Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

I'm happy with the body so far. All fitting together as it should. Hope that keeps up.

Also pretty well keeping to the instructions which is unusual for me. But I think it's best on this particular kit.

post-150-0-89207100-1548001262_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Onwards with the body today.  Still going well BUT there are no etches for the tank top beading. So I will have to fabricate those.

Other than that, it's a shame the chassis was so bad.

post-150-0-48408800-1548092893_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-44715600-1548092910_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz

Yes, and it would have been an even greater shame for someone with far less experience that you to have bought it, struggled, failed, given up and decided that brass kits, even the very top ones, weren’t for him or her.

That, in my view, is the biggest risk of “difficult” kits.

At least the builds on here and WT show what can be achieved. Keep up the good work!

Best

Simon

Yes, very disappointing to find a major dimensional error at a late stage in construction and possibly, as mentioned above, enough to put some people off. As someone who builds locos in P4, often from kits intended for "OO", checking cylinder centres and valve gear bracket widths before going too far has become second nature. Spacing out is quite common, including front foot steps, to get adequate clearances.

Dave.

• Like 1

A little more progress today. Everything still a pretty good fit with only minor filing of the firebox/taper boiler formers to do.

That has now taken care of the main structure assembly. Now mainly down to the details.

post-150-0-60742400-1548174180_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-75033300-1548174198_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Nothing done yesterday. Today I've done some of the detailing so not a great deal left to do now.

Quite pleased with how the body is going considering how old this kit is and one of Malcolm Mitchells first kits he produced.

post-150-0-67946100-1548352551_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Bodywork is now completed and tomorrow the chassis finishing ready for clean up and priming. Quite amazing how the detailing seemed to go on forever. There would be much more of that if one was to go to town way beyond the kit.

post-150-0-56397800-1548526356_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Bodywork is now completed and tomorrow the chassis finishing ready for clean up and priming. Quite amazing how the detailing seemed to go on forever. There would be much more of that if one was to go to town way beyond the kit.

attachicon.gif44xx chassis 9 - 1.jpg

Looking good Ken - and it’s really refreshing to see you tackle and succeed with a tricky subject.

Hope it’s not another Stanier job next, or the one after (joke)

Thanks guys.  The next loco build is a DJH A2/3 Pacific.  But before that I have a coach and a horse box to tackle.

Peter, I too think the cylinders would have looked a bit odd set in more.

• Like 2

I have decided to leave priming the 44xx until the weather warms up a bit. Jolly cold in the garage for now. So it's now on with the horse box.  Another one for the last century, drawn in 1984, and a brand never to have crossed my WB previously a Sprat & Winkle. (I know of their  couplings but that's a far as it goes for me)

Again well tarnished so it's out with the sonic cleaner now.

post-150-0-74047700-1548686423_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's one I built about 35 years ago I don't recall a problem with the cylinders or clearance as you described. sorry not the best photos.

attachicon.gif45xx.jpg

Looks very nice Mike.  I notice the cylinders are just fine on your model.  I guess the etches must have been redrawn early on. The one I was building must have been a very early production run.

I have decided to leave priming the 44xx until the weather warms up a bit. Jolly cold in the garage for now. So it's now on with the horse box.  Another one for the last century, drawn in 1984, and a brand never to have crossed my WB previously a Sprat & Winkle. (I know of their  couplings but that's a far as it goes for me)

Again well tarnished so it's out with the sonic cleaner now.

attachicon.gifhorse box 1 - 1.jpg

I have one of these in my stash too Ken, although mine is under the later Model Signal Engineering banner. I believe that they are now with Dragon Models.

Looks very nice Mike.  I notice the cylinders are just fine on your model.  I guess the etches must have been redrawn early on. The one I was building must have been a very early production run.

Hi Ken, it would appear that the chassis was in fact redrawn from the 45xx to the 44xx which  caused the problems you encountered. The 45xx was re-blown from the 4mm kit so had a selection of spacers.

cheers

Mike

Hi guys. Amazing how both of you have these horse boxes.  I have looked at the one on Dragon models, (three times the price on the kit box on this kit), and is useful to help complete this one.

No problem with the doors being correctly opposite each other BUT the overlays are very much larger than the inner sides, photo shows the problem. I will have to somehow shorten the sides and make the ends narrower without making it too obvious. And recreate the beading on the edges. As can be seen, the ends should be only slightly wider the the floor and the same goes for the length of the side overlays.

post-150-0-05603200-1548709042_thumb.jpg

I cannot make the inners wider and longer as the base incorporating the valences and headstocks would be incorrect.  Any suggestions?

I guess another very early production model that is not correct. I note that Peter's model was the LNWR one, not the Caledonian/LMS one that this kit is.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Hi Ken, it would appear that the chassis was in fact redrawn from the 45xx to the 44xx which  caused the problems you encountered. The 45xx was re-blown from the 4mm kit so had a selection of spacers.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. That would explain a lot of the problems I encountered on the chassis.

Regards, Ken

Wow, great to be back.  Many thanks to Andy for his work and persistence.

Whilst we were 'off air' I've got the horse box ready for the off. Not without a few modifications I might add, also fitted a floor and partition between the grooms end and the horses end.

horse box 2e - 1.jpg

horse box f - 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, N15class said:

What needed doing? With mine the kit came plasticard to make the partition and seat.

Nothing for the floor and partition in the kit. The roof was just a sheet of brass.   I made the handbrake guide and drilled the holes for the retaining pin.  The chassis was 3mm too short for the body so had to pack that out. No air and vac pipes in the kit either. No door knobs do made them from flattened brass pins.  Other than that it made a nice model.

• Thanks 1

Now it's onwards with the Gladiator LNWR 4 wheel brake 3rd. A standard Gladiator kit that should not cause any problems.

Chassis is done except vac pipes as they will be better attached when the body is built and fitted on.

4 wheel coach - 1.jpg

• Like 2