understood was meant to be the case at stations served by more than one operator ?

36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

They did have more GW trains under the recent Covid emergency timetables,  And thank you, I do know it is operated by TFL but there appears to be nothing to show that it is also served by some GWR trains as, so I understood was meant to be the case at stations served by more than one operator ?

With due respect Mike, Burnham is hardly “served” by GWR, with no Up trains after 0557 am for the rest of the day and no Down trains calling all day, until 2 odd stoppers call late in the afternoon.

My understanding is that even those anomalous services will cease to call at Burnham when the full EL service starts.

I’m not surprised there’s no mention of GWR, if they won’t be serving the station in future.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rush hour on the Elizabeth Line.

Ongoing testing with large numbers of volunteers.

trial_operations_19_feb_evac_to_farringd

The "Ian Visits" website has witnessed some of the Trial Operations activities.

There are some photos of the evacuation exercises, underground, in the following link.....

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/photos-from-crossrails-trial-train-evacuations-52513/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

Geoff Marshall rides the Elizabeth Line......and gets completely, over excited.

(Rail journalists taken for a ride on the new line. One of a number of press visits, prior to the line opening in a few weeks time).

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@Ron Ron Ron do you want to hide the other two :)

I will.

I only submitted the post once and there was a long pause before multiple posts appeared.

I had the same with other posts this morning.

The forum is acting very erratically at the moment.

Stalling and long delays when selecting pages or sections.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Geoff is a bit of an excited puppy at times, I've noticed Tim Dunn is similar in some of his recent videos - who is copying who or perhaps they are just adopting a YouTube style.

Still, the more of this there is the surer we are that opening is around the corner, now if I could just find a business reason to go to London....

• Like 3

On 08/03/2022 at 18:07, Ron Ron Ron said:

Rush hour on the Elizabeth Line.

Ongoing testing with large numbers of volunteers.

trial_operations_19_feb_evac_to_farringd

The "Ian Visits" website has witnessed some of the Trial Operations activities.

There are some photos of the evacuation exercises, underground, in the following link.....

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/photos-from-crossrails-trial-train-evacuations-52513/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

That's completely and utterly unrealistic - they're all talking to each other! 

I'll get me coat :huh:

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, DY444 said:

Maybe that’s one of the unusual situations the staff are having to practice dealing with?

” In the unlikely event of……..”

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Maybe that’s one of the unusual situations the staff are having to practice dealing with?

” In the unlikely event of……..”

A bit of a day out for many of them no doubt. I'm told by someone who was involved that they were 100% TfL employees although obviously a goodly percentage of them would have no operational type of involvement in their everyday work. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

A bit of a day out for many of them no doubt. I'm told by someone who was involved that they were 100% TfL employees although obviously a goodly percentage of them would have no operational type of involvement in their everyday work. 

Geof Marshall and Ian of 'Ian Visits' are not TfL employees so although its true the bulk of those pretending to be 'the public' will work for TfL there are plenty of 3rd parties sprinkled among them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, DY444 said:

I'll get me coat :huh:

There was some chap on radio the other day when asked whether he thought people on the underground are rude by not talking to each other.

His reply. Why would I want to speak to anyone? As soon as I get on I put my 'pods in and ignore everyone else.:(

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Geof Marshall and Ian of 'Ian Visits' are not TfL employees so although its true the bulk of those pretending to be 'the public' will work for TfL there are plenty of 3rd parties sprinkled among them.

Correct; TfL employees were invited to apply for the tickets, but they could bring guests who were not (obvious, considering most will be family members or friends).  Geoff Marshall, Tim Dunn et al are personal friends with some people, not necessarily senior ones, in the company.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Now if that had been 100 miles from London everyone would have chatted, and you would be considered rude if you did not.

Here in mid Wales you say hullo to just about anyone you pass in the street. But I joke that if you had done that in Harpenden where I lived for 25 years they would have reported you to the police.

More seriously, are volunteers obtained in this way really typical? I would have thought that too many of them would have sufficient interest in railways to be better informed than the typical off-the-street individual. And how many were children or were disabled, did not speak English etc?

Jonathan 

Edited by corneliuslundie