The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Gold

Watched this film yesterday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sheriff_of_Fractured_Jaw

OK, ok I'm off work having succumbed to the dreaded viral lurgy. But given my liking for cinematic craziness I cant see how I have missed it until now although some web sites do allude to the link between this and Carry On Cowboy

Which is rampant throughout the storyline!

Gentleman promoted to Sherriff in rough town where several have died in short order...
Hovering undertaker...
House of Ill repute run by curvaceous madam (Jayne Mansfield - its worth watching for her corsetry alone, and she was pregnant at the time!...
Crazy indian chief

Through which Kenneth More plays an utterly straight bat! Brilliant.

If you like the other spoofs see this one if you haven't already....

Phil

I've always enjoyed Westerns and quite like the comedy versions which pop up now and then. A recent addition to the latter is Seth MacFarlane's "A Million Ways To Die In The West" (2014) which is quite funny (at least I think so).

Some earlier productions that are worth watching are the Marx Bothers in "Go West" 1940 and Buster Keaton's silent film of the same name from 1925. The 1965 film "Cat Ballou" is another one worth watching especially for Lee Marvin as a drunken gunfighter.

Dave R 

There's a long tradition of spoof westerns - it's pretty much as old as the genre.

All the old comics did them like "Abbot and Costello in Ride Em' Cowboy" (1942). Martin and Lewis did a movie named "Pardners" (1956)

Bob Hope did several - I'm thinking first of "The Paleface" (1948) and "Son of Paleface" (1952).

We have the reference to the Marx Brothers above.

Frankly some of the 'classics' like Tom Mix or Roy Rogers were so cliched they were a spoof of themselves as were the singing cowboys like Gene Autry.

Then there were the musicals like "Paint your Wagon"

"City Slickers" (1991) and "City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold" (1994) are spoof westerns.

In some respects even "Back to the Future Part III" is a spoof western.

Here's a starting point if people are interested.

Number one is always "Blazing Saddles".

'Support your local Sheriff'

'Blazing Saddles'

See these: hilarious! 

I will say that "Blazing Saddles" has a particular problem these days when broadcast. There is a particular word that is used very often, and deliberately so, usually to highlight it's offensiveness. It is usually muted these days when broadcast which feels a bit incongruous.

Blazing saddles has only ONE problem????

I didn't say that! :)

Actually it was great for reinstating the celebrity of Hedy Lamarr in pop culture, and significantly, though indirectly, making sure her contributions to engineering with her patent for spread spectrum frequency hopping is remembered in the tech community.

I always did like James Garner in "Support Your Local Sherriff", mentioned earlier. Love the scene with Walter Pigeon's dumb son in the jail with no bars. :D

There was a follow up movie with him, "Support Your Local Gunfighter" that also has its moments.

• RMweb Gold

Ref. Post #4

A few of us used to have sessions on railtours making up spoof loco names (beer was involved), IIRC the best 10xx one we came up with was D1074 "Western Extremity".

Once we realised it made more sense than most of the real ones, we gave up. :jester:

John

PS. Warships were much more fun: e.g. "Bilious", "Impractical",   

Ref. Post #4

A few of us used to have sessions on railtours making up spoof loco names (beer was involved), IIRC the best 10xx one we came up with was D1074 "Western Extremity".

Once we realised it made more sense than most of the real ones, we gave up. :jester:

John

PS. Warships were much more fun: e.g. "Bilious", "Impractical",   

"Indelible" ?

Archived