Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

I agree.

When they were first announced, there seemed to be a lot of praise about them. I thought this was unjustified for something unknown.

Having just seen photos of some pre-production models for the first time, I think they look very promising.

If the production models look as good, a rake will appear on my WCML layout.

I hope they don't make the same mistake as Bachmann by producing too many buffets compared to TSO's & FOs.

Oxford have said "The coaches will be produced over time as part of a correctly numbered series of coaches. Each coach being based at the same depot and being found in a typical service during the period the livery covers. So you can add future releases to form a full train service." which suggests that they will be producing sufficient numbers of each type as you suggest.

• Like 2

Can somebody answer a question for me please? MK3s use 3' 1 1/2" disc braked wheels. Where does the measurement come from? The dia of the running surface or the flange?

The diameter is nominally from a point on the tread of the wheel, but without knowing the detail of the tread profile I could not say how far across the tread that point is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping this question hasn't been asked already but does anyone know/has anyone heard whether the window glazing will be smoked or not on these models?

Personally, I'm hoping for smoked. It's a major feature of the real thing and I find overly-transparent glazing to be toy-like. 

Any rumours/confirmations/opinions?

Cheers,

Michael

I'm hoping this question hasn't been asked already but does anyone know/has anyone heard whether the window glazing will be smoked or not on these models?

Personally, I'm hoping for smoked. It's a major feature of the real thing and I find overly-transparent glazing to be toy-like. 

Cheers,

Michael

The windows in the ones on display at MRS in Glasgow were clear, but I've no idea whether or not that's any indication. I'd certainly be interested in knowing the answer to this question though, as the smoked glazing is quite a distinctive feature of the Mk 3s I think (as well as the a/c Mk 2s).

Cheers,

Michael

Chaps,

I mentioned this earlier on in this thread some time back I think. I asked OR and they said they are considering it, but no final decision at that time. I said that it would be a big shame if there is no tinting, and pointed them in the direction of the Hornby MK2Es, which in my opinion have some of the best looking tinted windows of any RTR product.

By all means, email OR and bug them as well, because it would be such a major let down if they go for the pre-production clear windows.

Dave.

Chaps,

I mentioned this earlier on in this thread some time back I think. I asked OR and they said they are considering it, but no final decision at that time. I said that it would be a big shame if there is no tinting, and pointed them in the direction of the Hornby MK2Es, which in my opinion have some of the best looking tinted windows of any RTR product.

By all means, email OR and bug them as well, because it would be such a major let down if they go for the pre-production clear windows.

Dave.

OR duly bugged.

Will let you know the response as and when I hear back.

• Like 1

OR duly bugged.

Will let you know the response as and when I hear back.

I've just received a very rapid response from OR. I also asked about their current views concerning interior lighting:

We have specificed the model with smoked glazing. And the samples I had in alst week were a nice darker colour. So looking good.

I’m experimenting with lighting – not sure if we will fit it as standard yet. It will depend on cost, reliability and also how long the development takes.

• Like 3

I've just received a very rapid response from OR. I also asked about their current views concerning interior lighting:

We have specificed the model with smoked glazing. And the samples I had in alst week were a nice darker colour. So looking good.

I’m experimenting with lighting – not sure if we will fit it as standard yet. It will depend on cost, reliability and also how long the development takes.

Excellent news Waverly West! I hope the lights are standard too, but the tinted windows are more important IMO.

Cheers, Dave.

yeah that tint needs to be very light and subtle.   if they go too dark (look at the early Hornby Mk3 retools which were almost black) it will be detrimental to the highly detailed painted interiors whether lit or not.

OR must think long and hard on the final spec but I think lighting ought to be optional like the Dapol N gauge coaches with pick ups ready fitted to all coaches and the light bars available as easily fitted separate bars or factory fitted with a price differential.  lets face it these coaches will keep OR in the money for donkeys years if they get them right.

be good if they put some pics up here that show these new developments.  

• Like 1

Excellent news - the smoked glazing of the 1:1 is so evident, the models would have looked totally wrong with completely clear glazing.

As for interior details being visible, I've had quite a bit of experience with continental models such as those from LS Models who produce astoundingly detailed interiors and then don't (in my opinion) smoke the windows enough just so that you can see the effort they've put into the interior. 

My preference would be for realistic tinting with simpler interiors rather than light tinting so that the interiors can be clearly seen.

All a matter of preference, I suppose. I guess that with lighting, you could have the best of both worlds... Although I wouldn't be keen on the idea of only lit models being produced, I think that lighting should really be a matter of choice and there's also the annoying additional cost aspect for those having to buy a feature they don't want.

Still, you're never gonna please all the people all the time :)

• Like 1

I'd hope they would release any lit models as a variant of the standard unlit model to give people a choice.  A nice lit RFM to go with Bachmann's pricey lit Mk2F coaches in a typical London-West Midlands rake would suit me, and if they (as expected) work out cheaper than Bachmann's 2F's I could use a few lit Mk3s to pad out a typical mixed 2F+Mk3 rake in blue and grey saving a few schekels.

Whatever they decide I'm sure any lit coaches will be additions to the range rather than standard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

the stobart livery seems a strange choice, it didn't operate for long according to wikipedia, a very niche market but i suppose there are plenty of stobert collectors out there who would buy just one coach for the display cabinet

had they chose DRS instead....

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/193789/

(thats me taking the empty stock from crewe to oxley almost 10 years ago!)

• Like 2