RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone explain to me what a long swing link is please?

In addition to 298's post, on the end of the coach you will find either LSL or SSL marked so easy to tell which you have without looking. That said, it has not stopped the odd LSL ending up on the third rail network.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

It depends on what era you're modelling. Great Western have very few LSL coaches and XC have a complete set with LSL.

No doubt caused by the merry-go-round of coaches in the 2006-2008 period, the predominantly SSL Mk3s having gone from Virgin to FGW, While the AXC Rakes are made up either from the ex Loco Hauled Mk3s or the LSL fitted ex Midland Mainline Mk3s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The link to the pics above is useful, despite signing MK3 for years since my chiltern days I've never seen visually what the difference with SSL and LSL was!

(Btw The NMT is all SSL suspension)

Assuming MK3 Sleeper "Exec" were painted the same as MK3 day time stock, I took the liberaty of taking a ruler to a MK3 Exec today.

As I don't have 3 hands, on the curved bodyside the tape measure is sticking out, therefore looks like i've overshot the measurement; it's accurate, just not flush against body side. I forgot to take a measurement from the top of the letters to the red stripe, if anyone wants me to take a measurement, say so as i'm with the coach again tomorrow. If anyone wants to scale the measurements down to 4mm :)

post-22343-0-00342100-1501181911_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-37936300-1501181913_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-12788100-1501181915_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-31811000-1501181917_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-97217900-1501181918_thumb.jpg

post-22343-0-84374900-1501181920_thumb.jpg

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

In the spirit of bumping: Hattons still advise that the models are expected July 2017 to September 2017 which places us in the middle of that timescale. Quite how this can be achieved when we don't know if they will come with lights or not remains to be seen!

In the spirit of bumping: Hattons still advise that the models are expected July 2017 to September 2017 which places us in the middle of that timescale. Quite how this can be achieved when we don't know if they will come with lights or not remains to be seen!

Maybe they are waiting to see if the factory have or have not fitted them and then announce this is the option they have decided to do! :jester:

It depends on what era you're modelling. Great Western have very few LSL coaches and XC have a complete set with LSL. 

Great Western have quite a few LSL coaches according to the POIS lists I get.

Some sets have half each, 4 short and 4 long.

• RMweb Premium

Great Western have quite a few LSL coaches according to the POIS lists I get.

Some sets have half each, 4 short and 4 long.

I'm hoping that Oxford don't do the GWR Mk3 coaches. Can guarantee that they won't do it to match the gloss power cars from Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping that Oxford don't do the GWR Mk3 coaches. Can guarantee that they won't do it to match the gloss power cars from Hornby.

In which case you will presumably be quite happy with Hornby's current Mk3 offering then.

As has been proved time and time again duplication in the model railway world rarely makes financial sense for manufacturers - on the odd occasion where it has occurred it seems to simply be a case that both parties have got past he point of no return (as in the tooling has / is physically being prepared). As such I find it hard to imagine anyone else doing a 'super detailed' Mk3 now that Oxford have committed themselves to doing them as the finances simply don't stack up whatever modellers might say.

Also, in reality paint finishes are not uniform, and given the way power cars can be swapped about its quite conceivable you might get a freshly painted power car with a rake of trailers that has already been dulled by the effects of sunlight.

• RMweb Premium

What would you do if Oxford produced their own Power cars to match their own Mk3 coaches ???

Just an idea (Lol)

I will, now and in the future, stick with my Hornby ones. They are fantastic models to my eye. I have never understand why everyone says they prefer the Lima power cars over Hornbys fantastic super detailed ones.

I will, now and in the future, stick with my Hornby ones. They are fantastic models to my eye. I have never understand why everyone says they prefer the Lima power cars over Hornbys fantastic super detailed ones.

Lima's ones always looked a little too angular to me & the seams around the front end were huge. Hornby's original model had a better frond end shape but the light cluster let it down.

Hornby's new model beats both of these hands down.

Isn't talk of HST's jumping the gun a little? We have not even seen the production version of Oxford's Mk3A yet.

What would you do if Oxford produced their own Power cars to match their own Mk3 coaches ???

Just an idea (Lol)

I already have the latest Hornby power cars so only need decent Mk3s to go with them. I cannot see myself flogging the Hornby set (doubtless at a big loss) to buy a-n-other makes of new power cars for a similar or more expensive price I paid.

I will get ONE NRM prototype HST power car if it sees the light of day (but no coaches or anything now as the entire train will doubtless be beyond my wants/needs).

I already have the latest Hornby power cars so only need decent Mk3s to go with them. I cannot see myself flogging the Hornby set (doubtless at a big loss) to buy a-n-other makes of new power cars for a similar or more expensive price I paid.

I will get ONE NRM prototype HST power car if it sees the light of day (but no coaches or anything now as the entire train will doubtless be beyond my wants/needs).

I just hope that the new Oxford Mk3 coaches do indeed match the Hornby HST power cars, that would be great, as they are a very nice model.

If this is not to be, then I further hope that Oxford do go on to produce power cars that match and are of equal,if not better quality than the Hornby version.

• RMweb Premium

I just hope that the new Oxford Mk3 coaches do indeed match the Hornby HST power cars, that would be great, as they are a very nice model.

If this is not to be, then I further hope that Oxford do go on to produce power cars that match and are of equal,if not better quality than the Hornby version.

Let's not forget too that the Mk3A is the loco-hauled version, as of yet there hasn't been any HST-Hauled ones announced. And I hope they don't until the Mk3A gets released.

• RMweb Premium

Except Hornby's ones are NOT suer detailed! (at least as far as we know that term tt mean these days). For example the Hornby offerings lacks a close coupling mechanism, have moulded on CDL lights which are simply painted over when earlier liveries are done, are a mix of ex Lima tooling and their own efforts, etc.

In reality the only 'super detailed' thing about the current Hornby offering is the paint finish - but as with the 'Duke of Gloucester' steam loco, even a very good paint job does not alter the fundamental deficiencies present by the use of simplified / old tooling in the first place.

Of course if you are happy with Hornby's offerings then thats fine - nobody is forcing you to buy other manufacturers products even if they are a higher quality model.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Except Hornby's ones are NOT suer detailed! (at least as far as we know that term tt mean these days. For example the Hornby offerings lacks a close coupling mechanism, have moulded on CDL lights which are simply painted over when earlier liveries are done, are a mix of ex Lima tooling and their own efforts, etc.

In reality the only 'super detailed' thing about the current Hornby offering is the paint finish - but as with the 'Duke of Gloucester' steam loco, even a very good paint job does not alter the fundamental deficiencies present by the use of simplified / old tooling in the first place.

Of course if you are happy with Hornby's offerings then thats fine - nobody is forcing you to buy other manufacturers products even if they are a higher quality model.

The ones released in 2009 beginning with R2701 have no parts reused from previous HST models so I'm not sure what gives you that idea. The R2707 Railroad model was the ex-Lima tooling but that's the only one released so far.