The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

Do you know if the drops were rail head profiled girder rail or waybeams with chairs? Central division drops such as those on the Stainmore line were way beam based (NER 4 bolt common chairs) and it would appear locos were allowed onto them. Certainly Lartington was 15" square timber waybeams and had a sign stating "engines are allowed on these depots", as were Broomielaw and Bowes.

Locos were allowed on Driffield drops at one time until I believe a Class31 fell in almost!

• RMweb Gold

It's so important to record the memories of old railwaymen, I actually worked with a very interesting chap who actually rode on the rosedale branch as his father was a driver there.

Sid who incidentally started as a cleaner at Pickering unfortunately died in service not long before his 65 birthday. He would unfortunately have only have been a child when the line was open but did remember quite a lot about it

• Like 2

Only one loco, the whole of the east branch was one section. I'm assuming they ran round at the east mines and propelled round to the yard.

Paul

I think your right about propelling, one of the coal roads would be for fulls and the other for empties...that way you could get wagons onto and off the drops without a loco...from the pictures we have it looks like the centre line was taken out before closure, which makes you suspect the coal traffic wasn't great...also what was the height of the drops as thats s a hell of a long way for the coals to fall...all great stuff and power to your elbows!

A/box

• RMweb Gold

Paul

I think your right about propelling, one of the coal roads would be for fulls and the other for empties...that way you could get wagons onto and off the drops without a loco...from the pictures we have it looks like the centre line was taken out before closure, which makes you suspect the coal traffic wasn't great...also what was the height of the drops as thats s a hell of a long way for the coals to fall...all great stuff and power to your elbows!

A/box

I've got the drop at about 15', Egton bridge is 10' and these appear to be higher. What is puzzling is the height of the floor of the drops above the cottage and the weighbridge, some ground has been dug away to build the 'modern' farm buildings but it must have still been one heck of a slope! Unless access was to the end of the drops, down the road and back to the weighbridge? Anyway, this is all your fault, suggesting it all those years ago...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to show how long the turnout is, here it is with a wagon.

post-7104-0-27556400-1485209297_thumb.jpg

Thought has now turned to the fiddle yard, There is plenty of room for 6 roads with a bit of safety room at the front, there will be a 'fence' at the back to keep stock in check.

post-7104-0-85504200-1485209288_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Just to show how long the turnout is, here it is with a wagon.

attachicon.gifIMGP9850-001.JPG

Thought has now turned to the fiddle yard, There is plenty of room for 6 roads with a bit of safety room at the front, there will be a 'fence' at the back to keep stock in check.

attachicon.gifIMGP9849-001.JPG

That long turnout has a really nice flow to it though, well worth doing.

I'm liking that fiddle yard design a lot, think I'll be borrowing that design (with the essential below track tea mug storage shelf) for my next project.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That long turnout has a really nice flow to it though, well worth doing.

I'm liking that fiddle yard design a lot, think I'll be borrowing that design (with the essential below track tea mug storage shelf) for my next project.

Make the gap taller for pint glasses.

Guest Q663368

Amazingly, two weeks after the track plan was stuck down the last of the track on the scenic section is done, the fiddleyard should be straight forward as the sleepers don't need re-spacing.

attachicon.gifIMGP9851-001.JPG

18th June 1908 and Booch 1001 class no 1093 prepares to depart for Blakey Junction*.

attachicon.gifIMGP9856-001.JPG

*For those taking notice, yes, some of the wagons are in the later NER livery.

We will forgive you. Very nice indeed.

Guest Q663368

One of the longest terrace of houses I've seen on a layout and for a layout based on a very remote location.

Which mine I in in the picture behind?

Looks like Lingdale but I could be wrong.

Edited by Q663368

• RMweb Premium

Amazingly, two weeks after the track plan was stuck down the last of the track on the scenic section is done, the fiddleyard should be straight forward as the sleepers don't need re-spacing.

attachicon.gifIMGP9851-001.JPG

18th June 1908 and Booch 1001 class no 1093 prepares to depart for Blakey Junction*.

attachicon.gifIMGP9856-001.JPG

*For those taking notice, yes, some of the wagons are in the later NER livery.

Very good Paul. The problem with remote rural areas is that there's a lack of roofers and glaziers.

• RMweb Gold

One of the longest terrace of houses I've seen on a layout and for a layout based on a very remote location.

Which mine I in in the picture behind?

That's North Skelton on the exhibition display board for Greyscroft Mine.

• RMweb Gold

If you drill a large hole in the deck a pint glass could be placed into it, like a cup holder, which also prevent spillage.

Maybe 2, straight or necked glass.

Or then again, as it's only for kettles, a goodly selection of holes instead of track, suitable for any liquid retention vessel.

Mike.

Well, despite it being badly designed for beer, it's fine for tea.

attachicon.gifIMGP9857-001.JPG

The first four roads of the fiddleyard stuck down.

attachicon.gifIMGP9858-001.JPG

Clamped in place to mark off the next track.

attachicon.gifIMGP9859-001.JPG

I'm very interested to see how you get on alignment wise in service, it looks a great idea.

Perhaps we should be nicking the idea for BCB as presumably you could join two together for longer trains...