The London Festival of Railway Modelling ? 19-20 March 2016

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

A little bit O/T but how about a 'loyalty bonus' for existing subscribers?

That must be the £1 reduced price entrance?

Not a patch on the "RMweb members' discount" they had for RMweb Live the other year. Printing the ticket at home wouldn't bother me too much - but this 'loyalty bonus' also requires you to subscribe - AND go through a "third party" ticketing agency.

For me, the third party ticketing company is the real deal breaker.

I think I'll give this one a miss.

Huw.

Not a patch on the "RMweb members' discount" they had for RMweb Live the other year. Printing the ticket at home wouldn't bother me too much - but this 'loyalty bonus' also requires you to subscribe - AND go through a "third party" ticketing agency.

For me, the third party ticketing company is the real deal breaker.

I think I'll give this one a miss.

Huw.

Indeed, the £2.50 postage charge effectively wipes out any real benefit unless you're ordering multiple tickets at a time, but then the subscriber bonus is limited to 2 tickets iirc anyhow.

I'll just buy on the door instead I think.

• RMweb Gold

I was discussing my route to the exhibition from darkest Estuaryland with relatives who live in North London. They kept suggesting various alternatives all of which I have tried in the past. My route involves the DLR and I like sitting at the front pretending to be a driver. I think the relatives don't quite understand...

• RMweb Gold

This should be an excellent show - layouts that are worth seeing - seminars that are worth going to (I wonder if any of them will be recorded for inclusion in a future BRM cover disk) - society stands that are worth visiting - no doubt some decent demos as well - good trade support - and an interesting venue.

In view of Warners having recently added Traction, Garden Rail and Narrow Gauge World to the portfolio, it will also be interesting to see if they also have sample copies of these magazines available for inspection on the BRM stand - together with copies for sale and serious attempts to sell subscriptions for them.

In the long run, it will also be interesting to see if there are any attempts to build links between all these magazines (perhaps features in one of them making reference to linked / similarly themed features in another - perhaps joint promos).

It will also be interesting to see if serious attempts are made to tie these magazines in with RMweb. By this, I mean something like:

• NG themed RMweb challenges;
  • SG challenges, inviting us to model some locos or multiple units profiled in Traction - of course, usable drawings would come in very useful here.

Talking of RMweb challenges, it will be interesting to see if there's going to be one running this year - if so, it would be very helpful if the theme could be unveiled in time for people visiting "Ally Pally" at the weekend. After "Ally Pally", a lot of people won't get to any further shows until "Warley" - by which time it would almost certainly be too late to do any serious shopping for challenges.

Time will tell - but I think this site's 11th birthday might be coming up very soon ... .

Anyway, that's more than enough from me.

Regards,

Huw.

I likewise have failed with regard to the sunscriber discount (as I did with Doncaster also).  Entered LON + subsciber number (no leading zeroes) and just ignored it.  Added normal ticket to see if the discount would be subtracted at a later stage but no.  So went back to this thread to check, went back to book again and followed routine as before with same result - except I have now 2 tickets in my basket!  Tried to delete one of them but message to say they couldn't accept this as it would leave an odd seat in a middle of a row! 

So came out of web altogether, cleared all cookies etc out of my system and then went back in again.  Managed to get one ticket at full price in my basket, pressed PayPal option, entered PayPal user name and password but taken back to order processing payment selection page - no messages as to why. 

Tried again with same result. Gave up trying to use PayPal and paid by credit card.  Success at last and I've managed to print my full-price ticket - but what a user-malevolent system!

Even a fairly simple order of 2 tickets without any discounts seems user-malevolent.

A simple order, declined the extra ticket "protection",  went via PayPal, gave my PayPal details, and it reverts back to a page with no indication of success of transaction. No email confirmations from PayPal or ticketing system, nothing showing on my PayPal account. So, at present I've no idea where this one sits.

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow, recheck my PayPal account, then decide whether its worth the hassle of trying again and paying a different way. Or perhaps decide that BRM don't want me and my friend to attend.

BRM need to get their act together unless they don't want people through the door. 

- Nigel

When I booked for this show and Doncaster the webshite would not take my subscriber number.  Eventually I did the deed by telephone as going round in circles does nothing for my blood pressure.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Be aware if travelling by National Rail from London, incredibly there are no direct services from King's Cross to Alexandra Palace anymore (they now all go to/from Moorgate) so a change of train at Finsbury Park will be required.

Daft timetabling idea by someone there....

We perhaps haven't done very well at promoting the modelling demonstrations at the exhibition over the last few years - perhaps because some demonstrators only decide what they are bringing at the last minute, perhaps because the stands sometimes get lost in any big venue.

We have tried to bring as many of them as possible into the area around the theatre in the West Hall to create a 'learning zone', and we've put some of the details on our website here including Jean-Francois and Eric from Belgium showing how to produce elements to construct scale buildings using 2-D & 3-D CAD programming, and computer-driven milling & cutting machines. and how to use those elements plus Styrene profiles (Evergreen, Slaters, etc.) on a PVC Foam Board base to create the building. Here's a picture of a demo building he did at Keen House at the end of last year.

post-1260-0-72484600-1457997676_thumb.jpg

We'll update more as we have it.

Tom

It might be better to use the bus than the tube /train if you're travelling that way as there are buses that stop right outside.

Can't tell you which buses myself as I'll be driving down (trying to get a mobility scooter down to/around on London tube/buses is fraught with difficulties sadly).

It might be better to use the bus than the tube /train if you're travelling that way as there are buses that stop right outside.

Can't tell you which buses myself as I'll be driving down (trying to get a mobility scooter down to/around on London tube/buses is fraught with difficulties sadly).

W3.  It runs from Finsbury Park station to and past Wood Green station, both of which are on the Piccadilly Line.  I often go this way if I have time.

Another possible route: Victoria Line to Highbury and Islington, change to GN for Alexandra Palace.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

We perhaps haven't done very well at promoting the modelling demonstrations at the exhibition over the last few years - perhaps because some demonstrators only decide what they are bringing at the last minute, perhaps because the stands sometimes get lost in any big venue.

We have tried to bring as many of them as possible into the area around the theatre in the West Hall to create a 'learning zone', and we've put some of the details on our website here including Jean-Francois and Eric from Belgium showing how to produce elements to construct scale buildings using 2-D & 3-D CAD programming, and computer-driven milling & cutting machines. and how to use those elements plus Styrene profiles (Evergreen, Slaters, etc.) on a PVC Foam Board base to create the building. Here's a picture of a demo building he did at Keen House at the end of last year.

attachicon.gifEric Sainte building.jpg

We'll update more as we have it.

Tom

I'm sure it will be interesting but I'm not sure that 2D/3D CAD programmes and computer driven milling cutting machines are the sort of thing the average modeller has in their toolbox!

Jerry

Even a fairly simple order of 2 tickets without any discounts seems user-malevolent.

A simple order, declined the extra ticket "protection",  went via PayPal, gave my PayPal details, and it reverts back to a page with no indication of success of transaction. No email confirmations from PayPal or ticketing system, nothing showing on my PayPal account. So, at present I've no idea where this one sits.

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow, recheck my PayPal account, then decide whether its worth the hassle of trying again and paying a different way. Or perhaps decide that BRM don't want me and my friend to attend.

BRM need to get their act together unless they don't want people through the door. 

- Nigel

The advance ticketing is, as you probably know, handled by the Ticket Factory and I've been advised that it's worth contacting their customer services if you have any problems - customer service: 0333 300 3010 – open 9am-9pm

If you don't get any joy call our exhibitions team on 01778 391123 (9am-5pm) or email exhibit@warnersgroup.co.uk as we have other contact numbers they can try. 

Ticket protection isn't compulsory of course.

• Administrators

This should be an excellent show - layouts that are worth seeing - seminars that are worth going to (I wonder if any of them will be recorded for inclusion in a future BRM cover disk) - society stands that are worth visiting - no doubt some decent demos as well - good trade support - and an interesting venue.

In view of Warners having recently added Traction, Garden Rail and Narrow Gauge World to the portfolio, it will also be interesting to see if they also have sample copies of these magazines available for inspection on the BRM stand - together with copies for sale and serious attempts to sell subscriptions for them.

In the long run, it will also be interesting to see if there are any attempts to build links between all these magazines (perhaps features in one of them making reference to linked / similarly themed features in another - perhaps joint promos).

It will also be interesting to see if serious attempts are made to tie these magazines in with RMweb. By this, I mean something like:

• NG themed RMweb challenges;
  • SG challenges, inviting us to model some locos or multiple units profiled in Traction - of course, usable drawings would come in very useful here.

Talking of RMweb challenges, it will be interesting to see if there's going to be one running this year - if so, it would be very helpful if the theme could be unveiled in time for people visiting "Ally Pally" at the weekend. After "Ally Pally", a lot of people won't get to any further shows until "Warley" - by which time it would almost certainly be too late to do any serious shopping for challenges.

Time will tell - but I think this site's 11th birthday might be coming up very soon ... .

Anyway, that's more than enough from me.

Regards,

Huw.

Thanks for the post Huw.

We'll have a few copies of Traction, NGW and GR on the stand - but not loads. Our focus at Ally Pally will be BRM, but it's something we'll be discussing for further shows. 

Our publishing strategy for all of our 'railway' titles will be to see how we can link them all. For example, a narrow gauge article in BRM will have links to NGW magazine and so on. Again, it's early days but we're constantly talking to the editors to look at ways for all four magazines to work closer together. 

We'll also be doing some joint subscription offers. BRM's April issue will include a BRM + Traction subscription offer - £15 per quarter by Direct Debit and we'll send you every issue of BRM & Traction! Of course, we'll be doing the same with Garden Rail (in BRM May) and NGW (in BRM June).

See you at the show.

Steve

• Administrators

With a week to go, the BRM team are in full swing getting ready for the show!

We have two very special subscription offers planned - one of which means you'll be given one of these which you can spend at the Gaugemaster stand at the show (or afterwards via the internet/telephone/in store)! 

attachicon.gifGaugemaster-1.jpg

If you're interested, PM me or visit the BRM stand at the show. This is a Limited Offer though, so be quick to avoid disappointment.

The second subscription offer is '6 issues of BRM for just £9.99'! Again, visit the BRM stand to take advantage of this offer!!

post-14186-0-58773400-1458051643.jpg

• Administrators

I've been doing a little work on Ruston Quays for the weekend. It's time to get a bit dirty with a great big pot of mud.

mud.jpg

Trouble is, it looks like delicious chocolate mouse so I have to avoid the temptation to eat it!

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing a little work on Ruston Quays for the weekend. It's time to get a bit dirty with a great big pot of mud.

Trouble is, it looks like delicious chocolate mouse so I have to avoid the temptation to eat it!

That should be easy - after all, you know what's actually in that stuff.

Huw.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifmud.jpg

Chocolate Mousse?  More like cat sh!t.  Hats off to moggie - he's a pretty good shot getting it in the jar....

• RMweb Premium

I'm trying to decide whether to go on Saturday or Sunday. Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm guessing that Sunday is quieter, but getting there by public transport from our campsite at Abbey Wood may be more difficult.

SHMBO will be hitting the shops while I'm in the show, so if the shops close earlier on Sunday, I might get less time at the show, but she will have less time to empty the bank account.

Archived