The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Wat have they done to Thomas?

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Well I suppose it had to happen - let a load of trendies and idiots takeover something they don't understand and what do you get?  Not just strange foreign engines (including a Brazilian Sentinel  :scratchhead: ) but girl engines :O  :O   I ask you - girl engines, everybody knows that the engines are boys and the coaches are girls - where were these people brought up?

What has the world come to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3512829/Meet-Raul-Yong-Bao-Ashima-new-characters-brought-help-revamp-Thomas-Tank-Engine.html

I am quite surprised they haven't got a pink carriage that used to be a locomotive, but received "educational therapy" and is now undergoing conversion to a carriage.

Hmmm I think we could make comparisons between real life and ttte ad infinitum, but I am sure that it would result in either topic locking or prosecution by the state for thought crimes.

I am quite surprised they haven't got a pink carriage that used to be a locomotive, but received "educational therapy" and is now undergoing conversion to a carriage.

Toby the trans-engine?

Off to prison now for hate crimes :(

• RMweb Premium

I am missing Ivan, the Russian P36, or is that not a target market?

I suspect Raul may prove pernickety and short of steam....

Dava

I can't say I have any real issue with female engines, and they don't exactly seem to be a new addition. A quick google reveals the following further to jwealleans' point above:

Daisy - 1986 (admittedly a diesel railcar, but one which I believe is also in the books)

Emily - 2003

Molly - 2005

Rosie - 2006

Belle - 2011

Meanwhile, apparently misplaced from the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph informs us "why liberal parents hate Thomas the Tank Engine"

You couldn't make it up...

Daisy does indeed appear in the books, being described as "highly sprung". There was also a diesel Shunter in the Wisbech and Upwell style named Mavis.

Meanwhile, apparently misplaced from the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph informs us "why liberal parents hate Thomas the Tank Engine"

And users on parenting website Mumsnet have criticised the series, now called Thomas & Friends, for being sexist, with one mother, wokeupwithasmile, highlighting an episode in which a female engine is scolded for not doing the laundry in time.

I don't think sexism is the only fault with that story line.

Thomas is a poor vehicle for inclusivity as every story (the proper ones at least) is about how not conforming leads to mayhem and tank engines in peoples breakfasts.

I don't think sexism is the only fault with that story line.Thomas is a poor vehicle for inclusivity as every story (the proper ones at least) is about how not conforming leads to mayhem and tank engines in peoples breakfasts.

Well, true enough; there are engines red, green and blue, but no Black Five..

• RMweb Gold

A rtr steam sentinel in the Thomas range may have potential for another industrial?

Mark Saunders

Are you stupid mark, it's Brazilian so it will be 5'6" gauge so useless!

Mavis was a female loco, I'm sure both her and Daisey were referred to a highly stung in the original books.

No wonder the isle of sodor didn't go for mass dieselisation if they had massive failures every 28 days!

• RMweb Premium

I note that Thomas's new Chinease and Brazilian friends have buffers AND buckeye couplers (of the non dropable variety) meaning they won't be much use either in their home countries or on Sodor. At least Thomas's Indian friend has compatible (and realistic) couplings.

Are you stupid mark, it's Brazilian so it will be 5'6" gauge so useless!

Mavis was a female loco, I'm sure both her and Daisey were referred to a highly stung in the original books.

No wonder the isle of sodor didn't go for mass dieselisation if they had massive failures every 28 days!

Ireland is 5' 3" and there are plenty of rtr 4mm model to run on HO track so I doubt it will stop Hornby!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

No wonder small children are getting more and more psychologically unhinged from an earlier age, have these f#ckwits consulted the target audience to if this is what they want?

No, I thought not.

All my kids and grandkids wanted from Thomas and Friends was trains going as fast as possible and spectacular crashes.

I despair of the modern world.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I liked Thomas the Tank Engine the way it was. Dare I say it , a quaint old English charm. Yes OK locos were mainly men , but had manners and were chivalrous . Cheeky engines always got their just deserts. It's a world frankly I quite liked. What's wrong with that? It brought me up to respect values , taught me a few principals along the way. It hasn't led me to demean females. I just recognised that they were more likely to be into dolls than trains.

I'm really sad that the trendy liberals, as with a lot of things in this country , have got there hands on it. It's been going on since Britt Allcroft .Thomas in the Enchanted Forrest indeed! There will be a backlash . I forecast Trump the big American Mallet building a wall so that the Mexican Engine can't get in . Now there's a spin on Henry's Tunnel for you!

Archived