Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi. I ran out of time yesterday to post the current progress.  So, all that's left now is the s/box door detailing and fitting plus all the cab interior and fitting the whistle. Then fabricating my own method of coupling the tender to loco.

It's been a long journey but on the downhill home straight now.

PS You may notice that the cover plates on the s/box are plastikard. They were missing from the kit. An interesting thing, there is no response on their phones and emails are returned as domain unknown. So what's the point of putting them on their website/instruction sheets I wonder?

491187467_313-1.jpg.c38514e1a32cb63065ee18841a416c62.jpg

Edited by jazz
bad grammar
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Today I spent stripping it all down, cleaning all and then priming and also painting the chassis black. Tomorrow will be reassembly and fine tuning the running. (If all goes well)

After that will be a JLTRT GWR 52xx tank. That will be a nice kit to build going by previous offerings from that source.

Edited by jazz
I said 56xx instead of 52xx.
  • Like 3

Ho heck, disaster with the JLTRT 52xx.   Discovered a lot of the etches for the chassis are missing from the kit. Called Laurie and he has no etches for the 52xx.  However he is going to search the etch scrap box to see if he has any to help out.

It will be a bit of a problem if he hasn't.  So I will start the body whilst awaiting the outcome.  Other than that it's down to scratch building and purchasing slide bar supports.

Disappointing on a kit that cost me £345.00 for the basic kit.:mad:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Ken

Warren Shephard does a kit, and he’s only down the road in Minffordd.  My 52xx is one of his.

He has frames & chassis cross members, cylinders etc. I guess you could mate his chassis to the  JLTRT upper works.

hth

simon

Hi Simon. Warren and I are friends he comes over every so often. Must admit, I missed he did a 52xx so if Laurie does not come up with the goods I will give Warren a call.  The pony truck is the only thing I would really like but getting a spare etch is almost impossible as that ruins the sale of a complete kit. The other missing etches can be scratch made. All the castings etc are present. 

Edited by jazz

Hi Simon.  That must have been a great firing experience, I'm quite envious have only ever driven diesel electrics.

Yes, his 52xx has both etched and LWB. So I guess it will be the latter if I need it. Also I have a 4mm scale drawing of the loco so I can blow that up to make the cylinder casing.

BTW, a lovely 52xx you built there. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Ken,

I'm sure your magic modellers wand will do this one justice in the end.

May I ask how the 44xx is coming along re final painting ? 

Grahame

3 minutes ago, jazz said:

Hi Grahame. The 44xx is all finished as it's being delivered in primer as usual.  Regards, Ken

Ah ! I didn't realise that, thank you.

G

This afternoon made some more progress.  The s/box saddle required a lot of casting removed from the base as the casting was for a 42xx which meant the s/box sitting was too high.  Carful bending of the overlays then followed.

So a small amount of tweaking required on the saddle to get it right also on the boiler support bracket. The fun will start on the bunker.

996794035_GWR52xx2-1.jpg.ecd9092673be28724b003da92e4dbffe.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, that's the worst bit done, these western bunkers are alway a bit tricky. It has a fair bit of cleaning up to do though.

The saddle has been tweaked and the resin boiler unit now is a perfect fit. The saddle does need a little bit of filler where the hack saw when where it shouldn't have.

All the details have been done in the front area where the boiler unit would make things difficult it is was fitted first.

The rest of the body should be a walk in the park now, well, almost.^_^

1106667245_GWR52xx3-1.jpg.9fc8dcd1670f4423307d7c20381f629d.jpg

555085324_GWR52xx4-1.jpg.cc7e68e90b2ec729862b7ab67cb3a49b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Nice work as usual Ken, just out of mere curiosity may I ask what the process is in forming those bunker corners ?

I believe some kits have preformed ( white metal ? ) ones whilst others have to be formed from the supplied sheets.

Grahame

On this kit the upper corners are lost wax castings. The lower corners are etched sheets using bending bars.   On the kits that all the Cornes are of the etched sheet type then that is far more tricky and builders have there own methods of forming the corners.  

Personally I have a selection of bending bars and couple with a selection of pliers and careful bending I can get the corners almost perfect. I then use low melt soda to fill any small gaps and file to get as perfect as I can. Problem is you can easily loose any rivet detail. So all in all the preformed variety give the best results.  Lost wax give the best results as the do not get damaged with the soldering.

Regarding soldering I use a small 2.5mm tip and set at 400 deg.  It takes practice to solder small parts though.  I find it too difficult to use anything less than 400deg.  Speed is of the essence and plenty of practise not to melt the castings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

34 minutes ago, jazz said:

On this kit the upper corners are lost wax castings. The lower corners are etched sheets using bending bars.   On the kits that all the Cornes are of the etched sheet type then that is far more tricky and builders have there own methods of forming the corners.  

Personally I have a selection of bending bars and couple with a selection of pliers and careful bending I can get the corners almost perfect. I then use low melt soda to fill any small gaps and file to get as perfect as I can. Problem is you can easily loose any rivet detail. So all in all the preformed variety give the best results.  Lost wax give the best results as the do not get damaged with the soldering.

Regarding soldering I use a small 2.5mm tip and set at 400 deg.  It takes practice to solder small parts though.  I find it too difficult to use anything less than 400deg.  Speed is of the essence and plenty of practise not to melt the castings.

Thank you very much for that full description Ken, very useful indeed.

G

• Agree 1

Hooray, the missing etch sheet arrived yesterday. Just finished of the bodywork with just the roof to do. So tomorrow starts the chassis.

I have to say, in all the hundreds of locos I have built over the past 50+ years this is the first one building the body before the chassis. I very much doubt I will repeat this experience.

775531435_GWR52xx5-1.jpg.17f64539842b00ce58867f62ccb916c3.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

OK. That'e the chassis sorted. The pony truck & loco chassis front end required some modifications as it would only allow almost straight running.

It now will traverse under 6' radius curves. Also added lead weight to the pony truck. So running should be good.

There is still the cab interior to sort out. That's for another day though.

523240901_GWR52xx7-1.jpg.e2e11db28f2a9657ebfc79f2f4b923c2.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Ken

I had to be a bit aggressive with mine, the rear end needed to be joggled to get around 6’ curves, I had the first & third axles with “no” side play.  How wide are your frames?

Atb

Simon

Hi Simon.  Frames are 26.9mm.   I have side play in the rear two axles by thinning the bush shoulder. The is a very small amount of side play in the front two.

It's OK for Peco points with a little bit to spare.  The pony truck had no chance of negotiating them without some chopping of the loco frames over the wheels and moving the pony upper braces in board a bit.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2