Oxford Rail Wish List?

Edwardian

How about a re-issue of the 1923 RCH 7 Plank with the WW 2-Postwar with original lettering almost obliterated and a small  white PO owner abbreviation/name above the wagon number. Extra points for raw wood or slightly greyed replacement planks. The other open wagons could be given similar appropriate treatments.

Co-op society wagons would be a good place to start as the original lettering base.

• Like 1

My wish is that they don't announce any more GW locos until we've seen the Dean Goods in the flesh.....

I did suggest a GWR Toad ages ago, and they've taken that on board (probably not due to me though!).

I can put up with inaccuracies on wagons - a dirty coal wagon is a dirty coal wagon when it's whizzing (slowly) past - after all, look at what we've had to put up with from other manufacturers for years. But please don't copy anything already done by the kit manufacturers, except Coopercraft 'cos they seem to be dead and buried.

So the conclusion is .....more GWR wagons please!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I keep wishing for a Stainier 2-6-2 tank but it keeps falling on deaf ears but am sure it would be popular  :beee:

If wikis to be trusted, the fowler 2-6-2t, has same wheel base, wheel sizes, but different valve gear / rods, so much of the same chassis could possibly be used too.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I'd want to wish for anything more at the present, I feel that they need to concentrate on what they have already announced.

It'll be interesting to see how the Dean Goods actually turns out.....

• RMweb Gold

Bulldog ?

I'd reckon Bachmann would/might be tempted to do a Bulldog. They've got most of it already, having done the Dukedog 32xx class. The pool of Great Western steam is growing ever smaller, and the standard of product ever increasing. I wouldn't mind betting that it's somewhere behind the proposed 94xx.

Watch this space (better still, don't).

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope oxfords next model is a partner for Hornby's Q6. A J21 or J27 would be nice.

With the recent announcements from Bachmann, Realtrack and Hornby I’d like to bring to the attention of readers, the potential for the model of the J21 and J25, perhaps giving it a unique advantage. Personally, this is part of a wish list, but the advantages of the models production for a company look very strong.

First of all, the area is proving to be quite popular. The NER and the GER always lead the polling with the two almost the same in terms over overall popularity. Both are now seeing pre-grouping engines released to go alongside the wide ranging BR standards, regional top link engines and transition diesels that make the BR period so popular.

However, the NER has a great deal of potential in being able to get engines made for the area that take advantage of the standardisation. Many engines shared parts which now can be used when tooling areas of a model. Both the J21 and J25 are pretty much the same engine. They share the same boiler, smokebox door, tender, cab, dome. The difference between is wheel size where the difference is 5.5 inches, and at 1:76 that comes out at 0.078 inches between the two wheels needed. Also the wheelbase is out by one inch, giving a difference of 0.013 inches at 00 scale. That is going to be the same wheels, and spacing used per model, and thus the same model made for the two different classes.

The J21 took at total of 195 votes in the recent 2016 poll (more than the Midland 1P announced by Bachmann), and the J25 took 121. Together that’s a total combined of 316, for the model that could be the two classes in one. That puts a J21/J25 model in at 14th in the top to bottom listings, showing there is high demand for it. I do not doubt the demand as shown in the poll. The poll after all is an expression of interest by the modeller to get the products they want. If you don’t express interest, then yours will not poll and thus not be made.

But by making use of such standardisation the model could be made, but allow a company to advertise two classes made for one model.

There are some other classes that lend themselves to similar advantages, where by similar parts could be used. The NER/LNER B16, the SECR L1, and the 43xx all share parts but might require tooling changes for the model, ie to model more than one sub-class design changes and tooling changes need to be incorporated. The J21/25 meanwhile requires none, at 00 gauge you would have two classes in the same model.

Could Hornby make the J21/25 given its very similar in size and chassis at 00 gauge to the J15? Could Oxford rail jump north and find this engine matches their plans for an expanded range that does take advantage of two models in one?

Who knows, but the J21/25 is on my wishlist, and that along with the 3MT I mentioned at the start of this thread might be an idea for Oxford Rail next…

• RMweb Gold

A couple of weeks ago, I'd have suggested a Midland 1P 0-4-4T. :jester:

Following on from The Black Hat's post above, I wonder what 0-6-0s on other railways shared the same diameter wheels and axle spacing with the Dean Goods.........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

A couple of weeks ago, I'd have suggested a Midland 1P 0-4-4T. :jester:

Following on from The Black Hat's post above, I wonder what 0-6-0s on other railways shared the same diameter wheels and axle spacing with the Dean Goods.........

John

That might be true of the wheel base to give you a chassis. That's why engines such as the 43xx would be good for they share the chassis but a top would give you both varients. As much as I hate to admit it the Southern L1 with two tops and one chassis is another that can be done. The B16 - would need similar top and similar chassis, as youd need to alter the motion on the chassis, but then still have the same smokebox, cab and tender to help.

However, the J21 and J25 is different. They are classes as two prototypically different engines, but at 00 scale they are exactly the same when scaled down. I cant think of any other engine where that happens... as a result it makes the total much higher and should massively stand out as a win for a company looking for a more popular model to make as they scale down past the regional engines of the Big four and standards. As a result its a big win. Not to mention too that the J21s were seen in Norwich and the J25s went to the Western region too. Even more reasons to think of them....

Hint hint!!

That might be true of the wheel base to give you a chassis. That's why engines such as the 43xx would be good for they share the chassis but a top would give you both varients. As much as I hate to admit it the Southern L1 with two tops and one chassis is another that can be done. The B16 - would need similar top and similar chassis, as youd need to alter the motion on the chassis, but then still have the same smokebox, cab and tender to help.

However, the J21 and J25 is different. They are classes as two prototypically different engines, but at 00 scale they are exactly the same when scaled down. I cant think of any other engine where that happens... as a result it makes the total much higher and should massively stand out as a win for a company looking for a more popular model to make as they scale down past the regional engines of the Big four and standards. As a result its a big win. Not to mention too that the J21s were seen in Norwich and the J25s went to the Western region too. Even more reasons to think of them....

Hint hint!!

Not forgetting that a J25 was used as Paddington ECS pilot while on loan to the GWR during World War 2.... 

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swindon Cross Country dmu.  I don't want one, just think there'd be a market for one.  What I want is a GW diagram L auto trailer, world peace, an end to poverty and disease, and an 18 year old nymphomaniac brewery heiress girlfriend*, and of those the diagram L is the least unlikely.

*she'd probably kill me, but it would take the undertaker weeks to wipe the smile off my face...

• RMweb Gold

Liking things simple, and just concentrating on locomotives, going by past releases SR GWR and now a LNER N5. Obviously the next as to be a LMS. Until recently I would have gone for the MR 0-4-4t. However as this is now going to be available I would think a duplication unwise. I would think the most likely a fowler or stanier 2-6-2t with the out side chance of a Aurstin 7. I did say I liked things simple. Over to people with a much better thought out reasons to pull my idea apart.

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

The likelihood that OR are 'doing a round' of the groups in steam locos seems pretty high. The three we know now are pre-group in origin, so maybe that is part of the plan too? On that basis an LT&SR 4-4-2T, NLR 0-6-0T, LNWR 'Cauliflower' 0-6-0T, or a near-endless selection of lovely items from the several constituents which were incorporated in the North, far North, uttermost North and Scottish locations of that group. Something from the Caley like their long lived 0-6-0 or 0-4-4T types would be the 'stand-outs' to me, but really the choice is so large as to make picking the likely one a lottery.

• Like 1