The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

All the cork is now down so the next job is to put the whole layout up to align the track templates and stick them down. When this is done the cork can be cut around where the buildings will go so they can be sunk into the ground.

post-7104-0-30524700-1484086041_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-12972600-1484086049_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Put the whole layout up tonight and stuck the track plan down, I also cut the cork away where the buildings sit so they are buried in the ground a bit.

attachicon.gifIMGP9829-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9832-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9834-001.JPG

Oh my, this is going to be good! Did you have trouble cutting the cork away? I have the same plan but I'm now finding it difficult to cut the cork away neatly as it's so well stuck down and crumbles. I suppose it can be fixed with some ground texture work.

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

Oh my, this is going to be good! Did you have trouble cutting the cork away? I have the same plan but I'm now finding it difficult to cut the cork away neatly as it's so well stuck down and crumbles. I suppose it can be fixed with some ground texture work.

It did take a bit of getting off, I cut it with a Stanley knife and lifted it with a sharp chisel. What I took off did crumble though, good to know it's well stuck down really.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's now possible to see the overall effect you're aiming at - a bleak mountain-top railway.

If you've ever been up there you would, I think, reognise it immediately.  Even as almost bare boards it already has the feel of the place and the buildings capture exactly what is conveyed in old photos of the line when it was operational.

• Like 1

Put the whole layout up tonight and stuck the track plan down, I also cut the cork away where the buildings sit so they are buried in the ground a bit.

attachicon.gifIMGP9829-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9832-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP9834-001.JPG

This is coming along very nicely now.  Whilst it is well off my usual patch I did have a poke around up there many years ago - before the kids were born and they are in their 30's now!  It intrigued and fascinated me then and the layout seems to be capturing the atmosphere of the place remarkably well.  I love the idea of the 'long boiler' surviving up there.  I hope to see it at Expo EM some time - please keep up the good work.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Got the first two lengths of track down tonight, I'm using C&L (although it still says K&L underneath) flexitrack and I've removed the webbing between the sleepers so they will match the NER 30' rail sleeper spacings as can hopefully be seen in the second photo. I've ordered chairs from C&L so the turnouts can be started as soon as they arrive.

post-7104-0-94006600-1484509047_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-89469000-1484509060_thumb.jpg

• Like 16