Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Love it!  Those are the engines which got me interested in British Prototype to begin with, via some Model Engineer's magazines from the 50s and 60s my father acquired when I was a teen.  First one I picked up was the beginning of building a 3.5" gauge version, and I loved the lines and proportions of the engine.

would love to get my hands on one of those kits.  David Andrews announced he was going to do them, but that seems to be on hold right now...

Getting on now with the C12.  So far, so good. (It's nice to be building what seems to be a simple uncomplicated job, fingers crossed)

The chassis has gone together with no issues. Ti has been designed to have the motor on the leading driver, so I've sprung the rear driver for downward movement only. The trailing axle is sprung for upwards by 1.5mm and downwards be 0.75mm. 

So that should give a nice ride on the track.  I will be adding lead weights to balance it up as well as make her a bit heavier as she is quite a light model.

Very nice slots and tabs the line up accurately and need no cleaning out.

post-150-0-26533900-1406820813_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all. Update on Slater's rusty wheels.

I received a nice reply from David White (Slater's) apologising for the trouble this caused. He has informed me that they are now going to dip wheels in light oil before sealing them in the packages.

That should resolve the problem and thank you to Slater's.

• Like 5

Progress made today.  The body is going well. You have to be very careful getting the bends spot on. I had to have a couple of goes to them right.

The side tanks have been filled with lead weigh right between the drivers.

The issue so far is the cab roof is designed to be a complete unit. This is going to give some head scratching if I need to make it removable. It will depend on the outcome when I make and install the boiler unit tomorrow.

post-150-0-53367900-1406993399.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all. Update on Slater's rusty wheels.

I received a nice reply from David White (Slater's) apologising for the trouble this caused. He has informed me that they are now going to dip wheels in light oil before sealing them in the packages.

That should resolve the problem and thank you to Slater's.

Sorry to say but this could cause it's own problems in that the "plastic" wheel centres could absorb the oil and that could make it harder to get the paint to stick to that part of the wheels, it can be bad enough now at times.

I clean the wheels in cellulose thinners then in meths to work as a degreaser, that works most of the time. I would like to be able to get hold of Trichloroethane as this is the best cleaner / degreaser that I have ever used.    

Maybe it would be better if Mr. White stopped using A) the cheapest mild steel he can get, or B] use  a better quality cutting fluid. He will have to clean the steel rims before the wheel centres are injected on to them, but you can get cutting fluid that the temp. that the "plastic" is injected will remove it. So the fit should be OK.

A number of years back I did mention to him about using fluteless tapping of his axles as this works very well on CNC M/Cs but looking at the swarf that comes out of the axle holes he is still using normal taps.

Edited by ozzyo

Progress made today.  The body is going well. You have to be very careful getting the bends spot on. I had to have a couple of goes to them right.

The side tanks have been filled with lead weigh right between the drivers.

The issue so far is the cab roof is designed to be a complete unit. This is going to give some head scratching if I need to make it removable. It will depend on the outcome when I make and install the boiler unit tomorrow.

attachicon.gifIMG_1992.jpg

Hi Ken

I made a Jinty roof like this removable by making the front tab slots in the tank top slightly wider on the inside of the cab, and adding a scrap of etch bottom of the tabs or a length of wire if the tabs are long enough, so it went into the slot slid forwards that held the front in place. The back I added another piece that sat over the coal space and was solder to the rear of the cab top. This was drill clearance for 12BA and holes in the top of the coal space tapped. That then held the rear in place which stopped the front coming out.

Sorry to say but this could cause it's own problems in that the "plastic" wheel centres could absorb the oil and that could make it harder to get the paint to stick to that part of the wheels, it can be bad enough now at times.

I clean the wheels in cellulose thinners then in meths to work as a degreaser, that works most of the time. I would like to be able to get hold of Trichloroethane as this is the best cleaner / degreaser that I have ever used.    

Maybe it would be better if Mr. White stopped using A) the cheapest mild steel he can get, or B] use  a better quality cutting fluid. He will have to clean the steel rims before the wheel centres are injected on to them, but you can get cutting fluid that the temp. that the "plastic" is injected will remove it. So the fit should be OK.

A number of years back I did mention to him about using fluteless tapping of his axles as this works very well on CNC M/Cs but looking at the swarf that comes out of the axle holes he is still using normal taps.

Ozzyo

I do not think you can get trichloroethylene any more I think it was band because it is a hydrocarbon and bad for the ozone layer. We used to use it in hot vapour cleaners for our clock case parts before stove enameling.. I agree nothing worked quite like it.

Hi Ken

I made a Jinty roof like this removable by making the front tab slots in the tank top slightly wider on the inside of the cab, and adding a scrap of etch bottom of the tabs or a length of wire if the tabs are long enough, so it went into the slot slid forwards that held the front in place. The back I added another piece that sat over the coal space and was solder to the rear of the cab top. This was drill clearance for 12BA and holes in the top of the coal space tapped. That then held the rear in place which stopped the front coming out.

Ozzyo

I do not think you can get trichloroethylene any more I think it was band because it is a hydrocarbon and bad for the ozone layer. We used to use it in hot vapour cleaners for our clock case parts before stove enameling.. I agree nothing worked quite like it.

Peter, Ozzyo

a quick search of ebay in the UK shows that trichloroethylene is still available to buy as a degreaser - see item 

or just search for trichloroethylene (this is the same as trichloroethane)  

regards

Tony

trichloroethylene (this is the same as trichloroethane)

:no: :no:

Quite different compounds with many different properties but some similarities - eg toxicity..

Trichloroethylene : trichloroethylene.png

Trichloroethane : trichloroethane.png

Edited by Kenton

Peter, Ozzyo

a quick search of ebay in the UK shows that trichloroethylene is still available to buy as a degreaser - see item 

or just search for trichloroethylene (this is the same as trichloroethane)  

regards

Tony

I just realised that I should not have said that trichloroethylene is the same as trichloroethane - they are different solvents.  However the ebay item is for trichloroethylene which is used as a degreaser.

Tony

Getting back to the C12. (BTW I use UPVC Frame Cleaner/restorer/degreaser on plastic, works extremely well)

The smoke box assembly was a delight, all fitting very well.

post-150-0-50449200-1407084855.jpg

The inner wrapper was rolled and bent to shape, soldering all round the edges.

post-150-0-09092400-1407085007.jpg

After rounding off the edges from & rear the outer wrapper was solder on.

post-150-0-81494800-1407085099.jpg

Now for making the cab assembly removable.  I soldered the trim over the the firebox the the cab front. Then cut a semi circle piece from scrap and soldered that below the trim making a snug fit for the firebox rear the push between them.

post-150-0-04951500-1407085134.jpg

The cab sits nicely in place and held firmly at the front.

post-150-0-96113500-1407085374.jpg

The rear of the cab is held in place with an 8BA bolt though an L bracket soldered to the cab rear.  This will be hidden with coal after painting.

post-150-0-51439100-1407085554.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

An enjoyable day finishing the C12 build. (Just buffers/couplings & sand pipes to add.)

Took a bit of time making the pipework along the valances using 40thou wire and brass toning for the corner angles. The securing brackets were fashioned from narrow thin strip.

Another mod was adding the rivets to the smoke box door and hinges. The casting did not have them.  I drilled a series of .75mm holes and made the rivets from .75 wire. A very tight push fit.

Additional to the kit is the steam pipes from my scrap box.

I have used a photo of loco 67397 for the build.

post-150-0-50422200-1407260201.jpg

post-150-0-00066200-1407260056_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Nice looking engine Ken but what on earth is .." brass toning for the corner angles".  Did you mean 'tubing' , or is this a technique I have not come across before??

Regards

Sandy

I am really glad you asked that.............I was wondering the same!

David

Hi, yes it was meant to say tubing.  I have Apple spell check that completes a word for you. Mostly very good,BUT a pain at times as it completes completely the wrong word :dontknow:

As It says in the thread, it's a GNR/LNER/BR C12 class. This model will be painted in BR livery.

Hello.

A quick question about the C12: in the pictures there appears to be a screw/bolt head between the two wheels on the front bogie. (How) is this intended to be disguised? I would have thought that it would be very visible in that position?

Thank you for any forthcoming response,

David.

Right on Sandy.

I have given the bogie bolt my usual treatment by thinning well down prior to painting. Barely noticeable from normal viewing angles,

Not been a bad kit to build at all. Just a few minor modifications and additions.

post-150-0-23437100-1407403307.jpg

The components 

post-150-0-79867700-1407403031.jpg

post-150-0-92244100-1407403045.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7