The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

Although he does look slightly more Sidney RoughDiamond than The Rumpo Kid....

Phil

You should see what I actually look like!

It sure ain't Sid "Baby Face" James...

Sam:

I never did get to know exactly what she'd done that was so wrong.

Judge Burke:

Old Ben was a friend of mine Sam, and she killed him.

Doc:

It was his own fault. He was ninety-two. I warned him not to marry her!

I didn't say that! :)

Actually it was great for reinstating the celebrity of Hedy Lamarr in pop culture, and significantly, though indirectly, making sure her contributions to engineering with her patent for spread spectrum frequency hopping is remembered in the tech community.

She took them to court for unauthorised use of her name. But yes, has to be Blazing Saddles for me; Support Your Local Gunfighter's also pretty good although I haven't seen that for a long time so could be rose-coloured spex

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Although not comedies I found there was a lot of humour in the man with no name trilogy of spaghetti westerns. On actual comedy westerns I think Blazing Saddles is brilliant and works on several levels.

In a time when the BBC offers us activists ranting that all the Oscar nominees are white, as serious news, I'm surprised "Blazing Saddles" gets shown at all....

Why, because Cleavon Little wasn't nominated but a white actress was?

Perhaps some things never change after all?

Blazing Saddles was nominated for three Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actress: Madeline Kahn, Best Fim Editing, and Best Original Song. It won none. Oscars going instead to Ingrid Bergman, The Towering Inferno and The Towering Inferno respectively. Does anyone remember "We May Never Love Like This Again"*. I certainly remember "He rode a Blazing Saddle".

* Go ahead, click the link - I double dog dare you. This song won!!!

Blazing Saddles has a lot of biting satire about racism in US history, but in particular the movies. It does it in a way that is funny and not preachy.

• RMweb Premium

'They call me Trinity' anyone?

I remember the 'trinity' films from years ago, were shown on BBC2 (early '80s)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Call_Me_Trinity

Another site has some views on their contribution or otherwise to the 'spaghetti' genre:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Man_called_Trinity

Also remember seeing Terence and Bud in 'Odds and Evens' at the cinema, I think it may have been made on the back of their renewed fame.

• 3 months later...

Archived