PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

The problem with removing the hinge is that it would be different to the rest of the range in operation, which is, where set, it remains set with the assistance of the spring, and the action with the hinge is light. If the solid blade is needed then a latch of some sort, more powerful than just the spring would be needed to be added to the design. The light action suits the solenoid type point motors, and Peco have always kept compatibility with older products foremost over the years.

The example at Warley was reported by visitors as being described by the Peco reps as a dummy prototype, made from parts,(presumably Peco's own) as a sample to display the concept, rather than be exactly what will be made.

By all means contact Peco and find out, but I suspect the planning was long term and they are committed one way or another now, with Easter release mentioned at the Show. (reported by others).

By a lost leader, it does not mean you sell at a loss, it merely means after the investment in the development you are less likely than usual to get a fast return on the product. You can reflect the full development costs in a higher price, but by accepting longer term returns it means you can set a price where you know it will sell, and sell they will at the announced level. Peco are nothing if not experts in selling model railways.

The other issue that might come up is running back through a set point, at the moment most locos and will flip the blades on a return loop, something the hinge allows but solid would not.

Don't get me wrong, I do not like the hinge or the folded blade, but getting rid of it may be very difficult. They could of course just use a new design of hinge, but the options seem limited.

The track is extremely good so far, it is heading to be the flagship track for 00 for the general modeller in the UK, and looks like it will sell even in the States from comments on US sites.

Surely you cannot run a loco back through an incorrectly set point as it will short out first. However regular (non pick-up) rolling stock might.

I cannot imagine who in the US would be buying this other than a few ex-pats. Sales potential should be better in Canada though and as mentioned earlier at least one stockist has taken delivery. I don't think chaired bulkhead track has ever been used in the Americas.

Edited by Jeff Smith

^Jeff,

As a non-expat I might buy one, if only to defy your expectation! :lol:

(but your point is fair)

As for running through incorrectly set points, I have an idea: pay attention! To signals, blades, or otherwise. Prototype operations weren't as quick as we like to portray them so there's plenty of time to cast a wayward glance! Short of mechanical failure it's a non-issue. 

Quentin

• Like 2

Hi Quentin,

Agreed, you should check the turnout setting however the poster I was referring to advocated the current Peco turnout design as being an advantageous design to allow this.......

So you model UK or perhaps French railways to need chaired BH? Or just curious?

I was not advocating running into a point in reverse set against it, without the frog being set electrically to suit. For instance It can be used with return loops to send the next loco arriving at the loop around in the opposite direction to the first one out. Also flipping the blades is done quite a bit in stud and three rail return loops, and Peco do still make stud contact strip for the H0 spaced sleepered streamline track, mainly for the German market. Obviously they cannot do it for 00 bullhead track, near zero demand....

I am a little surprised at the reported Warley Peco statement stated that the sample was directly a sample of how it would appear, as Peco, in a phone conversation,  said it was a hand made example to show the chairs etc and size to be offered, but that the parts would be different in the production items still being developed at that point. My query was not about the hinge, except in passing, but whether a folded section would be used as the blade, and at that point, after Warley, they were still unsure about it and were testing the assemblies and methods of construction.

Also I think there is an underestimate of the use of 00 in the States, there are a lot of collectors and users, out there who would buy the Bullhead track. Peco have been very successful with the 0 gauge bullhead in the States.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

I was not advocating running into a point in reverse set against it, without the frog being set electrically to suit.

I've got an unworked trailing point on my layout. I took the over-centre spring out of it, then connected the frog to a frog juicer. I have had no trouble with it at all.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope it's a solid blade like the sample I saw at Warley. , a folded blade is all wrong for bullhead. I personally would look elsewhere rather then accept that compromise . Loose heeled , I'm not too worried about

Hi Junction

Go back a few pages and find PMP's post he had the gumption to ask the Peco staff on the stand at Warley and their answer was solid.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Junction

Go back a few pages and find PMP's post he had the gumption to ask the Peco staff on the stand at Warley and their answer was solid.

... but will it be correctly milled to rest against the stock rail, or will the stock rail have an unprototypical rebate milled in it instead.  

I suspect I already know the answer...

• RMweb Premium

... but will it be correctly milled to rest against the stock rail, or will the stock rail have an unprototypical rebate milled in it instead.  

I suspect I already know the answer...

I think its a given that the joggle in a BH stock rail is more or less Impossible to achieve in model form reliably . So I reckon the stock rail will be milled as per their FB switches .

I think it'll be an acceptable compromise TBH. Anything will be better than those pressed out hinged switch blades .

I hope they address the check rails being supported by only 3 timbers though as shown on the samples at Warley , looks most odd.

If anyone can't wait for the new, bolted fishplates, and does not want to use the plastic ones currently on offer from C&L, I was browsing the other day and found some on Brassmasters.co.uk web site, although these are cosmetic. However, you get 72 pairs for £5, as opposed to 12 pairs for £12.50 of the brass locking type from C&L. The additional work needed to use cosmetic plates may count against the low cost, but the choice is there.

• RMweb Premium

But the Southern Region didn't have any sleeper trains!

It's not just the jokes thread that needs a groan button adding.

(Though actually it did - London to Paris...)

Edited by Coryton

In amongst the 'noise' about the switch rails and associated bits, please can we not lose sight of the need to persuade Peco to extend the length of the check rails from the short 3 sleepers to at least 5 sleepers? That is also a very visual departure from prototype.

The check rails were pointed out to them very early on, and they were looking into it, and I did ask about the hinges early on as well, and they were non committal , but did point out that the specification has too match the existing points in 00 and therefore match the over centre spring etc., but getting further facts at the moment is not on, as they must be advanced in the start of production  and decisions have been made, and also they have a rival if it comes, in the DCC points, so are likely to keep it very secret. I hope that it is solid or more cleverly hinged., with metal checkrails of the correct length, they know this already, but we shall have to see if it is viable for them to make in this way.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

In amongst the 'noise' about the switch rails and associated bits, please can we not lose sight of the need to persuade Peco to extend the length of the check rails from the short 3 sleepers to at least 5 sleepers? That is also a very visual departure from prototype.

The very short check rails are also a feature of their flat-bottom range.

I suspect it may be a design feature intended to allow wheels with a tight back-to-back to squeeze through, thus preserving their claim to be "universal".

In which case the short check rails may remain.

Martin.