RMweb

PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold
Concrete sleepers and bullhead track was quite wide spread, the LMR had a habit of laying on branch lines then closing them. 

Neatly maintained bullhead on concrete sleepers, on the now-closed southern section of the Severn Valley Railway on 13th July 1968.

2_031551_430000000.jpg

The same, a sad sight today:

2_031605_110000000.jpg

Martin.

• Like 7

This is silly. ALL companies used both arrangements. The standard drawings are shown square-on simply because they are easier to draw that way as a "typical" timbering layout.

The actual decision on which timbering layout to use is based on site conditions and weight and speed of traffic over each route. And lots of other considerations such as degree of prefabrication.

Peco's choice of equalized incremental timbering is entirely suitable for steam-era bullhead pointwork with hand-packed timbering for all companies, and is typical of station throats and junctions, and also yards and sidings. Not so good for trailing crossovers in running lines out in the country, but you can't have everything.

Martin.

I've a decent collection of GER books and the GER was fortunate in having a photographer who loved climbing up signal posts and so on to find good vantage points.

It's difficult to tell in sidings because in pre-Grouping days the sleepers were covered with ash and so the positioning of the chairs is the only clue but, with running lines the pointwork predominately shows that the timbering is laid perpendicular to the straight through or main line and extends as such some way away from the crossing nose, with the chairs fixed at quite sharp angles to the run of the timbers. Furthermore, the check rails span just 4 sleepers.

Just received my RM in the post. Advertorial on Peco shows new fishplates in better detail, and confirms that the new BH points will have Unifrog crossing (as will something in 0 gauge). Says fishplates about to be available, but no date for points.

Just received my RM in the post. Advertorial on Peco shows new fishplates in better detail, and confirms that the new BH points will have Unifrog crossing (as will something in 0 gauge). Says fishplates about to be available, but no date for points.

The something in O gauge would probably be the Setrack points: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110235-o-gauge-set-track-points/?p=2612981

I've been wondering how much bullhead was still around in the UK and happened to notice yesterday, while using the Greenford Branch to get to Paddington during a tube strike, that the junction that forms the apex of its southern triangle just south of Drayton Green is still entirely bullhead. It also looks as if the western arm of the triangle is still bullhead most of the way to its junction with the GW main line slow lines.

The junction is still the traditional two sets of points and a diamond crossing with the two points being fairly symmetrical. I think there's some image distortion on Google Earth as it makes the diamond crossing look like a switched one which it definitely isn't. It's a relatively busy junction with four passenger trains an hour toing and froing between West Ealing and Greenford using the eastern arm  and a fair amount of freight and ECS workings using both arms.  

Edited by Pacific231G

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

so 93 pages in, how is this track going down with folk here?  who has put their hand in their pockets and shelled out and are you glad you did?

it would be great to see FB track on concrete at some point.

I'm very pleased with the 5 metres I have laid so far: it is easy to shape to a curve and doesn't try to spring back, easy to trim and my Hornby coaches don't rattle on the chairs round the curves as they do on C+L track. The thicker sleepers are helpful in aligning to code 75 points. 10/10 for me!

• RMweb Premium

I started last year in trying to make my own points using C&l components (so far so good) I bought a box of their track so far all thick sleepers problem you have to cut the ribs so it will curve, next out comes DDC bought another box ,that's has thin sleepers and again hard to set radius, then along come Peco which I have used before I buy another box and for me this is the best very easy to use bends into the radius so again for me 10/10, you make think I've wasted a lot of money in buying three different types but the DDC and Peco appeared out of the blue quiet quickly and the C&L and DDC track will be used in sidings . The other point is the rail joiners DDC supply them with their track Peco are slow in bringing theirs out I don't like using the code 75 rail joiners !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I started last year in trying to make my own points using C&l components (so far so good) I bought a box of their track so far all thick sleepers problem you have to cut the ribs so it will curve, next out comes DDC bought another box ,that's has thin sleepers and again hard to set radius, then along come Peco which I have used before I buy another box and for me this is the best very easy to use bends into the radius so again for me 10/10, you make think I've wasted a lot of money in buying three different types but the DDC and Peco appeared out of the blue quiet quickly and the C&L and DDC track will be used in sidings . The other point is the rail joiners DDC supply them with their track Peco are slow in bringing theirs out I don't like using the code 75 rail joiners !

I'm in much the same place, I bought a pack of DCC track, a pack of their rail and the plywood sleepers and plastic chairs from C & L to match. But I have given up on soldering the steel rail and changed to nikkel silver for the points and wondering whether to change to Peco or not for the flexi tack, which would then mean changing to thick sleepers for the points. But on the positive side. Just imagine a couple of years ago, being able to agonise about which OO gauge bullhead track system to chose. Talk about luxury first world problems :scratchhead: 

• Like 1

I'm in much the same place, I bought a pack of DCC track, a pack of their rail and the plywood sleepers and plastic chairs from C & L to match. But I have given up on soldering the steel rail and changed to nikkel silver for the points and wondering whether to change to Peco or not for the flexi tack, which would then mean changing to thick sleepers for the points. But on the positive side. Just imagine a couple of years ago, being able to agonise about which OO gauge bullhead track system to chose. Talk about luxury first world problems :scratchhead:

I bought several lengths of C&L exacto scale bullhead , nice but very hard to curve without cutting the webs , then I tried DCCs new stainless , don't like it at all. ( daft idea -stainless ) , I've settled on the PECO , I'm hand building 00-SF points to match , using ply sleepers and C& L chairs painted to match

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just imagine a couple of years ago, being able to agonise about which OO gauge bullhead track system to choose.

In fact you have been able to do that for many years. 00 bullhead flexi-track has been available from SMP Scaleway and C&L (thin sleepers) for a long time. Plus in recent years the option of Exactoscale (C&L thick sleepers). So that made 3 to choose from / agonise about until recently.

Now we have 2 more from DCC and Peco, which makes a current choice of no less than 5 options. It's not credible that all 5 can survive, so an important factor now in deciding which to adopt will be guessing which will still be available in a few years time.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I bought several lengths of C&L exacto scale bullhead , nice but very hard to curve without cutting the webs , then I tried DCCs new stainless , don't like it at all. ( daft idea -stainless ) , I've settled on the PECO , I'm hand building 00-SF points to match , using ply sleepers and C& L chairs painted to match

I one of our club members really did not get on with stainless steel track. It wouldn't cut properly, the rail head became damaged very easily and it wouldn't take shape properly. He is quite experienced, so I've steered well clear of it.

Peco's new bullhead curves really nicely, it holds it shape and I feel it a superior product in that respect. 

SNP track is alright, but generally I don't think it is same quality as C&L Fast Track (00) which, despite not curving as well as Peco's, does look better. You also get the advantage of Hi-Nickle silver rail, which does look very close to steel.

I would like to add here, we have never had so many options for finescale 00 track and my comments above are not aimed at attacking the companies concerned! We are so lucky that we can now be fussy over which 00 plain track we can use. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 1

In fact you have been able to do that for many years. 00 bullhead flexi-track has been available from SMP Scaleway and C&L (thin sleepers) for a long time. Plus in recent years the option of Exactoscale (C&L thick sleepers). So that made 3 to choose from / agonise about until recently.

Now we have 2 more from DCC and Peco, which makes a current choice of no less than 5 options. It's not credible that all 5 can survive, so an important factor now in deciding which to adopt will be guessing which will still be available in a few years time.

Martin.

I do find it strange that some seem to have issues with cutting through the webs between the sleepers, in fact amazed that some may try curving track without doing it (unless I have misunderstood the post). The outer part of of the curve just needs one slit, with the likes of Peco where the webs have been cut on alternative sides will give uneven sleeper spacing.. I guess this may not matter but I find it strange when folk expect everything done for them.

Its much easier if you have a former to work to, Tracksetters are handy, but simply printing off a piece of curved track from Templot, sticking it to some card, then carefully cutting along the inside sleeper line will give a super template for whatever Radii is required

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do find it strange that some seem to have issues with cutting through the webs between the sleepers

Those of us who can remember laying Wrenn and Welkut fibre-based track know that you always had to cut through the outer webs in order to curve it. It was supplied fully webbed to make it easy to lay it dead straight with square sleepers. The instructions made this clear. I can even remember a chart showing how often the web should be cut according to the required radius -- for gentle curves it was suggested that it was necessary only every 3 or 4 sleepers.

Martin.

• Like 1

so 93 pages in, how is this track going down with folk here?  who has put their hand in their pockets and shelled out and are you glad you did?

it would be great to see FB track on concrete at some point.

Well I've tried, but I've been to several shows and the local model shop and not been able to buy any. So who's got some to sell? I initially only want a couple of lengths so I don't want to fork out a lot on postage.

When are the Peco points due? I'm wondering what will be better between Peco and D&C concepts. Either way its good there is now choice!

I don't think that there will be a choice - given the difference in materials and cross section and the inclination of the rails on the DC product, you either go with Peco or with DC. If the DC version is also pre-grouping type-specific that may create a further limitation for some.

DCC Concepts suggested autumn for their points when I spoke to one of their staff at Glasgow while the rumour mill is suggesting late spring for Peco. I doubt if the rail inclination or the nickel vs stainless steel issue will prevent the two types of track being mixed.  Given that SMP/C&L track has been mixed with Peco Code 75 pointwork on many a layout there would need to be an even more glaring visual discrepancy to put many folk off.  Anyone particularly concerned about the wrong sort of chair or the layout of timbers being wrong for their chosen line is likely to be building their own.

I'm fortunate in that both types should be available when I come to track laying.  I'll see what folk who have used either by then have to say and then decide.

• Like 2

Neatly maintained bullhead on concrete sleepers, on the now-closed southern section of the Severn Valley Railway on 13th July 1968.

2_031551_430000000.jpg

The same, a sad sight today:

2_031605_110000000.jpg

Martin.

Its not that sad, its just missing some track.   Its great for cyclists and dog walkers etc....I am grateful to the network of long since disused lines that are a haven for such activities.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Long gone bullhead track at Blackrock, Cork. Sorry I arrived too late to photograph the track itself but the Cork Blackrock and Passage Railway alignment does provide a great country walk/cycle not far from the urban roads nearby.

post-158-0-43024100-1489950062_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Its not that sad, its just missing some track.   Its great for cyclists and dog walkers etc....I am grateful to the network of long since disused lines that are a haven for such activities.......

I was referring mainly to the state of the occupation bridge. See:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84769-days-when-you-know-why-you-live-in-the-british-isles/page-16&do=findComment&comment=1804758

Martin.

• Like 1

Flat bottomed and bullhead (with wooden keys) crudely soldered together at Carlisle (Platform 8).  Oddly, the flat bottom rail is the section between this position and the buffers.

post-7420-0-77725900-1489958157_thumb.jpg

• Like 4