Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Steve, that would be great to see the MOK 9F. :locomotive:

Tony, I will never be the same again. :yes:

I'm very much looking forward to it Ken, a BR standard 3 tank from them would be great, what would you like for your self Ken?

From MOK?

Peppercorn A1/A2

Any ex-LNER Pacific EXCEPT an A3.everyone has/does one.

Maybe the W1 in it's later guise? An A4?

There is still a preponderance of ex-GWR and ex-LMS locos about as models.

15 xx pannier for me and a 94 pannier, I've already sent him drawings for the 15 and im going to send some more from the NRM archives.

The BR standard 3 tank would be nice especially if it's as good as the standard 4 tank. The BR standard 4 tender variant would also be a great model.,

Sorry for the hijack Ken.

If any one else is interested in a 15 drop Dave an email at MOK

• Like 1

I fancy the BR 4-6-2T  Class 4MT.  If I want to go mad spending the cash, a Merchant Navy Class should that become available again.

This afternoon I have soldered up the chassis and cleaned up the tabs.

I now have to sort out the castings and fit them tomorrow. There is a lot of cutting from the sprues to do and cleaning them up.

post-150-0-35887200-1399225845.jpg

• Like 9

Give Mr Ascough a ring Ken.

Knowledgeable bloke and dead easy to talk to.

Did you know he used to own Butler Henderson?

Are you sure, I always thought it was part of the National Collection.

OzzyO.

Ha! that Butler Henderson.  (Still didn't know, even after visiting the NRM on at least six trips)

Edited by jazz

Mr Ascough told me that when Clapham closed, he was offered his choice of three locos to "look after" and own. He chose BH.

It was then based on the GCR for a few years until the national collection gratefully accepted it back.

Had a good day on the WB. The chassis is now well under way. The instructions did not help in attaching the brake and anding gear (there was none).  Also had to fabricate a few things as they were none existent. I am sure had it been an MOK supplied kit this would not have been the case. A fair bit of head scratching and I think I got it all figured correctly in the end.

Now I'm ready to start the valve gear and all the various pipe work.

post-150-0-98418200-1399406091.jpg

• Like 6

I thinned down the width of the actual blocks as they were the same width as the tyre that would have been a real issue. there is plenty of space for the centre sprung wheels to float without touching the tyre.

post-150-0-68549100-1399469931.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

I wonder if anyone can help with this kit?   There is a lot of etched dummy inside valve gear in the kit. Unfortunately the instructions for it are missing.

Has any of you built the Sanspariel/MOK LN class and can help with those missing instructions. I just cannot figure out what goes where.

All these parts for the inside valve gear.

post-150-0-00316800-1399482467.jpg

post-150-0-88845300-1399482493.jpg

Thanks, Ken

• Like 2

Evening Ken,

I'm afraid I cannot help with any instructions but have you thought of contacting Dave Sharp of MOK, he might have some copies of the original instructions lying around you never know, try :-  DSharp@modernoutline.co.uk

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hi Ken

I fitted full inside valve gear to my LN. I don't have the instructions, but I'm sure there was enough of a GA in one of my SR books to give me the information I needed. I can take some detail photographs of my model on Friday if no-one comes forward earlier.

Cheers

Richard Lambert

Back to the LN build. This morning I have almost finished the chassis. Sand pipes and cylinder drain pipes to add, then prime & paint. Final assembly when that is completed. All the valve gear was a delight to assemble. None of the usual clearance problems. The casting did take a long time to cut from the sprues and clean up. I was pleased to see the various holes were clear except for the casting powder. This meant the holes just had to have clearance holes drilled.

I will add the chassis pipework when the body is completed. That will aid positioning

So attention can now be turned to starting the body.

post-150-0-64924000-1399808862.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

Spent most of the day on the LN for a change.  The firebox was a bit of a job to get right.  It was difficult to get it to sit properly on the chassis and around the splasher tops. In the end I had to do some fettling to the arches to clear the splashers, then all sat nicely in position.

The boiler/smokebox was no problem and sat perfect first time.  The photo shows this unit sitting in place before soldering up. (That's tomorrows job).

post-150-0-34233600-1399914417.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Peter.  I have never been a fan of the Southern but I'm warming to it. I think the Merchant Navy class is exquisite, I really would like on on my shelf.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Another pleasant afternoon on the LN.  Almost at the detailing stage now. That still means plenty of work to do it though.  I love the seats can flip up & down and damper controls that can move, a very nice touch but deft use of the soldering iron is required so prevent them ending up as none working.

The fall plate has a good idea, it has L shaped brackets that sot into the floor and a quick twist under of the bracket ends under the floor secures the plate and give smooth and faultless operation. (Something to look at in all my future fall plate builds.)

post-150-0-38555200-1400087403.jpg

post-150-0-62050800-1400087423.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Some years ago Lord Nelson was under repair at Steamtown I had a chance to chat with George Hinchcliffe about the loco. He told me that LN was a strong engine rather than a powerful one. I made the cardinal error of not asking questions about something you do not understand. To this day I am still unsure about the difference between strong and powerful in locomotive terms.

Hi Geoff.  Definition of strong/powerful is:   Strong - the ability to move heavy trains.  Powerful - the ability to accelerate quickly under load.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

today sees the build all but completed.   Monday will see it cleaned up and primed. The the final assembly.

It's been a long time building due to spending every morning doing a repaint throughout the house. That's a heck of a lot of cutting in. Still not finished though.

The LN just needs buffers/couplings to sort out and fit.

Anyway here's how it's looking before the big cleanup.

post-150-0-05763300-1400357069.jpg

post-150-0-35270800-1400357087.jpg

post-150-0-83546100-1400357102.jpg

• Like 9