The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

... have you considered a wintry setting with vestiges of snow still just lurking around the north sides of walls, coal heaps etc. and a brazier under the water tank?

Brrrrr

dh

Yes, it will be set in June...

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...

Now then Paul.

What a great subject to model, I have often walked around that area and Rosedale is one of the places me and the wife take her relatives when they visit, I always thought that the railway was worth modelling and if I hadn't done all the research and got the stuff for my layout, well, who knows?

It's good to see all the history of the line too as I was always fascinated by it, so thanks for bringing it to life, so to speak. I love those two engines in your first post too, they have a unique beauty all of their own and I look forward to other developments, great period to choose as well.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tonight I've built a mock up of the layout to get a better feel of how it should look, this is especially important with the geography overload the area has, this certainly isn't going to be a flat earth layout! 

This is the slope at the front of the layout, round about 1 in 1.

post-7104-0-01345400-1474583995_thumb.jpg

The land in front of the coal depots is a bit of a puzzle, it's quite a bit higher than the cottage and yard, was there access from the road at the side or has a lot of land been dug out to build the sheds?

post-7104-0-96718100-1474584061_thumb.jpg

Anyway, the mock up is 24" long by 5" wide (2" to the (model) foot) and a 1" thick piece of polystyrene stuck to a piece of card, the details was then 'pushed through' with a pencil and drawn on dot to dot style, it was then carved to shape, painted and basic wooden buildings added.

post-7104-0-09364600-1474583947_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-64668500-1474583953_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-25999700-1474583959_thumb.jpg

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul

Are you planning to rebuild the WHOLE of the NER in model form? I really like your work and have learned so much from it, but this thread is particularly interesting. I was up there at this very location at the end of last winter- it's a lovely place to be on a cold, windy day. Sorry- no photos or any info of any use to you I'm afraid.

I suppose you'll have seen the picture of a moderate sized tender loco (J21?) being winched down the incline- middle axle and side rods removed etc.

• RMweb Gold

They look cute Paul.......will these replace the mythical etches someone Pickering way once did for a Rosedale layout, or are they a different hopper altogether?

Same wagon, the only ones those kits were on the layout when I saw it as a kid.

Are you planning to rebuild the WHOLE of the NER in model form?

Yep...

I suppose you'll have seen the picture of a moderate sized tender loco (J21?) being winched down the incline- middle axle and side rods removed etc.

It's a J24, it was the only way to get it over the kip safely. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The front of the second block is now cut out and lintels and sills fitted, so much quicker than the first one! Each block is slightly longer than the sheet of plastic, luckily the joint has ended up through the right hand window, not sure how I'm going to disguise the joints between blocks, especially on the removeable one that crosses the board joint.

post-7104-0-31747300-1477344296_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Had you cut the end of the longer sheet down the vertical mortar lines and around the stones, then cut and joined the shorter piece to match, you could have disguised the join as a subsidence crack.

• RMweb Gold

Had you cut the end of the longer sheet down the vertical mortar lines and around the stones, then cut and joined the shorter piece to match, you could have disguised the join as a subsidence crack.

Hopefully by the time I'm finished they'll be all but invisible, the bigger problem will be the joints between 'blocks'.

The second block is now structurally complete, it's 4mm higher than the first, the next will be another 4 higher then the next too.

post-7104-0-54649800-1477609417_thumb.jpg

Windows, lots of windows... and lots more to do too!

post-7104-0-29134800-1477609426_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

That is a heck of a lot of slates to fit Paul and a lot of brickwork to paint later too.

I think that amount of repetitive work would test my patience and I would have to have a good few breaks, it'll be a stunning feature once done though with a length of almost five feet.

Jim

Edited by aberdare

Paul, how are you going to fit the slates?

Are you going to fit them in strips, a bit of a lot to do them individually.

I tend to use double sided tape -- you can get it up to 2" in width. Cover the side of the roof with tape, then stick your tile strips to that. I once tried sticking with solvent. The roof was plastikard, and warped badly. At least tape will not warp any part of the plastic roof.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

If you use double sided tape then unless you use loads of it to cover the uncovered areas of slates, aren't you in danger of them lifting?

Paper slates will stick to Plastikard with PVA. I have used the paper /plastic combination a couple of times, and have glued the bottom row on with MEK and then PVA for the rest, the result being no warping whatsoever. Plastic on plastic will warp most of the time in my opinion (and individual slates looks far too random unless constructing a completely decrepit building).

I made a goods shed with plasticard roof covered with strips of Superquick slate paper around 40 years ago. As far as I remember, I used MekPak to fix the slates, and they're still well attached. It will be appearing on a new layout soon.