• RMweb Premium

I agree its likely to be a HR wagon with only cupboard doors. Having two wheel brakes makes it quite a modern HR wagon, so I very much doubt it would appear so far south... If it needs a home....;-}

One thing that I have seen proof for though, is that HR meat vans did make it to Norfolk, so you could have one of them...

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I've linked to these photos before but make no apology for doing so again. Both from Birmingham, where one might reasonably expect there to be goods traffic too and from all parts of the country. Firstly, the Midland's Central Goods Station, c. 1890s - only two wagon positively identifieable as foreigners, the covered goods wagon with X-framing, front left, and the sheeted 1-plank wagon a little further along, almost certainly LNWR. Second, the LNWR Windsor Street Goods Station, c. 1903. In this first view, there's a L&Y D3 covered goods wagon and a GWR rounded-end 3-plank wagon, but otherwise it's pretty certainly all LNWR. In this second photo, there are quite a few PO wagons - including at least one with dumb buffers; a GWR outside-framed wooden covered goods wagon (the sort built before the iron minks); a Midland D299 5-plank open wagon (of course); and a Cambrian wagon loaded with slates; otherwise it's all LNWR.

It's notable that the foreigners are with one exception (that X-framed van) from other companies working into Birmingham, apart from the Cambrian wagon, which has a very obviously Cambrian-originated load - i.e. a good excuse to be there.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

What do we make of this?

(from the Bay of Fleas)

IMG_0031.JPG.7d145d9a74f90117842b276f90e9d2c2.JPG

I have one of those. I'll take a look at it, tomorrow, and see if there are any identifying marks that tell of the kit's origin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw a sketch somewhere of a PO dumb buffered coke wagon with that style of side doors, but I think it was either a 6 or 7 plank wagon.  The GSWR certainly had wagons with that style of side doors coz I made a digital model of one, - but again that was a 7 plank wagon.  Whatever it is it looks nice and early and interesting and a bit different to the usual kind of open wagon seen on layouts so I'd say include it in your wagon fleet James and make no apology for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have one of those. I'll take a look at it, tomorrow, and see if there are any identifying marks that tell of the kit's origin.

I bought it in a similar state to the one pictured, with no definite livery. I've had a look and If there are any moulded manufacturer's identification marks they are hidden by a lump of lead that the builder glued to the bottom of the floor.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

If the concordance is working, you should be able to find us discussing this very topic at length some time ago. IIRC, between us we worked out what, few, things Norfolk might need to import from distant counties.

If it's any guide, the C18 Port Books for Cley list materials imported. By far the heaviest traffic was of course coal (and 'cinders'), with other items including  molasses, raisins, wines etc (mostly from London), oil cake from Hull, timber and Swedish Iron from the Baltic, cloth from Germany, and pantiles etc from Rotterdam – largely in lieu of ballast I understand.

It shouldn't be hard to translate that into late C19 rail-borne equivalents, particularly as much of the general traffic would come in vans or sheeted opens. Brewers would have plenty of local malt, but would have had to import hops, for instance. The likely origin of such traffics would give an indication of what 'foreign' stock would be likely to turn up. 

Sorry, very few buildings had slate roofs...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Alas, if only I had that sort of money going spare! Easy Suffolk Light was one of those seminal layouts. Plus the T7 also featured on Ian’s North Cornwall Minerals (Tregarrick) alongside Bodmin and Pioneer - delightful stuff.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the buy-it-now price, that is still a massive bargain.

4 P4 locos and 32 items of P4 rolling stock, made by one of the pioneers of practical P4 modelling for an iconic layout, all for £1,500?

The locos alone must be worth more than that.

• Agree 1

If you notionally price the locos at £200 each, then the rolling stock comes to approx £22 per item, so for a genuinely RARE! and significant collection, then it's not bad, IF you have the spare dosh ( which I don't...).

Can you get rtr P4 track? :jester:

(I swear I'll KILL whoever implemented the autocorrect in Android!)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I pee on your verbs?

Are we allowed to say such things on RMWeb?

;)

I Pee Alcohol is often mentioned on RMweb, so it must be ok.....  :unsure:

Edited by Hroth
re-sited comma....

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Usual up-himself P4 comment by the seller (anything OO is a 'train set'). If I had the dosh I'd buy the lot and re-wheel to OO! 

You'd have to build new chassis too, the originals would be too fat for re-gauging....

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It would have to be an Airfix 14xx chassis to be in period.....

At least they're cheap!

Yeah, a lot of hassle.  I might as well build my own .... wait, I already am ....

20235396_DSC_2092-Copy.JPG.9b6805730dc3c30991f80cd71f51a2ec.JPG

.... eventually.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3