Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

You can pre-order at Hattons (other model shops may do similar) for £29 each - that really is giving them away at that price - sell all your Hornby Mk3s cos they are gonna become worthless over the next few years if Oxford do this right .............

• RMweb Gold

Ok then as an addition to the above - id like a rake of Blue/grey ones to go with the early ScotRail push pull models and the hopefully incoming DBSO - does anyone know what formation these ran in - i think it was usually 5 / 6 coaches and a DBSO - can anyone confirm this and what types of coaches were involved ?

Ben

29 pounds at Hattons for the Oxford Rail version...... 27 pounds for the current Hornby mk3...... it's a no brainer by the looks of things... time for Hornby to reposition their offering into the railroad range....

I'm impressed that the price is so reasonable, hopefully Bachmann are taking note re their mk2f......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can pre-order at Hattons (other model shops may do similar) for £29 each - that really is giving them away at that price - sell all your Hornby Mk3s cos they are gonna become worthless over the next few years if Oxford do this right .............

Only if they do FGW / XC ones......I have 6 sets! And if they do........it's going to be enjoyably expensive for me :-)

Edited by scoobyra

Right!!!! To use the street vernacular. Its about time I did some Big'ing up here.

A bit earlier on in the thread I posted a comment about how while at the Goodwood Revival a couple of weeks ago. Mr Oxford Diecast/Rail was happy to indulge me in a conversation about the forthcoming Mk3's. As I reported Mr Oxford Rail told me that they expected to have some very positive news in October with releases going to key members of the modelling press and information going out via their website.

So comrades! Friend, Romans and even those who model kettles. Could we at least congratulate Oxford Rail heartily for doing what they said? Yes I am sure the nay sayers will witter on about the proof being in the pudding and that we haven't seen one out of the box yet. But in an industry where the big legacy players seem quite happy to dangle the carrot in front of us for years and then in some cases coming up with something less than........... well.......... mediocre. Could we at least give Oxford Rail a big round of applause for getting out there and getting on with it. 

For as long as I have been a member of this forum there has been a general consensus that the might MK3 has been woefully overlooked. Now we have a new entrant to the market who in the less than twelve months looks to be delivering the goods and to timeframes they promise. That in my book is worth a heap of praise.

Good work Oxford Rail.

Edited by Nile_Griffith

only 6 though I see so either multiples of the same number, renumbering or waiting for different numbers to be released will be the order of the day. 

For me these will be a must have, deduct 20% and hopefully if the exchange rate stays low and these will be cheap as chips !!  :senile:  :senile:

• RMweb Gold

Big up da Oxford Rail innit....................(for those of us over 50, or 49, in my case, a very well done to Oxford Rail).

Definitely agree with Nile on this (although we need to understand the process that the 'bigger' companies follow and their rationale behind it) as it's a fantastic effort. It'll be interesting to see how much of a market there is for these coaches in large numbers given that a full length HST is over 3m long and not many people have the space to run trains of this length (this was also Bachmann's argument when I quizzed them at Ally Pally) What puzzles me is why we've had to wait over thirty years (since Jouef) for someone to produce a MK3 that's actually very close to the real thing? 

Perhaps they could produce some power cars too to really throw the cat amongst the pigeons?

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

only 6 though I see so either multiples of the same number, renumbering or waiting for different numbers to be released will be the order of the day. 

For me these will be a must have, deduct 20% and hopefully if the exchange rate stays low and these will be cheap as chips !!  :senile:  :senile:

Oxford Rails plan is to release in over a period a prototypically numbered rake of Mk3's as they would have expected to appear if they had been running together on a certain date on a certain route.  What that the timescale of that release will be I don't think they have indicated. 

I'm guessing that the great majority of collectors and modellers will be chuffed witless at the availability of some current standard models without worrying too much about carriage numbering. If honest I don't find it a deal changer. For those modellers who are looking for specific numbering they are much better served in terms of variation and availability by the transfer suppliers. No manufacturer is going to be able to economically cater to every numbering requirement.

According to BRM they are and they all have buffers so if they aren't they are incorrect. 

How many/ what type of loco hauled mark 3A/3Bs have the square vent on the roof above the doors, I thought they all had the 3 small ones, and it was the original HST mark 3s that had the square vent, not that I have studied them all in that much detail.

Edit-

Just looked online and it appears some of the mark 3A Buffets, mark 3A Sleeper and mark 3B Firsts have the square vent, they say you learn something new every day because I thought they mainly had the 3 small vents!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

All the sleepers, Mk3B firsts and the original RUB buffets had plenum chambers instead of roevacs. Some of the modular buffets were rebuilt from Mk3a FO stock so these had roevacs, the others were from the RUBs and ex HST TRUKs so these had plenum chambers.

Edited by Flood

You;re not going to believe this, fella.... MK3 sounds

not for models, but even so

Can't guarantee it but I think something to do with Legomanbiffo, Youtube Armstrong powerhouse behind the thrash, and you can see Biff attaching the microphones at the very start, You never know he may do a Loksound decoder one day.

Also on Charlie's website DC Kits.

Edited by UP 4000
  • Like 1

Is this the actual price(I hope it is) or just Hattons estimate? Hattons have form on this. Is it confirmed elsewhere?

The rrp quoted on the Oxford Diecast site is £34.95 and my local model shop offers 15% below rrp on Oxford Rail products, so the Hattons £29 price is based on current Oxford pricing, exceptional value.

This just goes to show how Bachmann have been ripping us off with massive price increases over the last 3 years or so, blaming rising Chinese labour cost's, for example a class 150 was around £69.00 when first released now its £165.00, you could buy a class 350 for £107.00 when they first came out, the class 450 will be £299.00 when that gets released.

I personally think they were getting greedy as they had the lions share of the market, but with all these new companies, it's price rises will come back to bite them hard.

This just goes to show how Bachmann have been ripping us off with massive price increases over the last 3 years or so, blaming rising Chinese labour cost's, for example a class 150 was around £69.00 when first released now its £165.00, you could buy a class 350 for £107.00 when they first came out, the class 450 will be £299.00 when that gets released.

I personally think they were getting greedy as they had the lions share of the market, but with all these new companies, it's price rises will come back to bite them hard.

It may also be that Oxford later decide to increase their prices to a level closer to that of the established "players".