7 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Some really lovely buildings there. I can see why it has become such a sought-after area. SWMBO has a friend with a house on the North Norfolk coast. About time we visited!

If you come in winter don't venture out when the northerly gales are blowing: they can take your ears off if you're not protected!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Some really lovely buildings there. I can see why it has become such a sought-after area. SWMBO has a friend with a house on the North Norfolk coast. About time we visited!

With a camera!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I blinked and three pages appeared.

Yes, I like the map, and the "folds" theme appeals to me - I had already stolen it anyway. If I was not so committed to South Wales i would be tempted to produce a module, but none of us would live long enough to see it completed. And bringing it to a modular meet such as the Americans have would be tricky on the train.

Those street scenes are exquisite and just crying out to be modelled.

My only concern is that one would need a private income of considerable size to fund that locomotive roster, even allowing for the withdrawals. I wasn't aware that Edwardian was the modern equivalent of Lord Merthyr, the Earl of Dudley or one of the other nineteenth century industrial magnates. 

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Perhaps a bit sparsely populated to recruit a whole regiment? There would be no-one left to do the farmwork.

Another reason why west Norfolk needs to bulk out a bit.

As for the thinking behind the regiment, in case you missed it: The West Norfolk Regiment - Military History Re-Written

32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

My only concern is that one would need a private income of considerable size to fund that locomotive roster, even allowing for the withdrawals. I

Oh, it's got worse since you read it  -  Now lists to the total of 44

However, the 28 WNR locomotives currently in service represent the whole system.  Not all of them need visit CA. Not all of them need be modelled. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh, it's got worse since you read it  -  Now lists to the total of 44

However, the 28 WNR locomotives currently in service represent the whole system.  Not all of them need visit CA. Not all of them need be modelled. 

In fairness, my KLR has around 22 and is a fraction of the size.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it must have been mentioned in the 700 pages somewhere, but what are the various liveries of the West Norfolk Rly?

There are certainly some Sharp Stewart locos that I could fancy modelling using the available 3D printed kits as they are just so good looking. But how to paint them? Not too much lining, I hope.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On the first page of the thread there is an index that's regularly updated.  The livery details can be found there.

And as to lining ........ it's complex and a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I'm sure it must have been mentioned in the 700 pages somewhere, but what are the various liveries of the West Norfolk Rly?

There are certainly some Sharp Stewart locos that I could fancy modelling using the available 3D printed kits as they are just so good looking. But how to paint them? Not too much lining, I hope.

As Annie says, it's indexed and it has complex lining!

One of the ways in which the quirky little West Norfolk makes a Bid for Grandeur is in its livery.

In summary it's claret frames lined black/ochre, a mid green livery above the foot plate and on outside cylinders.  This is bordered in dark green on the main panels, the border and the mid green separated by vermillion-black- vermillion lining, with incurved corners and a Naples yellow distance line, 

However, my plan is to commission bespoke transfers that include both standard components - straights and corners (incurved) and small panels and curves peculiar to each loco, e.g. the right radius curve for a cab sheet or a sandbox panel or specific splasher.

Anyone who wants to create a WNR loco would have access to these.  

1287858798_WNRSamplelocoLivery..JPG.5a4bd676d829eadb388c7dd217dfc003.JPG

You'll also need these ....  

1902814496_4243_jshilsdon_6tNarrowPlanetPlates.png.036404a9d6becfb1deafb09461a1a97d.png

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

All today, I’ve been humming that classic tune by Borodin: “In the Steppes of Central Norfolk”, thinking of the caravans of Sharp Stewarts trekking in grandeur the vast distances across the lonely never ending plains of the old silk routes.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As the WNR expands and the passage of pages quickens, my fat finger gets slower and slower:-

i like the idea of a modular WNR empire. I wish to lay claim to a sub-metre gauge spin-off in the Usambaras in Deutsches Ost Afrika.

An Englischephone young officer was much impressed with the WNR during a visit to the Drill Hall.

Afterwards posted to the Usambaras Research Station (a real Hill Station institution founded to prioritise Colonial resource exploitation with over 50 years to catch up on the Brits) he proposed a narrow gauge agricultural lightly laid track flexible network around 'native' shambas.

the problem of a single class can shurely be solve-ed by inscribing differing numbers on each tank side. Wasn't it James Thurber who drew the pair of 'cast iron lawn dogs' identical except they faced opposite ways? 

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3