Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Very little achieved today, just an hour on the WB. (Drove up to the Wirral to visit my 92 year mum)

At least I got the soldering stage of the etches all done.  Tomorrow, after a morning doing more painting the hall/landing & stairs, I hope to get the castings prepared and most of them attached.

post-150-0-63246200-1398801266.jpg

post-150-0-65314500-1398801251.jpg

• Like 5

Your only chance is now on ebay.

It is not in the MOK range (although it is a MOK designed kit).

Sanspareil, who supplied the MOK Lord Nelson kits, are currently no longer available.  (I do stand correct if anyone knows differently, of course)

Yes, I have forgotten Ace now have this kit.  Beats me how they sell it at £169.99 inc p & p bearing in mind the original cost of the kit and the sheer volume of etchings & casting there is in the kit. :scratchhead:

Edited by jazz

Just received information that ACE have their own version of the class. So that is possibly not the MOK one in their listing although they do have that kit.

Hi Jeff. I did not know about Butler Henderson.

Anyway, today, I have just completed the tender. (Not a single white metal casting to had in this kit.)

Now it's time to tackle the smokey end.

post-150-0-09930000-1399038572.jpg

post-150-0-35864100-1399038582.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Peter.  This afternoon I read through the many pages of instructions and dug out the etches for the chassis.  I have stared by removing some of them and got them ready to start construction tomorrow.

Photo of the etches.  I do like that vast majority of the parts have the part number etched on them. (Only the small parts do no, they are alongside them)

There are etches for both 32mm and S7. These are identified in the instructions so confusion is not an issue.

post-150-0-14137900-1399060775.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Guest Isambarduk

"Come up and see my etchings ..."

Heard it before ... except that the 1970s railway modellers' joke (it was a cartoon in a mag somewhere) was of a young modeller saying to a young women "If you wait here, I'll bring my etchings down."  Ho ho ho ho ho ..... :-))

This isn't the exact one that I remember but it's the same idea:

thurber.jpg

I am still amazed at the accuracy of the etches on this kit.  Parts fit so well you can assemble them without solder getting all squared up very accurate before soldering up. The photos so this.

The two photos are all solder up and show the very nice method of springing of the axles. There are two 'forks' that have the axle bushes attached and are bent down a couple of mills that provide the springing.

The second photo shows the very neat sliding 'table' that provides the side movement of the bogie.

post-150-0-59839800-1399148426.jpg

post-150-0-20892900-1399148442.jpg

This image shows the firebox assembled without soldering up plus other sub assemblies

post-150-0-87438600-1399148461.jpg

The cylinder parts are fitted, again no solder. The instructions suggest not soldering up until the chassis is assembled. A great way to build a loco, very impressed. I will be treating myself to an MOK for my own collection, I think.

post-150-0-73101900-1399148480.jpg

• Like 9

Looking superb ken, MOK kits do look superb, I'm looking forward to my 9f. I wonder if this one will reappear in there range again or if it was done just for sanspareil.

Lord Nelson was turned on Ranelagh Bridge when it arrived at paddington to work a Home Counties rail tour to swindon smoke box first!!