The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Contenders for 'most obvious plot' movie

34theletterbetweenB&D

Prompted by this, but veering off on a slightly different course:

I was once dragged by a couple of friends to see Ted the movie. We got halfway through before we stood up and walked out, stepped into the pub next door, ordered beers, speed read the rest of the 'plot' on Wikipedia and spent the rest of the night enjoying ourselves.

I managed about ten minutes of this unfunny car crash of a movie. Had it been funny it might have sustained the feeble plot a little longer. What would you nominate as the most transparently obvious plot (device) in a movie to the extent that it was intolerably boring?

I nominate 'The Lakehouse'

Five minutes in the plot device was clear, there was a timey-wimey portal in the post box and the protagonists were out of phase in time. So I wrote my plot summary on a piece of paper left in my wife's keeping, and went off to play with the trains. Near two hours later she looked in on me and gave me 10/10. 

So, is there anything worse lurking out there, that should be avoided?

Titanic.  Once it hit that iceberg, I knew it wouldn't end well...

Interesting choice

Sadly, when it was release many of the much younger generation(s) here in the US stated they were intrigued to see it as the trailers got them excited and they actually wanted to know how it would end! :O  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice

Sadly, when it was release many of the much younger generation(s) here in the US stated they were intrigued to see it as the trailers got them excited and they actually wanted to know how it would end! :O  :jester:

How did it end?

Better pm me I don't think anyone should put out any spoilers ;)

Griff

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choice

Well sometimes the film is different. Dad went to see "The Battle of the Bulge". He said it must have been a different battle and bulge to the one he recalled.

Escape To Victory must be in with a shout.

Firstly, the poster shows footballers, so it must involve football. Secondly, the title includes the words 'escape', which suggests that everyone will escape, and 'victory' which suggests that they will probably win.

Spoiler alert - they don't actually win, it's a draw.

Prompted by (Ted) but veering off on a slightly different course:

I managed about ten minutes of this unfunny car crash of a movie.

If you don't like "Ted", then "Ted 2" will certainly offend even more.

I nominate 'The Lakehouse'

Dreadfully tedious.

I have to nominate one of my favourite movie studios for the 'most obvious plot'.

The recent Disney/Pixar movie "The Good Dinosaur" was (from a plot standpoint) both obvious and tedious.

Technically I thought it a tour-de-force of animation. Characters apart, the scenery rendering was truly beautiful. Despite the clever twist on the 'boy and his dog' motif, it was unremittingly dull. I can't and don't expect movies like "Up" or even the clever "Inside Out" every time but this one didn't meet what I hoped for from them.

With Disney in control they are now working on a raft of retreads including "Finding Dory", "Incredibles 2", "Cars 3" and "Toy Story 4". 

Taken. I cant imagine where the scriptwriters thought up that a travelling daughter got kidnapped, found by her father and rescued in such an unbelievable way and in such a short time span.

The scriptwriters need hunting down and killing!

sadly the film Enigma must get into the obvious plot group because of the way it was changed to the US retrieving the machine.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting choice

Well in Hollywood land, EVERY movie ends well. Perhaps the vast majority of those on board Titanic (there are always some token deaths), ended up drifting off to a tropical island & lived happily ever after.

• RMweb Premium

Walt Disney, asked to do a sequel to The Three little Pigs, said "You can't top pigs with pigs.

I have to nominate one of my favourite movie studios for the 'most obvious plot'.

The recent Disney/Pixar movie "The Good Dinosaur" was (from a plot standpoint) both obvious and tedious.

Technically I thought it a tour-de-force of animation. Characters apart, the scenery rendering was truly beautiful. Despite the clever twist on the 'boy and his dog' motif, it was unremittingly dull. I can't and don't expect movies like "Up" or even the clever "Inside Out" every time but this one didn't meet what I hoped for from them.

With Disney in control they are now working on a raft of retreads including "Finding Dory", "Incredibles 2", "Cars 3" and "Toy Story 4". 

Sorry, last section was supposed to be a quote.

• RMweb Premium

Taken. I cant imagine where the scriptwriters thought up that a travelling daughter got kidnapped, found by her father and rescued in such an unbelievable way and in such a short time span.

The scriptwriters need hunting down and killing!

sadly the film Enigma must get into the obvious plot group because of the way it was changed to the US retrieving the machine.

I don't remember that being 'Enigma', I thought it was 'U-571'?

• RMweb Premium

There has been some talk of the Dambusters film being remade by the US. I bet they use B-17s................

And don't mention Guy Gibson's dog.

Cheers,

Mick

It would be interesting to see a film in which the hero(es) failed and the Earth was destroyed.

Terminator 3?

Deep Impact? (Not sure about that one as I've only seen bits and I'm not interested enough to look it up in Wikipedia).

I don't think the ending of  Invasion of the Bodysnatchers was terribly promising either.

Or that of 28 Weeks Later (which was the most  appalling rubbish most of  the way through BTW).

But yes, in general Hollywood saves the world. Again, the Euro filmmakers have a less optimistic view of things, although by the nature of their films, they use the imminent end of the world plot device much less frequently.

Archived