The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

inglenookfan

I think part of the appeal of the original is it being set in the past and in another galaxy simultaneously playing on the suggestion that there are other civilisations out there that we've not heard of and leaving the question in your mind as to what happened to wipe out (I assume) this ancient, advanced civilisation whose knowledge about space travel is greater than ours

I'd never thought of Star Wars like that. I always took it as being set in the future, and the story was being told from even further in the future. It's interesting how this is open to our interpretation and I think it's yet another example of how it all works on different levels for every person who sees it and we all take different meaning from the story. The best interpretation I heard described Han Solo as a dodgy pirate! I also liked the one that compared it to a wild west movie.

Watching tv tonight I've been on the laptop at the same time and knocked this up. I think that scene with the TIE fighters against the sunset is one of my favourites in the entire film, reminiscent of scenes like in Black Hawk Down where the helicopters are flying low against the sunset, Jimi Hendrix blaring out loud. It's just a shame it wasn't more than a quick one or two second flash of the TIE fighters.

I'm not mega happy with it, but for a couple of hours in front of the TV tonight, it's not too bad. I need to practice on my cloud work, in particular.

post-6899-0-86639700-1451688589_thumb.jpg

And yes, that's the 'A long time ago...' font, too

Jo

• RMweb Premium

Go to the cinema and see them as intended...

Sadly I only ever saw Episode 4 in its original format

My local Odeon has shown all films prior to each release (which for Episodes 1, 2, and 3 made it a little disjointed)

I convinced my local Cineworld to also do this, putting them in the small 40 seater, and they sold out within 20 minutes!

I am still watching Episode 7 in the cinema each day

As much as I like the Real 3D version, I also watch the 2D version as I am not likely to purchase a replacment Blu Ray Home Cinema system and 3D TV, just to watch one film...

The SuperScreen with Dolby Atmos is incredible

The DBOX is also very good, but sadly the screen presentation is not as good; personally it needs a smaller screen

I'm a big fan of home cinema, it does not replace the real cinematic experience of going to the movies and I still go to the movies but nowadays big HD screens and good sound systems can really deliver a very high quality, immersive film experience. And if you are interested in older films or the sort of films unlikely to be shown in multiplex cinemas it is probably the best you'll get.

• RMweb Premium

I never knew there was a missing part of the opening scene!!?? The later Editions of "episode IV" have included the cut scenes from later in the film (Han meeting Jabba, & Luke meeting Biggs & Red Leader), but that's the first I've heard of that.

A book I had at the time about the film had a still shot of the Han/Jabba scene; Jabba being a rather short & fat human. Clearly the character of Jabba the Hut hadn't been fuĺly thought out in 1977, & they had to "bodge" the scene a bit when they released it later with "the" Jabba added with CGI. For one thing Han walks behind him - "the" Jabba now had a tail so they had to make it look as though Han trod on it to get around him. As the human actor had been short (as noted above) Han was looking down to talk to him, so the Jabba in IV looks somewhat smaller than he appears in Episode VI, Return of the Jedi.

As a side note about Han Solo, & hopefully not a Spoiler, without saying too much, I think what happens to him near the end of Episode VII is just really, really unfair, especially as he has been voted the Coolest SciFi character of all time (Empire magazine IIRC)

This scene existed, I'm sure, and it also appears in the book of the movie which came out a few months after the movie had been released.  I think that the cut was done VERY early in the life of the film, as I have seen it about two dozen times now, and the second time I saw it, I wondered why the scene had been cut, but they also cut Luke meeting Biggs, which was later reinstated.

I'm a big fan of home cinema, it does not replace the real cinematic experience of going to the movies and I still go to the movies but nowadays big HD screens and good sound systems can really deliver a very high quality, immersive film experience. And if you are interested in older films or the sort of films unlikely to be shown in multiplex cinemas it is probably the best you'll get.

Agreed, one of the reasons I moved house, and now have a cinema room (equipment as what was available in 2004)

At the time the setup I had was very close to the cinema experience

3D TV was in its infancy at the time, and would have required a BluRay player, and replacing all my DVDs (as was at the time)

The DVD and TV upscaling works very well

Sadly the DVD player failed two years ago so went back to an older one, but still has some TV upscaling

However, technology has moved on and most (but not all) BluRay can upscale to 3D

I already had budgeted for replacing the DVD player, so it may be time to replace the entire system...

Sadly I am not impressed by the current range of 3D TV

We lucky few

For those here young enough to not have been at the original in '77 and, interested in how amazing it was for us then, there is a really good documentary that was made a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away when thinking about Tandy computers, floppy disks, scientific calculators etc! ) about the making of episode iv. All done with models, some string and very simple pyrotechnics. Cant remember who made it or what it was called but it is a brilliant look at a world pre wearable mobile app.

Inglenookfan

It's been pointed out to me today, and I'm kicking myself for not spotting it in the trailers (have done now I've gone back and looked, not seen the film itself yet) that several scenes were shot in the Lake District, TIE Fighters and X-Wings flying over Derwent Water. That's a part of the world I'm very familiar with (my grandparents lived ten minutes' walk from there) so I really should've seen it. Perhaps we can blame the Dark Side for the weather there now...

edit: Some on Thirlmere too.

Well spotted.

There is a short film on YouTube outlining the Lake District locations used.

I thought the CGI was exceptional.

• RMweb Gold

Just reading about the opening in China and scrolling down the pics of the Stormtroopers on the Great Wall . . . and amongst all the fans with their helmets and lightsabers is a guy who's brought his cat! Penultimate pic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34603946/star-wars-the-force-awakens---stormtroopers-line-the-great-wall-of-china

• 1 month later...

Thought I would add to this thread rather than start a new one (moderators or owners feel free to start a new Topic "Star Wars Episode VIII if appropriate)

Release date for DVD and Blu Ray now announced

https://www.facebook.com/1015647751825363/photos/a.1016793531710785.1073741830.1015647751825363/1030019407054864/?type=3

Monday 18 April 2016

There will initially be two covers on the Blu Ray, so choose your side -

Light Side

Dark Side

As for myself, I fly out tomorrow to Croatia with the costumes for Episode VIII

As a result I have now added a Spoilers section to my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/KY10REY/posts/1095718090524898 (link edited)

I have uploaded several videos from rehearsals, which go all the way back to August 2015

I have been under a confidentiality agreement since August 2015, but finally signed my contract last weekend

I'm thinking re-make of episode V?

Seriously though, I saw episode VII the day it came out (in 3D).  The other day I watched it again but on a plane.....it seemed shorter than I remembered but just as much of a remake of episode IV......well made and good entertainment nevertheless!

I'm thinking re-make of episode V?

I think I discussed this earlier in thread, but if not he is a quick summary

When Disney bought the rights they decided to play it safe and use the original outline of Episode 7, 8, and 9 but vastly modified them

The main issue that concerned them was the large gap between the original films, the prequels, and audience types

The film has outperformed (in worldwide box office) what they expected (by about three times)

The feedback group also advised they would prefer more content on the existing characters, rather than adding new characters, as a result this has been reduced from the planned 15 to just 9

Finally, I can assure you that Episode VIII will be a great departure from what was effectively a reboot of Episode IV, and that is what JJ Abrams is renowned for

A recent discussion was whether the film should keep to a Certificate 12 or retain the planned content which would most certainly mean a Certificate 15

There was a similar issue with Episode II (initally Certificate 12 but was edited to achieve PG), but there was no escaping it for Episode III

I think once filming in Iceland has been completed it should be clearer

• RMweb Gold

Well episode 7 was a humdinger of a tie up to get the new cast in so I'm looking forward to the rest :)

Didn't tax my brain but was a good simple story well acted bring on the new story ;)

I know 1,2 and 3 exist but I like to count them as a quick intro, once was enough.

I know 1,2 and 3 exist but I like to count them as a quick intro, once was enough.

I have seen Episodes 4, 5, and 6 numerous times in the cinema

However, I can count how many times I have seen Episodes 1, 2, and 3 on both hands

Equally, after watching Episode 3 a second time in the cinema, as the credits rolled, "Oh well that's it all over now"

Once a month I can quite easily watch all six films in order

I have now seen Episode 7 53 times, and last weekend manage to complete all the available formats

Sadly this weekend is the last for many of my local cinemas, so I have been advising people if they do not see it this weekend they will still be able to see it in the IMAX for a few weeks yet

I know there are discussions for additional licences for the Easter week

I thought the story behind Episode VII was rather sad, actually, & made out that the 'original' Rebellion Alliance against the Empire had all been rather futile, as here the original characters were , "30 years on", still hiding in secret bunkers & trying to destroy an even bigger Death Star and a worse Empire. How Luke Skywalker could become a forgotten myth still in his own lifetime I can't fathom either.

Ep.VII may have the look & feel of the originals IV - VI, but the plot seems as remote from them as were Episodes I - III... :(

• RMweb Gold

You have to remember how big the Empire was and they just cut off the head, with such a large military organisation it's relatively easy for others to pick up some of the critical pieces and carry on. There are comparisons with the Soviet block when Communisim collapsed, weaker for a time but then a new figurehead pulls together a different power base and makes it a different kind of 'opponent'. Look at recent talk of a new Cold War and flexing the military muscles in Crimea and Syria. I'm not suggesting a direct comparison of Russia with the First Order in their aims ;) but film has often used these sort of comparisons of real world 'bogeymen' countries. I'd call it more realistic which is why the return to the grittier world of the original films worked for me. It may not be happily ever after but it's more believable.

The Nazis tried to carry on without Hitler and it was only overwhelming military domination that totally defeated them, spread it over a Galaxy and it's going to take a huge military force to subdue all the remnants of the Empire ;)

A recent discussion was whether the film should keep to a Certificate 12 or retain the planned content which would most certainly mean a Certificate 15

I have to admit I hope they manage to keep it to a 12A certificate as I want to watch it with my kids. My youngest is only 7 and although he was OK with both ROTS and TFA, I think any more explicit violence would have been too much for him.

I can see the need for 12A/PG13 certificates (depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on) to realistically depict the fighting. Although everyone remembers the OT as children's films, I doubt they would get U ratings if resubmitted today. I don't see the need to go any higher than that though. These are still fantasy films and while it is good to show that violence has consequences, I don't think we need to go any further than the current episodes in this direction.

• RMweb Premium

A few thoughts on George Lucas's original ideas about Star Wars (not Episode IV as it very quickly became):

Shortly after American Graffiti, I believe Lucas's original intention was to produce a version of Flash Gordon, but he couldn't get the rights from Dino De Laurentis. He went on to create the Star Wars story himself with self study of the likes of Joseph Campbell's book 'Hero with a Thousand Faces' and Kurosawa's film 'Hidden Fortress' in his mind, amongst many other influences.

His original ideas were for a single film, with a style to suit a child-aged audience, much like the original Flash Gordon / Buck Rogers serials. The shape of the story changed a fair bit over the three years and a number of character names from those very different treatments eventually came back (like Mace Windu in Episodes II and III, though in a totally different character incarnation).

In order to have a sense of a story already underway (a bit like an episode of a serial), he created a fair amount of back story (and made sure he could move forward into sequels as well), however his original intentions were not to produce the back story material as movies (the idea that he might do them came about after Empire Strikes Back, I think, and eventually only got made many years after Return of the Jedi because though he knew he could do them, he was just too tired of the work to make the original trilogy to carry on with anything at that point, as well as wanting technology to be able to do more than was possible at the time of the original trilogy).

The evolution of the script went on over three years (1973 to 1976) and was still being shaped as filming started. If you read the novelization from the time, it was based on a different script to what was finally filmed, and there are a few scenes and lines that were cut or changed during filming (not least being the Toshi station scene at the beginning, and the change to Red Squadron from Blue Squadron for the X Wings at the end).

The beginning text crawl was added after a suggestion from Brian DePalma at a preview Lucas did with friends, it wasn't part of the original story development. Also, John Williams doing the music was a suggestion from Steven Spielberg.

The 'Episode IV' addition was done after the small scale initial release in the USA began to grow, and Lucas knew there was likely to be a chance to produce a sequel the release of Empire Strikes Back. I don't believe he originally discussed any sequels with Alan Ladd Jr at 20th Century Fox at the time. He had to use a fair bit of his own money to keep Empire going, and he was not happy with it because he had to cede too much control to director Irwin Kerschner (who was too 'powerful' for Lucas to override). Empire remains (as far as I can ascertain) Lucas's least favourite of the films, both because of his experiences making it, and his feeling that it lost the sense of young boy's own adventure that he wanted to keep in all the films. Note that for Jedi he went to the relatively unknown Richard Marquand to direct, as Marquand was less inclined to push back against Lucas.

Hope this adds a little light to the original.

I enjoyed Episode VII, but felt it leaned too heavily on the originals for story. It only needed to reference them in passing, not derive itself from them. I'm hoping VIII and IX will move on and find their own way forward but still keeping some of Lucas's story ideas intact (which I believe Snoke might do, if some theories to who he is come to happen).

As for the Original Trilogy, I would like to see them get a high definition disc release in their original cuts, and I did hear that Disney had mooted the idea, but for some reason something is stopping them (either contractual with the sale to them by Lucas, or something happened to the original material which means they can't be properly done).

Edit 10/04/2016: I had been under the impression that the 'Episode IV: A New Hope' title was added during the initial release of 'Star Wars', once it had become clear it was getting good audiences. However, on reading more articles regarding original release restorations, it appears the episode number and subtitle didn't get added until after the release of 'The Empire Strikes Back'. So much for my memory then.

My youngest is only 7 and although he was OK with both ROTS and TFA, I think any more explicit violence would have been too much for him

Apologies, had to go back and check, so edited my post (but the principle is the same)

All previous films were U/PG, except Episode 3 which was 12

As for the Original Trilogy, I would like to see them get a high definition disc release in their original cuts, and I did hear that Disney had mooted the idea, but for some reason something is stopping them (either contractual with the sale to them by Lucas, or something happened to the original material which means they can't be properly done).

ILM had already started some preparatory work on some updates on Episodes 1 to 6

Lucasfilm was then sold to Disney and the entire project was stalled so that ILM could concentrate on the new films

There are no plans to revive this project, as the current workload takes them to 2020, and there are already outline plans for Star Wars films through to 2028 now

Due to this increase in workload ILM has opened a new facility in the UK, which makes it easier for the UK and Europe filming locations

This issue was recognised during the filming of Episode 7, and hence why the production time could have been reduced

Instead the budget has now been increased, so expect some ground breaking technology and techniques in Episode 8 (and Episode 9 providing Episode 8 meets its current projected audience forecast)

Interestingly, there's a piece on today's Guardian website about this: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/05/star-wars-fans-restoration

Back to the future :scratchhead:

Mal

I fly out tomorrow to Croatia with the costumes for Episode VIII

As a result I have now added a Spoilers section to my facebook page

The appropriate actors are now in Croatia, and I am now back in the UK

Sadly one of the sets has been damaged and rather than repair it, it is going to be replaced

As a result one additional week has been added

Work has now started in Ireland, 10 weeks and filming starts there

https://www.facebook.com/KY10REY/posts/1095718090524898

• RMweb Premium

ILM had already started some preparatory work on some updates on Episodes 1 to 6

Lucasfilm was then sold to Disney and the entire project was stalled so that ILM could concentrate on the new films

There are no plans to revive this project, as the current workload takes them to 2020, and there are already outline plans for Star Wars films through to 2028 now

Due to this increase in workload ILM has opened a new facility in the UK, which makes it easier for the UK and Europe filming locations

This issue was recognised during the filming of Episode 7, and hence why the production time could have been reduced

Instead the budget has now been increased, so expect some ground breaking technology and techniques in Episode 8 (and Episode 9 providing Episode 8 meets its current projected audience forecast)

I wouldn't have thought that any ILM work would be needed to restore and release the original trilogy in their original theatrical cuts? Restoration isn't one of ILM's specialisms... :scratchhead:

I wouldn't have thought that any ILM work would be needed to restore and release the original trilogy in their original theatrical cuts? Restoration isn't one of ILM's specialisms...

They completed this for the Special Editions, albeit through a third party

Archived