East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

47 minutes ago, Crun said:

An article that looks at the possible future of Lincolnshire railways:

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/?p=723221

I very much doubt that there would be enough potential passenger traffic.  Louth going north maybe and Boston going south through Spalding.  Mablethorpe is mainly made up of retired people who are not commuters.

If you can find a copy of The Railway History of Lincoln by J.G. Ruddock & R.E. Pearson ISBN 0 904327 04 3 first published in 1974 it gives a very good insight of how and why the railways first came about in Lincolnshire.  A very good read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

I have seen three use it today, all on the down line.

Apparently some drivers have raised concerns regarding the position of signal P490 on the up line coming out of the dive under at Cock Lane.  Their concern is being stopped there and having to restart on the incline with a heavy train.

It is going to stay there for awhile.  Lloyds Bank are looking to develop that field and have requested not to have the topsoil replaced.

Mick, Thanks for the latest news. I must have picked a quiet time for the dive-under. I will try again tomorrow as it is sunny again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Apparently some drivers have raised concerns regarding the position of signal P490 on the up line coming out of the dive under at Cock Lane.  Their concern is being stopped there and having to restart on the incline with a heavy train.

It is going to stay there for awhile.  Lloyds Bank are looking to develop that field and have requested not to have the topsoil replaced.

Will they be opening a turf account? ;) :)

• Funny 2

From occasional eye-balling of the online signalling sites over the last couple of days there does appear to be a marked reluctance for up trains to use the dive-under.  Network rail needs to get this sorted, or the DfT won't be very impressed that they're not using their new £200 million bit of train set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Manitoba said:

From occasional eye-balling of the online signalling sites over the last couple of days there does appear to be a marked reluctance for up trains to use the dive-under.  Network rail needs to get this sorted, or the DfT won't be very impressed that they're not using their new £200 million bit of train set.

Apologies if I've missed something, but what is it that Network Rail needs to sort, has a fault occurred with the new line? 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Manitoba said:

From what I have seen there may have been some signalling issues on the up line earlier last week that might have had some impact. Also the timetable changes needed to properly utilise the dive under won't, I believe, go live until next May.

Another issue has been raised elsewhere by someone who is/was a timetable planner insofar as GBRF have, according to him, their main loco and rolling stock maintenance depot on the up side of the mainline so he suggested all of their traffic will still run down the up relief/slow and then cross from the yard on the existing ladder set up. I can see that argument for traffic that needs to use the facilities but I'm not sure they are as extensive as he suggests or used by rail traffic as much as he seems to think ...

My research suggests that Peterborough is their Fleet Management and Control Centre as well as housing Training. There have been intermodal sidings built but, overheard on a recent rail trip, was the comment that they will not be used. GBRF also state that a wagon maintenance facility is planned for the site. The planners comments are also undermined by the fact that DB Cargo UK maintain GBRF class 60 locomotives at Toton whilst the 66's are dealt with at Doncaster ...

Edited by Richard E
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I thought GBRF 66s went to the EMD Roberts road at Doncaster. Leister does some work as well, but it is only the 60s that use toton?

Yes, my bad - now corrected.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/12/2021 at 19:28, Richard E said:

From what I have seen there may have been some signalling issues on the up line earlier last week that might have had some impact. Also the timetable changes needed to properly utilise the dive under won't, I believe, go live until next May.

Nearly all GBRF down trains via Spalding are scheduled to use the dive under, something like 7 did during Monday.

Hardly any up trains scheduled to use it.

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Nearly all GBRF down trains via Spalding are scheduled to use the dive under, something like 7 did during Monday.

Do you have any times please?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

Do you have any times please?

I just look on Real Time Trains for Freight via Marholm Junction:

Anything from Felixstowe to the NE is a good starting point.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:MRHLMJN/2021-12-16/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Using the same search you can look at previous days e.g. yesterday:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:MRHLMJN/2021-12-15/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

You can see the times they actually passed Marholm Jn.

Click on service to see full times

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I just look on Real Time Trains for Freight via Marholm Junction:

Anything from Felixstowe to the NE is a good starting point.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:MRHLMJN/2021-12-16/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

Using the same search you can look at previous days e.g. yesterday:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:MRHLMJN/2021-12-15/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

You can see the times they actually passed Marholm Jn.

Click on service to see full times

Many thanks for the advice. I will have a look, scribble down the times and try and photograph something using the south portal from the Cock Lane bridge. Cheers!

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Crun said:

Many thanks for the advice. I will have a look, scribble down the times and try and photograph something using the south portal from the Cock Lane bridge. Cheers!

Just take your phone and look in "real time" when you are there!

Kev.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

I wonder if that is because the up trains are accessing the GBRF 'depot' facilities whilst the down trains are not.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I wonder if that is because the up trains are accessing the GBRF 'depot' facilities whilst the down trains are not.

If that's the case it could have been a single track tunnel.........:jester:

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It's quite possible that some of these stops are for crew changes. You can see why staff at the end of their shift would prefer to be at the depot rather than some distance away by the railway station. I don't think loco changes are that common, based on looking at the allocated locos on Realtime, usually if there has been a failure or a loco has been worked to Peterborough for attention.

John.

P.S. Whilst I'm confident that GBRf are the heaviest user of the Joint Line, don't forget that both DBS and Freightliner also have a number of scheduled services in the course of a normal day.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Added P.S.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

Views from the Hurn Road bridge.

Tree clearance around a brook:

20211216_130052.jpg

20211216_130058.jpg

20211216_130148.jpg

Isn't that in someones front 'garden'? If so I doubt it is anything to do with the Werrington works.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

It's quite possible that some of these stops are for crew changes. You can see why staff at the end of their shift would prefer to be at the depot rather than some distance away by the railway station. I don't think loco changes are that common, based on looking at the allocated locos on Realtime, usually if there has been a failure or a loco has been worked to Peterborough for attention.

John.

P.S. Whilst I'm confident that GBRf are the heaviest user of the Joint Line, don't forget that both DBS and Freightliner also have a number of scheduled services in the course of a normal day.

Agreed but the original comment referenced the GBRF flows. It also ties in with the trackplanners comment that I referred to earlier about the GBRF depot and there still being the need to cross further south. Still we are getting caught up in minutiae and speculation here, let's enjoy the dive under for what it is - a rather innovative piece of engineering ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Isn't that in someones front 'garden'? If so I doubt it is anything to do with the Werrington works.

Is there actually a brook there? One crosses under Hurn road on the other boundary of that property, where the new fence is.

It's a newish house, where previously was a horses' paddock.

• Agree 2