The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

You disappeared sharpish today. Went shopping?

Yes, Dalton Park, in the wind and rain, the 'roof' is useless...

10 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nice banner btw.

P

Ta.

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Yes, Dalton Park, in the wind and rain, the 'roof' is useless...

Ah; the memories. I remember it when it was a pit heap. (With a working aerial flight) The in laws (Ex!) lived less than a minute away. Who needs a roof. The sun was shining when we left.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

So, the wagons are a couple of sheeted opens for 1928, one LNER and one unidentified (possibly LMS), both 3H kits.

That LNER sheet ought to have gone for refurbishment three years ago. Not even the LMS was so thrifty as to expect to get eight years' use out of its sheets...

Liking that pig. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That LNER sheet ought to have gone for refurbishment three years ago. Not even the LMS was so thrifty as to expect to get eight years' use out of its sheets...

Liking that pig. 

The date on the LMS sheet is 1936, so it hasn't been made yet! it's been on that wagon for a long time, it was done years ago for another project, need to work out how to change it, probably paint it out and pop a transfer over it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

The date on the LMS sheet is 1936, so it hasn't been made yet! it's been on that wagon for a long time, it was done years ago for another project, need to work out how to change it, probably paint it out and pop a transfer over it.

Indeed, white is date of manufacture and red is best before. One doesn't often see the red marking modelled - it doesn't show up in prototype photos. [Ref. R. Essery, Sheets, Ropes & Sacks, Midland Record No.3.]

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Lots of coal hoppers.

Lovely scene.  I could look at that all day.

(ok, so all day would be a bit weird).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a mis-match between the length of the wagons and the spacing of the drops. Presumably when the drops were built the standard hopper wagons were shorter?

That's probably what it is, assuming the yard staff would just bar them along until the next wagon was somewhere near.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t assume the drops were built to wagon lengths.  

I think there were different drops for different grades of coal in the typical land sale yards, so there would be no need or advantage in so doing, although of course where they were bunkering or loading ships,  that wouldn’t be the case.

best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I'm taking it for granted that Paul's drops are based on his site surveys and to scale; was there a standard dimension for NER coal drops. (Facilities at ports are a different matter.) North Eastern Record Vol. 1 has a drawing of the drops at Haltwhistle, which are at about 13 ft centres, which would seem to be about the same as paul's.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm taking it for granted that Paul's drops are based on his site surveys and to scale; was there a standard dimension for NER coal drops. (Facilities at ports are a different matter.) North Eastern Record Vol. 1 has a drawing of the drops at Haltwhistle, which are at about 13 ft centres, which would seem to be about the same as paul's.

These are 15' centres, but they are quite thick walls.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

All loaded up in the van and ready for York, luckily for us living here, the bank holiday traffic is all going the other way!

Yes we went past York on Wednesday on our way to RHB.

Pint next week???

Baz